Scottish Locomotives

kingfisher24

I'd agree it's probably Connell Ferry. I had seen the bridge, which fits with Connell Ferry. Also, the engines seem to be well coaled. I don't think engines which had started from Oban or Glasgow (or even Stirling) would have that much coal on the tenders by Balquhidder Junction (Jim49's other possibility).

I was trying to check something associated with the person walking along the platform on the left of the picture. I haven't managed to find the reference, so this is from memory. IIRC, this happened in BR days - I was trying to find out if it was done earlier too. With some trains, Oban crews would take them out to Connel Ferry, meet a train coming to Oban, swap footplates and take that train the short distance back to Oban. That person walking towards the camera looks to me like engine crew. I wonder if he's come off the train I believe is on the other side of the island platform (going towards Oban) and is about to get onto 14622 and head back towards Callander and Glasgow?

Anyway (and I should have said this before), it's a very nice picture.

(Edit to correct engine number)

Edited by pH
  • Like 1

Not Dalmally, signal box is on the wrong side and the station building should have a stand alone canopy. I'm a bit stumped by this one, Strathyre is similar, but doesn't quite match and I've had a good rake through a few books trying to place this photo. Are we sure it's on the C&O?

It must have been noticed by now that as a dyed in the wool Southern (Railway & Region) modeller, I have a soft spot for all things Scots. After some 30 years of enduring "Why does a Yorkshire man model the Southern?", I cannot bring myself to directly model north of the border but I have exhibited at both the Glasgow and Perth shows and indeed will be at the latter show again later this year.

To prove a point, I offer a view of a loco that I managed to see in a wood-yard near  Bo'ness on Thursday August 23rd 1962. It runs on my layout as a tribute to those fine locos. 

post-276-0-93530100-1396450655.jpg

Way back in the 1990's I was concerned with a Southern Electric layout, "Chessington (Chalk Lane) and we were put in our places by an old soldier who pointed out that we had shackled down a Saracen armoured car wrongly on a Lowmac and I felt I should pass on that information to Kingfisher24. In short, the securing chains should not be parallel but they should cross over each other. 

post-276-0-32624600-1396450967.jpg

I hope this is useful as always.

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

It must have been noticed by now that as a dyed in the wool Southern (Railway & Region) modeller, I have a soft spot for all things Scots. After some 30 years of enduring "Why does a Yorkshire man model the Southern?", I cannot bring myself to directly model north of the border but I have exhibited at both the Glasgow and Perth shows and indeed will be at the latter show again later this year.

To prove a point, I offer a view of a loco that I managed to see in a wood-yard near  Bo'ness on Thursday August 23rd 1962. It runs on my layout as a tribute to those fine locos. 

attachicon.gifD11 2.JPG

Way back in the 1990's I was concerned with a Southern Electric layout, "Chessington (Chalk Lane) and we were put in our places by an old soldier who pointed out that we had shackled down a Saracen armoured car wrongly on a Lowmac and I felt I should pass on that information to Kingfisher24. In short, the securing chains should not be parallel but they should cross over each other. 

attachicon.gifmed_gallery_10572_1731_192090.jpg

I hope this is useful as always.

Judge

Thanks for that i will hange the chain when i dig the wagon out before going to the perth show, you say you are going to perth this year what layout are you going with, i will call in and say hello.

Kingfisher

• 3 weeks later...

gresley V4 no 61700 Bantam Cock made from an old East Coast Joint Models kit . The loco is my first attempt at a loco with valve gear and i was quite surprised  at how easy the valve gear etc was to assemble. The loco has turned out quite well and runs very nicely. There are still one or two more little jobs that need doing before the Perth show at the end of the month, such as brakes, cab interior ad crew etc but in the main the loco is complete. I did originally intend to have the loco in lner green with br number but 61700 never ran in this condition, going from lner black straight to BR black in 1948/9. The loco may also recieve a light weathering to the motion and chassis etc.

post-10572-0-07467000-1402254132_thumb.jpg

kingfisher

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Another highland one here- Clan Fraser in early LMS livery. Very little personal input  on this one- bought off eBay, and relieving me of the need to tackle an unmade Jidenco one lying in the cupboard, thank goodness. Hadn't the heart to strip the red off, so for the moment it is way off my timescale, but looks rather nice as it is. I toned down the glossy finish, and added various little bits here and there, but stands as a testament to someone who's brass building skills far outweigh my own.

attachicon.gifIMG_1118-crop.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1119-crop.JPG

Sorry still fancy the idea of the Clan joining the Loch, the Castle and the Hill Tank in early British Railways livery, as railway modelling is a fantasy world for most of us anyway. If you wanted to cop out of the lining, how about early unlined black with BRITISH RAILWAYS along the tender and large numbers on the cabside. Tempted myself to indulge in such things on the assumption that Black Fives were rare north of Perth, inspite of 63A having more of the things than anywhere else.

Do like your layouts past and present keep the updates going please.

Kevin

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Black 5s rare north of Perth? Hardly. Certainly through the 50s,the (as you say) huge 63A allocation,together with the 30 or so examples allocated to 60A,had a virtual monopoly of long-distance passenger and freight traffic on the HML. Ditto,the Far North and Kyle lines.

DR

• RMweb Gold

Black 5s rare north of Perth? Hardly. Certainly through the 50s,the (as you say) huge 63A allocation,together with the 30 or so examples allocated to 60A,had a virtual monopoly of long-distance passenger and freight traffic on the HML. Ditto,the Far North and Kyle lines.

DR

Thats the point... Why I would go for lots of ex HR locos kept on because of a lack of Black Fives on a fantasy Highlands based layout. Whereas in reality it seems every second train in the Highlands had a Black Five in charge during the 1950s until the arrival of the Sulzers in the early 1960s. We would assume the LMS kept on a wide variety of HR locos all repaired at Lochgorm and even took in a few Pickersgill 4-4-0s and 4-6-0s too.

I recall when I lived in Perth in Western Australia during the 1980s one respected EM modeller couldn't resist doing a Lima Western Class 52 in Great Western Green with a GWR roundel and it looked great too, all on the assumption that the GWR carried on after 1948 from Swindon. There will always be those who make a fuss and say no no no....

Go on enjoy yourselves instead.

But please no Deltics in Porterbrook real or model in my line of vision please!

Kevin

• Like 1

Sorry still fancy the idea of the Clan joining the Loch, the Castle and the Hill Tank in early British Railways livery, as railway modelling is a fantasy world for most of us anyway. If you wanted to cop out of the lining, how about early unlined black with BRITISH RAILWAYS along the tender and large numbers on the cabside. Tempted myself to indulge in such things on the assumption that Black Fives were rare north of Perth, inspite of 63A having more of the things than anywhere else.

Kevin

Don't forget the Small Ben! Must confess this is very much the scenario that has evolved over the last couple of years on the layout as the backlog of Highland engines has rolled out. It was a combination of the longevity of a good proportion of NB and CR locos into early and late BR liveries and the early demise of the HR classes that led me to a modellers relaxation of the LMS standardisation programme, and the retention of the more useful -ie ones I had built ! - HR types in the longer term. As you say, fantasy in some form or another is often a mainstay of railway modelling, and I am finding my forward reaching of the Indian summer of the Highland locos quite enjoyable....What is going to happen when I start on uax6's  coaching stock is as of yet an unknown :scratchhead:

Thanks for the interest,  - I'll keep thinking about the Clan.......

• Like 2

Some more snaps of my V4 61700 taken on Glendevon last night. The loco now runs really well and i tested in on a friends outdoor layout and the loco hauled 8 very heavy kitmaster mk1's and forty vans with no problems. I am thinking of either a PDK J36 or Alexander K4 but doubt ill get either of these for £56. The loco is going to be lightly weathered and the valve gear blackened before perthnof time permits, although ive been told by the domestic authority that it looks 'dandy' as it is.post-10572-0-52479700-1403103940_thumb.jpgpost-10572-0-57316500-1403104059_thumb.jpgpost-10572-0-88398600-1403104462_thumb.jpgpost-10572-0-29572200-1403104824_thumb.jpgpost-10572-0-36991500-1403104959_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

I would go for the PDK J36. I have one to build and having seen how their J17, (I know, not Scottish), came out I am really pleased with it.

The Gem one needs a lot of extra work on it and they go for silly money on Ebay, £68.66p the last one I saw recently. The PDK is definitely worth the extra £40. (No connection to PDK).

• RMweb Gold

I was looking at planned releases, and thinking that the forthcoming 'black motor' could potentially be modified to resemble a Caley 'Jumbo'. Think cutting down the length of the smokebox would be the biggest change.

Compare:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_06_2014/post-1-0-17736000-1402649340.jpg

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/singleimage.php?id=26436

I was looking at planned releases, and thinking that the forthcoming 'black motor' could potentially be modified to resemble a Caley 'Jumbo'. Think cutting down the length of the smokebox would be the biggest change.

Compare:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_06_2014/post-1-0-17736000-1402649340.jpg

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/singleimage.php?id=26436

I've looked at this as well and I'm with Ben Alder with this it would make a better Caledonian 812 class as the boiler is pitched too high for the jumbo, the 812 conversion would still need the smoke box cutting back but that's no great problem with a fine saw. It's a shame (for Scottish modelers any way) that Hornby went for the later super heated black moter as the earlier non super heated version had a lower boiler and shorter smoke box and would be near perfect for the jumbo.

The Bachman C class might be a better bet for the jumbo but to do it justivce it would need quite a bit of work round the running plate area on both the engine and tender.

The up coming Hornby J15 might be a better bet with other than reshaping the cab cut outs and a few other detail changes the only major change would be to move the dome further back on the boiler.

At the momment I have three projects on the go (dont we all) the first is the well trod route of a Caledonian 439 0-4-4 tank from an M7 the other two are a Caledonian 782 class 0-6-0 from a Hornby J83 by raising both the bunker and water tanks and lowering the cab roof as well as a few other details and the last one is again from a J83 which will become a Caledonian 104 class 0-4-4 Cathcart circle loco.

So far Ive modified the chassis for the 104 by taking out the rear driving wheels and fitting these onto the center axle to replace the traction tyred ones and am now working on the new rear bogie.

Body wise the 104 class is 31 1/2 ft long and the 782 and J83 30 ft so where as the 782 conversion the body is about the right length I need to find a way to feed in 6mm into the body for the 104 class, half of this is in the bunker but the cab and boiler inbetween the smoke box and side tanks could use an extra couple of mm. What I could do with is a spare Hornby J83 body to take "slices" from differant areas to feed into my body to lengthen it by the 6mm needed so if any one has one I could buy please let me know.

Another idea I'm playing around with is a Caledonian 171 class small 0-4-4 working in the same way as the 104 class by starting with two terrier bodys using sections from one to lengthen the other. Sorry to go on a bit Regards Steve

• Like 1