HS4000 - Stored in Russia

• RMweb Premium

However, the completed locomotive will probably exceed the current weight limit, unless that has been raised in recent years. 135 tons, over 6 axles?

Ian

That's a 22.5t axle load, which IIRC is the same as a cl. 67 (90t over 4 axles).

So, although high and restrictive, not the worst ever.

Everything has a price, and from reading a couple of links a while ago there ard a couple of the v16 blocks still acting as standby generators in France. Offering a replacement modern standby generator may free 1 up, I just need to keep waiting for that Euromillions win......

However, the completed locomotive will probably exceed the current weight limit, unless that has been raised in recent years. 135 tons, over 6 axles?

Classes 60 / 66 - 129 / 130t ? 

Not far off, although maximum speed is also a factor here

• 1 month later...

Ah, I thought I needed to add a full stop between www and brcwco, what a mistake to make!

Yep, 14 year old fantasy page especially with Falcon, Lion, a blue Pullman and some Trans Pennine DMUs planned as well.

Is this not actually a secret Heljan site from a few years back regarding possible 00 gauge models. ;)

The link works for me, but the page doesn't exactly inspire me to donate.... 

From the "History" page on that site;

" In 1878 the company was reformed as the Birmingham Railway Carriage & Wagon Company. The new company started producing high quality coaches that were sold to the 'big four' companies in the UK as well as railways around the world.

That's funny, I always thought the "big four" weren't formed till 1923

• RMweb Gold

I like the fact that whilst there is a prominently displayed PayPal donate button the contact page is completely blank.

That's a shame, I have some genuine Blue Pullman body panels that I could sell him...

if you do not put the dot in between the www and the brcwco then it works and they also have a facebook page if you look up the "Birmingham Railway Carriage and Wagon Company Ltd"

so the web link is wwwbrcwco.moonfruit.com

Why put in a 'www' (without the fullstop) when it wasn't required - just led to confusion as most of us of a certain age remember everything started with 'WWW dot'

Mind, it sort of goes with the website - what's the point in it, somebody wanting to recreate Kestrel, Lion, Falcon, a Blue Pullman and a Trans Pennine Unit.

Just had a look in my garage under some sheeting, it seems I have them all stored in there along with Shergar and Lord Lucan.  If anyone wants them I accept Paypal.

Is the Lynton and Barnstable's Lew in there as well?

I'm confused by the 'new' BRCW website. Especially the bit about DMUs. The logic seems to be that new builds are required because the only ones now available for purchase need restoring. They've not entirely grasped how heritage railways work.  

I just happen to have a shed load of Russian razor blades produced in late 1993.

You don't think, could it be, might it be, that just possibly I am shaving....................

...............using some old commie razors.

Fantasy some of those linked websites may be, but it does lead to one possibility for anyone serious about wanting to build a Kestrel replica - why start with a class 47, when a TEP70 seems to have a direct lineage from Kestrel?

• RMweb Premium

Like the waffle about the bogies being copied by the Russians.

Do they mean as a Co-Co as the actual bogies of a Tep70 are nothing like Kestrel's?

Tep70

http://siissalo.it.helsinki.fi/4rmedia/est/est_rzd_tep70nr15043987_narva_200709_L.jpg

Kestrel

http://glostransporthistory.visit-gloucestershire.co.uk/images/RapKestrel.jpg

Keith

Tracking down the 16 cylinder engine is the big stumbling block. Not impossible but you would have to negotiate with a french power station......

Plus, yes technology from hs4000 may have gone into russian engine, but as a starting point a 47 is closer than the very out of UK gauge Russian option.

But don't worry, as soon as I win euro millions I'll get right on it ;)

Archived