Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

Astonished! Ordered a Bachmann 47 at 0720am Sunday, and it arrived before 11.00am today (Monday) here in Cardiff via Yodel.

I placed an order to Cardiff last Saturday and it took until Tuesday to arrive - I thought that was a little slow so perhaps it's because the 350 I ordered came from the Warehouse?

Ordered a number of items on Sunday 11th and they arrived Monday afternoon.  Excellent processing, packaging and handling.  Even Yodel had their act together!  So, an experience just like others above.  Yes, but one item (new not s/h) was DOA.  Return was handled effectively and I had the replacement by Friday lunchtime.

Now that IS good customer service.

• Like 1

Ordered some stuff on Tuesday - despatched same day. Unfortunately, being an idiot, I opted for 'Yodel 24 hour', which means -of course- that the package has disappeared entirely. Yodel told me it was out for delivery yesterday, then again today, but when it didn't arrive they then said it wasn't out for delivery at all and they couldn't say when it would arrive.

Hattons are a great retailer - superb customer service, genuinely a pleasure to deal with (and I'm sure they will get this sorted out pronto). I've been using them for years and will continue to do so.

Yodel, however, are every bit as hopeless as their reputation suggests. Next time I'll stick with Royal Mail.

I placed an order to Cardiff last Saturday and it took until Tuesday to arrive - I thought that was a little slow so perhaps it's because the 350 I ordered came from the Warehouse?

Everything  is   despatched  from  the  Widnes  warehouse!

I would have thought that EVERYTHING came/was despatched from the warehouse. The clue is in the name

• RMweb Gold

Ordered some stuff on Tuesday - despatched same day. Unfortunately, being an idiot, I opted for 'Yodel 24 hour', which means -of course- that the package has disappeared entirely. Yodel told me it was out for delivery yesterday, then again today, but when it didn't arrive they then said it wasn't out for delivery at all and they couldn't say when it would arrive.

Hattons are a great retailer - superb customer service, genuinely a pleasure to deal with (and I'm sure they will get this sorted out pronto). I've been using them for years and will continue to do so.

Yodel, however, are every bit as hopeless as their reputation suggests. Next time I'll stick with Royal Mail.

Gary please can I share an experience with you? As well as using the "radio buttons" on the order form to select royal mail, it is also worth putting a comment on your order like "please never use yodel for my orders" I was advised to do this by the Hattons staff because occasionally if they are packing an order on a day with no RM collection and Yodel would be the same cost, they might swap to yodel thinking it will be quicker. I was very lucky when this happened to me as I was home when the email notification arrived so I was sble to ring them and get it repackaged for a RM collection.

Hope this is useful

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The experiences both I and my wife have had with Yodel is in sharp contrast to others, being both quick and efficient. When I ordered goods from Hattons late on a friday a few weeks back I did not expect to get it until the middle of the next week. However it was picked and packed on the Saturday, Yodel collected it late on Sunday, and I had it on the Essex coast before mid-day on the Monday, as well as being able to track the parcel at all stages of it's journey - far better info than most rivals.

Try doing that with Royal Mail these days, who now virtually don't work weekends as far as collections/mail movement goes.

Izzy

• Like 2

Gary please can I share an experience with you? As well as using the "radio buttons" on the order form to select royal mail, it is also worth putting a comment on your order like "please never use yodel for my orders" I was advised to do this by the Hattons staff because occasionally if they are packing an order on a day with no RM collection and Yodel would be the same cost, they might swap to yodel thinking it will be quicker. I was very lucky when this happened to me as I was home when the email notification arrived so I was sble to ring them and get it repackaged for a RM collection.

Hope this is useful

Thanks for the tip - very useful and much appreciated!

For what it's worth, Hattons are currently investigating, but it looks like Yodel have lost the parcel. Hattons themselves are being as helpful as they always are - their customer service is exemplary.

Ordered  another Midland  Pullman  Yesterday (23/10/2015)  at  14-00 hrs,  delivered  today  Royal Mail  08-30Hrs

Yodel   turned up lunch time for a collection of returned goods  booked yesterday latePM  ( Not  railways!!!)

• RMweb Gold

The experiences both I and my wife have had with Yodel is in sharp contrast to others, being both quick and efficient. When I ordered goods from Hattons late on a friday a few weeks back I did not expect to get it until the middle of the next week. However it was picked and packed on the Saturday, Yodel collected it late on Sunday, and I had it on the Essex coast before mid-day on the Monday, as well as being able to track the parcel at all stages of it's journey - far better info than most rivals.

Try doing that with Royal Mail these days, who now virtually don't work weekends as far as collections/mail movement goes.

Izzy

I think it has been well documented elsewhere that both the Royal Mail, Yodel and other couriers are subject to local variations and personal preferences. I think the important thing for me is that retailers are open about who they use, provide a choice for customers wishing to avoid particular services, and communicate this all very clearly. For me, Hattons tick all those boxes. As I said earlier, Hattons seem to like Yodel for the weekend pick ups which allow speedy service, but if you tell them your preference they will comply with it.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip - very useful and much appreciated!

For what it's worth, Hattons are currently investigating, but it looks like Yodel have lost the parcel. Hattons themselves are being as helpful as they always are - their customer service is exemplary.

Well, it took 'em a while longer than I would have hoped for, but Hatton's have finally re-shipped the goods that Yodel lost. Even replacing a used item (of which they only had one) with the new equivalent - AND offering me a small discount on my next purchase.

I will admit that I was getting rather frustrated with the amount of time it took to resolve (next day delivery has turned into over two weeks!), but nevertheless they came through in the end. No doubt I shall be spending more money with them before much longer ;)

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Well, it took 'em a while longer than I would have hoped for, but Hatton's have finally re-shipped the goods that Yodel lost. Even replacing a used item (of which they only had one) with the new equivalent - AND offering me a small discount on my next purchase.

I will admit that I was getting rather frustrated with the amount of time it took to resolve (next day delivery has turned into over two weeks!), but nevertheless they came through in the end. No doubt I shall be spending more money with them before much longer ;)

No doubt a lot of the time has been sent kicking the ar$e of dealing with the courier.

Or more likely thoroughly investigating the claim to ensure that it has been lost

Yodel confirmed that some time ago - part of the problem was getting the replacement signed off by the powers-that-be who had chosen an inconvenient time (for me ;) ) to not be in the office...

Ultimately, though, the whole mess was down to Yodel, not Hattons. The replacement is being shipped via RM and in future I shall simply request that they ship that way. Not a big deal.

It has to be said, they're very good at dealing with a slightly peed-off customer (i.e. me). Professional, friendly and always pleasant, even when things are not going their way. Despite the delays (and a couple of agreed deadlines missed), I have to respect the way they communicate with their customers.

Edited by tersono

This is what I call and is, superb service from Hatton's.

I ordered, had it processed and packed on November 6 and today November 9 at noon it was delivered by DHL.

That is from Liverpool to a small town in the Northern Rocky Mountains of Utah, USA.

I have dealt with Hatton's for years, in person originally in the 1960's and since 1990 through the wonders of todays world.

And always a satisfied customer.

John Flann.

• Like 9

I've not been "annoyed" with Hattons for a long time, but on a recent order they ignored my request to send by Royal Mail and used Yodel instead.  The order was picked/packed on Sunday and obviously some "helpful" person in dispatch decided that I would prefer to get it "next day" and ignored the "Royal Mail" message. (and the order wasn't an odd shape or heavy!)

Thing is, Yodel operatives tend to deliver at unpredictable times, then ring the bell and run away, and you're left with a card and a promise to try again next day.  As happened on Monday. I was lucky on Tuesday and collared the operative before they vanished.  At least with RM, if you miss them, the parcel will be taken back to the local Delivery Office and can be collected in person, which is a 15 minute round trip compared with two hours to the Yodel depot.  I'm not worried that RM will take a day or two longer to arrive. I'd rather not wait about for Yodel to turn up!  And by time they've faffed about, the parcel is in my hands at about the same time as Royal Mail takes to deliver.

Apart from that, Hattons were otherwise helpful and I got the models I wanted.  They just need to pay a little attention to what the customer requests re delivery!

• Like 2

I can't remember what I put on my order back in May, but the order acknowledgement said they would be sent by Royal Mail. When my Dapol Terriers finally arrived last week, the invoice was marked "Yodel Home 24. Not Royal Mail", and they were delivered by Yodel. I'm not bothered, as there is someone here nearly all the time, and the local Yodel driver is pretty good. I suspect that Royal mail may actually be more hassle if there had been no one here when they arrived, although they may just have signed for it themselves and left it somewhere safe.

I've never had an issue with Hattons apart from an occasion when they forgot to despatch my order and it took about 3 weeks but that was years ago.

I am testing this theory out, Placed an order today for a Dapol Class 52, and selected Yodel. Sure enough got a Yodel track code, will see what happens tomorrow :)

I always specify "Royal Mail please, NOT YODEL" and it's often ignored.  Unless it's something that only Hattons have in stock (such as their second hand stuff) I would rather ask my local model shop to get it for me, even if it's a couple of quid dearer it saves £4 or so on postage.

To be honest most courier problems are down to the local drivers rather than the company.

We used to have all sorts of problems with Yodel but now we have had the same driver for several months he is really good.

Some companies just have a faster turnover of drivers than others.

Amazon Logistics can be a nightmare as it's hardly ever the same driver.

Jim