Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

I asked Hattons at Warley when the Class 37 Europheonix would be in (had on pre-order for months) and they said 'within a couple of weeks', quite vague. Rails had their's a couple of weeks ago, even the Class 37 Group had one for sale on their stand at Warley.

Needless to say I cancelled my pre-order and bought from Rails (with free delivery too).

For a major retailer like Hattons not to have new releases as soon as they are out is very odd indeed. I would want to be guaranteed first batches of all new releases if I was purchasing bod at a major retailer.

Hattons must have lost a lot of business through this breakdown in supply.

The Winter 2018 edition of the Bachmann Times, which arrived today, contains an interesting feature on 'Delivering the Goods', in particular the need to completely fill a container before it is despatched. It also states that 'models.....may be held until the full quantity is available so as not to be in a position where we supply one retailer now, but another does not get their stock for many more weeks'. Hmmm.....

I have received "notification of forthcoming items" e-mail.For Bachmann 37-990 37-991 39-421B.All January next year .First such e-mails since early November. 

That could just be because the items are in their inventory of forthcoming items - a lot (not all as some Mk2s made it) of the Oct/Nov stuff - Mk2 coaches, Freightliner flats and wagons are still on pre-order but in stock with other retailers including Bachmann.

If something is In Stock with Bachmann does that mean in their warehouse for supply to retailers?

Could it be the Bachmann took exception to the "sale of the century" ? Holding back stock until it's done.  Such a sale on the run up to Christmas could be seen as prejudicial to new stock sales.  Just a thought.

M

That doesn't tie in with Hattons words

"Here you will find some of the best deals we've ever been able to offer - with a huge range of overstocked locomotives..........."

Doesn't sound as if it'd do any good holding new stock back to the 31st Dec as what's on offer is older slow moving stock, that'd be cutting off ones nose.....

Colin

Edited by BWsTrains

That doesn't tie in with Hattons words

"Here you will find some of the best deals we've ever been able to offer - with a huge range of overstocked locomotives..........."

Doesn't sound as if it'd do any good holding new stock back to the 31st Dec as what's on offer is older slow moving stock, that'd be cutting off ones nose.....

Colin

Maybe the sale was well timed to deal with a forecast cash flow situation coming from not having any new Bachmann product to shift.

• RMweb Premium

What we DO know:

Hattons have not yet got the latest releases of Bachmann stuff. (Eg: Freightliner container flats).

Other suppliers have received this stuff, including Rails and Kernow (who like Hattons also commission other stuff from elsewhere).

It seems to have initiated around the time that Hattons started dealing with other retailers, but also around the time of their sudden ‘sale of the century’ following a period of less competitive pricing than we had been used to. So there are a number of possible triggers for the situation.

We are advised that the two parties are in discussion, so the situation has been acknowledged and is ongoing.

Clearly something in their working relationship has reached a crunch point, and Hattons customers are being affected by this, so there will be growing awareness and inevitably speculation in the public domain. I would imagine that both parties will be keen to resolve this ASAP. However, given the current hiatus in Bachmann’s manufacturing output, perhaps this is a good time for both parties to confront any issues, with much less impact on customers than would otherwise have been the case if manufacturing output was running at normal levels.

As Andy says, we’ll just have to wait for this thing (whatever it may be) to run its course.

Edited by Andy Y

The Swanage Railway shop has recently had a delivery from Bachmann including 38-526 BR Mk1 Horse Box in green and is pleased not to have any completion from Hattons in the run up to Christmas. (The Horse Box is not yet available from Hattons)

Edited by Robin Brasher
  • Like 1

So much for competition in the marketplace benefiting the punters!

I think, as Andy Y has suggested, there are discussions ongoing which will most likely defend and support competition in the market, so this comment is maybe a little shy of the mark.

Whilst I and many other forum members appreciate that Hatton's & Bachmann's business relationship will not be laid bare before everyone within this medium, I do think as a loyal customer of Hatton's and indirectly of Bachmann having invested thousands of pounds over the preceding years and having many more hundreds on pre-order that both parties should at least be affording us some kind of info/statement that we can make some kind of informed decision as to whether we need to make other arrangements regarding the latest releases.

I'm aware of what the mods on here have stated and appreciate that, however this situation has been going on for over a month now and I believe that we as loyal customers just need to hear something of substance.

Come on Hatton's & Bachmann your silence is deafening and your loyal customers deserve better. 

D7100.

• Like 2

Whilst I and many other forum members appreciate that Hatton's & Bachmann's business relationship will not be laid bare before everyone within this medium, I do think as a loyal customer of Hatton's and indirectly of Bachmann having invested thousands of pounds over the preceding years and having many more hundreds on pre-order that both parties should at least be affording us some kind of info/statement that we can make some kind of informed decision as to whether we need to make other arrangements regarding the latest releases.

I'm aware of what the mods on here have stated and appreciate that, however this situation has been going on for over a month now and I believe that we as loyal customers just need to hear something of substance.

Come on Hatton's & Bachmann your silence is deafening and your loyal customers deserve better. 

D7100.

I don't think private business matters between Hattons and Bachmann are any of our business - would you be asking similar questions of Microsoft or Apple if you couldn't get your latest piece of IT from John Lewis?

Previous personal business with either party does not constitute any rights to demand answers, the only time I imagine you might have a right to something would be if you returned a faulty item and either party denied your rights under the terms of the sale.

We all have the choice to wait and see if Hattons receive the latest Bachmann releases or cancel pre-orders and make purchases from one of the many other retailers with stock you want - of course some of the popular stuff has sold out pending re-stocking from Bachmann.

woodenhead, on 05 Dec 2018 - 14:44, said:woodenhead, on 05 Dec 2018 - 14:44, said:

I don't think private business matters between Hattons and Bachmann are any of our business

But it makes good reading on a wet afternoon with a cup of tea and a mince pie.

Edited by Free At Last
  • Like 2

We all have the choice to wait and see if Hattons receive the latest Bachmann releases or cancel pre-orders and make purchases from one of the many other retailers with stock you want - of course some of the popular stuff has sold out pending re-stocking from Bachmann.

We do have the choice but it is not an informed choice as we don't have a clue what is going on, or how long it may last.

Andy Y said on 01/12/2018 post 2032 "pending clarification due to legal considerations."

Is the Honourable Member for RMweb prepared to publish the full Legal Advice?

Imported manufactured goods - delayed delivery to major retailer - silence in the mainstream web media!

Is this a covert Brexit training exercise?

I mentioned Brexit, but I think I got away with it!

Basil.

• RMweb Gold

Crikey. So much lather about a retailer and its relationship with a manufacturer. Are Bachmann goods not available elsewhere either? Is anyone’s modelling seriously being impacted by whatever is or isn’t happening? If you have outstanding Bachmann orders with Hattons then ask them what is going on.

And the demands on here to be told! Why? Get on with your knitting. Or better still do some modelling.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think the simple answer to that is, ask Hattons if you have pre-orders and then make up your mind it's not RMWeb's job to make decisions for you.

TBH,this forum seems to be the preferred channel of communication for a significant number. Rather do it by the relative anonymity of a forum post than  either to pick up a phone and speak directly or discuss as in the case of Hattons over their chat line which is available to all. Instead I familiarly read ,,"Does anyone know.....?" :jester:  :jester:

Is then RMWeb the new Oracle at Delphi and Andy Y the reinvented Zeus....by Jove ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

RMweb is neither judge nor jury.  We have as much detail as we need to know.   We can make informed choices based upon that as indeed I did myself some little time ago now when I chose to cease shopping in Widnes altogether for a variety of reasons not all of which would be within Hattons' control.  

Whether we come to learn more later or not is for the parties directly involved to determine, and only them.  Any suggestion of compromise when there are legal proceedings in progress can be construed as interfering unlawfully with those processes.  I would neither wish to have that accusation laid at my door nor that of the Andy, Warners or anyone else involved here.

TBH,this forum seems to be the preferred channel of communication for a significant number. Rather do it by the relative anonymity of a forum post than  either to pick up a phone and speak directly or discuss as in the case of Hattons over their chat line which is available to all. Instead I familiarly read ,,"Does anyone know.....?" :jester:  :jester:

Is then RMWeb the new Oracle at Delphi and Andy Y the reinvented Zeus....by Jove ?

When my now parked in a corner of the station Maunsell Restaraunt car didn't come into stock at Rails, I rang them, they assured me it was on it's way and that the price would be honored.

You know what happened......they delivered it at the price I had pre-ordered and all was well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nature abhors a vacuum and I suppose that it's only natural that in the absence of cold hard facts rumour, speculation and questions thrive. Man seems to be designed to be curious, it fuels scientific discovery, artistic endeavour and it's also the cause of much rubbernecking at the scene of an accident. Most of us will have no legitimate interest in the nature of what's going on but (as has been suggested above - tea and mince pies) it has a certain draw on a wet Wednesday afternoon.