Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

• RMweb Premium

Then you are both quite fortunate. Over the last few years it often takes far longer than that for them even to consider picking anything I order off the shelves let alone anything else. Now I mostly use other outlets.

I am not surprised they have a much larger warehouse. The amount of new secondhand listed daily makes me wonder where they put it all, and how sustainable carrying it in large volumes will be in the longer term, both in logistics and overheads.

Izzy

I have to agree.  

Prices have been aligned so that many match the competition now rather than being significantly cheaper.  There may be an element of manufacturer's policy driving that.  Picking and transit times are slower than they once were though the latter is somewhat outside of Hattons' control.  Uplift of items, given the quantity they are shifting, should be under some sort of contractual arrangement however.  Matching the field for shelf price, and not always the cheapest for shipping, they would need something else in play to keep ahead.  I don't see it.   

I'm not impressed with the flood of second-hand items.  Some are priced to match new but otherwise identical items; one or two have been re-sales of other retailer's commissions at inflated prices including when the item was available new, and at the slightly lower brand new price, from the "exclusive" commissioning retailer.  It has been their commercial decision to enter that sector of the market and no doubt it is profitable for them.  It is easy to filter out second hand items by ticking the box offered on every search window.   Other businesses keep new and second-hand stock entirely separate which makes a browse of the "shelves" easier and quicker but requires a second search for something which might not be available new.  A case of darned if you do and darned if you don't.  However a rapidly-increasing amount of the second-hand stock is not "like new" and has clearly visible (and usually described) faults.  Some is little more than scrap.  

These matter combined have really put me off Hattons though I still visit to compare prices and make occasional purchases.  And, in fairness, if there ever was to be an item I felt I must have from a back-catalogue I might check their "like new" listings though with a very fine tooth-comb to be satisfied that the purchase really was like new.  

• Like 1

I'm surprised to hear your experience with Hattons, Rick. It certainly contrasts with mine.

I've placed 25 orders with them over the last 6 months for Australian delivery and only one was not picked within 24 hours. Their average order to delivery time is no different to anyone else sending by standard airmail. And if there is another UK retailer that posts more cheaply to Oz please let me know. 

True, Hattons prices are not always the cheapest but their low postage costs usually compensates. And true, their second hand stuff is rarely a bargain but that's equally true of Rails or eBay. And crucially, Hattons deduct 20% VAT on 2/H Oz orders which the latter two don't.   

Edited by dpgibbons

My experience so far with hattons is very mixed

Majority of the time takes two days to pick then two days to deliver some have taken more and some have taken less

But what I cannot get my head around is, so so many retailers be them shops or online offer FREE delivery over a certain amount normally around £100.00 but NOT hattons

Also an example is Track Shack same day dispatch at no extra cost Hattons double your cost and we will dispatch same day this is just Wrong

• RMweb Premium

What I'm picking up here from a range of world-wide posts is that Hattons service is inconsistent.  No-one will manage 100% consistency for all manner of reasons.  But when my picking emails have been 2 - 3 days after the order confirmation while others have had theirs in 24 hours or less that is what I call inconsistent.  Within their control packing is wasteful to the extent that they use what ever boxes are to hand and often include large amounts of catalogue material and air bags.  That might on occasions affect shipping costs based on volumetric size or weight.  

Taking three other retailers - none of which can be directly compared in the sense that they are conventional shops rather than distribution warehouses - Kernow, Gaugemaster and Rails all manage to use better-sized packaging though not (apparently) always recycled from incoming stock.  All have prices within much the same range on most items most of the time.  Kernow charges fixed-fee postage while the other two charge at cost.  I have long suspected Hattons takes a hit on international postage and under-charges.  At least some offer free UK postage for larger orders which Hattons does not.  Overall customer service is outstanding at Kernow MRC, very good at the other two but absent unless contact is made by the customer at Hattons; there is no compliments slip nor receipt in the parcel.  Kernow manage a hand-written note of thanks as well.  For UK customers Kernow operates a loyalty scheme which Hattons doesn't.  For overseas customers who place advance orders Gaugemaster and Rails only charge at time of shipping, Kernow has a slightly fussy pay-back arrangement or the option to pay in full at time of ordering but I continue to have difficulty (as do a few others from posts in this topic) with Hattons web site refusing to accept any orders.  That requires a work-around which is not necessary in other cases nor - it seems - is it needed by the majority of Hattons customers.

I don't suggest there is one single retailer who out-performs Hattons.  There isn't.  But it certainly pays to shop around even at the point of making payment.  Before that final mouse-click or keypad tap how many of us cross-check one or two other places to see whether the overall deal is better?  I do.  And for the record transit times, which are outside the supplier's control, have varied but are typically 2 - 3 weeks by air from Hattons using the standard unsigned service, 1 - 2 weeks from Kernow and Gaugemaster and 1 week from Rails.  Kernow and Rails jointly hold the Blue Riband for parcels arriving on my Australian doorstep on the third day (including weekends) after the order was placed.  

Hattons is not the bad boy nor the star turn.  They are in a tight market place with a number of other very competitive players.  They have chosen to walk away from the hight street shop front into warehouse distribution.  It seems to be a move which hasn't served all of their customers as well as they were accustomed to from Smithdown Road all of the time.

• Like 4

Earlier today I used Hatton's live chat help service and opted to take the 'rate our service' survey where one of the questions asked is along the lines of:

"How else could we of helped?"

It's HAVE ffs; HAVE!

Re: Hattons Packing, I ordered the new Bachman Catalogue from them, It arrived in a large box with lots of air bags and bubble wrap...a real waste. But this seems the norm now days with bigger companies using a few standard size boxes for everything, so much for helping the environment!.

I ordered the Hornby one from a small ebay seller, came in a jiffy bag just the right size...

• RMweb Gold

Standard size boxes and bubbles is much more labour efficient than made to measure or recycled packaging. It is also quicker so gets your models in the post sooner. Cardboard is cheaper than labour. Saving the environment costs money and it would have to be passed on to the customer.

Edited by Colin_McLeod

I think in the last year Hattons have brought into use 1 if not 2 packing machines. the  symptoms of these are fairly standard box sizing, tape once round top and bottom but not across the ends, and the contents often slopping around inside the box because the dunnage does not take up all the spare space.

I guess this must be a move driven by accountants rather than a desire to pack in the best possible way known to man. It will presumably be cheaper rather than using intelligent people to select the correct box for the job, possibly a re-cycled box from an inbound delivery, possibly cutting it down to a lower height, packing the goods carefully with dunnage filling all air spaces, taping across the end joints as well as the middle seam, and general sending it on the way with care and with pride in a job well done. All very nice but it does cost money, I guess you get what you pay for?

You're just starting to come across as though you have some grudge against Hatton's in various postings - get over it please.

• RMweb Gold

You're just starting to come across as though you have some grudge against Hatton's in various postings - get over it please.

He (Shroomy) does have a point regarding the Class 24, maybe he is merely suggesting one should shop around.

Someone did; the one at Hatton's sold.

it sold because when they put it up it was £90 which they reduced to £60 so yes it would sell

I have commented on many subjects on here so no grudge with anybody or are opinions which differ from the norm not allowed

Conform or leave thought this website was better then that

• Like 1

I think in the last year Hattons have brought into use 1 if not 2 packing machines. the  symptoms of these are fairly standard box sizing, tape once round top and bottom but not across the ends, and the contents often slopping around inside the box because the dunnage does not take up all the spare space.

I guess this must be a move driven by accountants rather than a desire to pack in the best possible way known to man. It will presumably be cheaper rather than using intelligent people to select the correct box for the job, possibly a re-cycled box from an inbound delivery, possibly cutting it down to a lower height, packing the goods carefully with dunnage filling all air spaces, taping across the end joints as well as the middle seam, and general sending it on the way with care and with pride in a job well done. All very nice but it does cost money, I guess you get what you pay for?

Rails do all that and are often cheaper than Hattons, with free delivery over £100 too?. I think Hattons packaging machines are more for them to maximise profit rather than passing savings to consumers, and as I said they are not alone in this now days, I just think it is a waste of packaging, when we are all told to reduce waste...

At least they don't waste string any more. That should be good for the environment. :) :)

But at least you could re use the string  :yes:

I don't think there's much use for old parcel tape  :dontknow:

Now the question will be.

What's cheaper ? String or Parcel tape ?

• Like 1

it sold because when they put it up it was £90 which they reduced to £60 so yes it would sell

I have commented on many subjects on here so no grudge with anybody or are opinions which differ from the norm not allowed

Conform or leave thought this website was better then that

Punctuation IS allowed.

I have got a loft full of model railway items and I found Hattons very helpful in taking some Airfix locomotives and Lima coaches. The offer price of £120 was higher than Rails' offer of £89. Hattons provided me with a label to send the items to them by a courier which would have cost me £12 by Royal Mail. The price was much lower than Ramsay's guide but I found it much easier than taking them to an auction or a toy fair, having to pay for commission or a stand and then probably not selling everything.

• Like 2