Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

The  question  is  was  the  old  aged  stock  on  the  website  at  the  time?

I was  not  aware if it  was   but  I would  think  that  everything  that  was  for  sale  would  have  been. ( because occasionally  Hornby Dublo items  mostly  track was listed, I am not referring  to  Pre  used  items  here)

However  followers  of  Hattons  various  ranges  would  have  noted  that  there  are  several  ranges  which    a couple  of  years  ago  had  extensive  stocks  which  have  all but  disappeared,  these  being  0n30,  H0,  USA/ Amercan  N  &  H0  and  to  some  extent  LGB,  Many  items  in  these  ranges  were  subject  to   rather attractive  price  reductions  of  which  I  took  advantage

**  Footnote  out  of  curiosity  I have  just  had  a  look  at  Hornby  Dublo items on  Hattons  site  they  have  quite  a  few  items listed but probably  most  are  pre  owned

HOWEVER  they  do  list  Hornby Dublo  curved power connection  track  section,  steel rail ,  new  boxed,  code 100.  £2.00  the   info  says  that if  you  need  any its    best  to  hurry  as  there  are  only  192  left!!!

Edited by Stevelewis
  • Like 1

Noticed that Hatton's are increasing most of their International shipping charges as of the 1st june. They have been commendably low compared to some other retailers and as they say, it is not possible to keep absorbing these cost increases.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't worry too much about Hattons making a loss last year, they will soon claw it back on some of their "eye watering" pre-owned prices they hope to command, even after enquiring about "make us an offer" on some of their 0 gauge stock, I can buy it brand new from other dealers cheaper ..... I am now starting to believe even a few of these bigger stores have got the "ebay" mindset.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I bought 2 lovely Oxford Rail Carflats, but when I got home and opened them,  

the first one had (loose) the detailing pack of ? wheel chocks ? and brake standards, and unfortunately the second one did not.

I chose to ring Hattons about it (have never done that before) and was answered by Mike (don't know which one). In this morning' post today was an envelope with the missing parts, sent first class. Well done, Sir!

• Like 2

Interesting piece of investigative journalism from the Liverpool Echo, used to be a brilliant newspaper. Some very well researched figures........

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/model-train-companys-x-rated-13228009.amp

Its the silly season, nothing much is happening in the real world.

Allegedly.

(I gave up on the Echo years ago.)

Edited by Hroth

Ah the Echo. Nearly as bad as The S*n for giving Liverpool a bad name. It's only interested in bigging up criminals, Z list "celebrities" and how "Scouse" everything and everyone is (even though nearly all it's staff are Wools and Mancunians). It also has one of the most user unfriendly websites imaginable. No problem with adverts, but if I'm switching off after a couple of seconds then it's not working.

As for Hattons, I went past there the other day and it was still closed up. They were digging up the pavement outside though. Possibly one of the utilities companies.

Jason

• Like 1

Ah the Echo. Nearly as bad as The S*n for giving Liverpool a bad name. It's only interested in bigging up criminals, Z list "celebrities" and how "Scouse" everything and everyone is (even though nearly all it's staff are Wools and Mancunians). It also has one of the most user unfriendly websites imaginable. No problem with adverts, but if I'm switching off after a couple of seconds then it's not working.

As for Hattons, I went past there the other day and it was still closed up. They were digging up the pavement outside though. Possibly one of the utilities companies.

Jason

Jason, that sums up the Echo, only ever look on line and then give up. Z- listers is so true :-)

• RMweb Gold

The Liverpool Echo stopped being a credible paper once the printing was moved out of the city to Oldham. The amount of basic errors of fact printed about local issues and places is just unbelievable and unforgivable.

Edited by kopite

• 2 weeks later...

Received my Dapol class 122 today. Despite only paying £4 for standard postage which is usually 48hr tracked they sent it 24hr tracked which means it arrived today for me to play with over the weekend rather than wait till mon/tues.

thanks Hattons very thoughtful.

Mark

• Like 3

Dear Hattons,

Please can you put a tick box on your pre-owned search pages marked "I bloody hate Buthes and I don't want to see page after page of Buthes when I search for model rail items. No Buthes should be displayed, ever".

Thank you.

Noticed that Hatton's are increasing most of their International shipping charges as of the 1st june. They have been commendably low compared to some other retailers and as they say, it is not possible to keep absorbing these cost increases.

Yep, DHL delivery to Oz is now 23 pounds, used to be 17. 

What is disappointing is that recently - the last 6 months or so, they never seem to be able to get an overseas order away within 24 hours. meaning that even if you order on a Monday via DHL you rarely get it before Monday or Tuesday the following week. This is partly of course because most orders are handed over to Australia Post for final delivery - extra 2 days! I've started having the orders available for pick up at DHL Brisbane Airport, lucky I'm only 40km away.

But please Hattons can you give us value for our 23 pounds by getting the orders away quickly.

Winging over with, back to playing trains..................

I wrote to Hattons complaining about my last few orders being delayed in dispatch and received the following reply. Looks like the UK next day orders are the priority and as I fully agree that DHL are fast and reliable - BUT here in Brisbane 90% of the time they hand the parcel over to Australia Post for final delivery and they are neither fast or reliable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello Stephen,

Thank you for your email,

I apologise this has not left us as of yet. We do try to get our orders out the door as fast as possible and I can see yours has now been picked and should leave us today. The only orders we treat as a priority are UK next days as we can say for certain that we can get orders to our customers on a next day service here in the UK but all other orders are treated the same and fairly which are picked and dispatched in order of being placed. 
The £23.00 price is one DHL has allocated due to the size and weight of the order, also DHL are a very fast and reliable service.

I hope this clarifies matters for you but if you have any further questions then please feel free to contact us.

Kind Regards

Michael Robinson

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't worry too much about Hattons making a loss last year, they will soon claw it back on some of their "eye watering" pre-owned prices they hope to command, even after enquiring about "make us an offer" on some of their 0 gauge stock, I can buy it brand new from other dealers cheaper ..... I am now starting to believe even a few of these bigger stores have got the "ebay" mindset.

"Eye-watering" prices for nearly new items I can cope with but their pre-owned stuff is mostly in truly shocking condition according to their own descriptions.

I'm not sure I can continue using a company that thinks offering this kind of rubbish for sale at these prices is remotely acceptable.

"Eye-watering" prices for nearly new items I can cope with but their pre-owned stuff is mostly in truly shocking condition according to their own descriptions.

I'm not sure I can continue using a company that thinks offering this kind of rubbish for sale at these prices is remotely acceptable.

No-one is forcing you to buy second hand items from them.

The new items are keenly priced, why cut off your own nose?

No-one is forcing you to buy second hand items from them.

The new items are keenly priced, why cut off your own nose?

Fair comment, but if they now find it acceptable to sell complete wrecks at exhorbitant prices what might they try to palm me off with in future as New?

It's about being a reputable dealer, really.

To be clear, I've never had a bad deal from them on new items so far, but this kind of trading in the pre-owned department makes me very uneasy.

Fair comment, but if they now find it acceptable to sell complete wrecks at exhorbitant prices what might they try to palm me off with in future as New?

It's about being a reputable dealer, really.

To be clear, I've never had a bad deal from them on new items so far, but this kind of trading in the pre-owned department makes me very uneasy.

Rails I would argue are no different when it comes to secondhand prices, I don't buy from either unless it is new.

The value you get offered to buy stock is also low in comparison to selling it yourself via Ebay or similar.

I think the costs reflect their business expenses in maintaining the secondhand stock online, premises etc and goes someway to offsetting competitive prices in their new stuff.  If you see something you really want then I suppose the price is worth paying, but if you can get it elsewhere for less then don't hesitate to use the alternative.

I don't think it impacts their reputation, at the end of the day they are a commercial undertaking they aren't ripping off anyone as no-one has to buy these items