Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

I worked behind a Post Office counter 50 years ago and we were provided with sealing wax for registered mail.

That's  when  Post  offices  were  post  offices!!   When  we  moved From  Cheshire  to  Wales in '84  there  were  around  8  or 9 local PO branches  and  1  Main PO in Mold. today the  Mold one   is  still open along  with  horrendous   queues, and  there  are 2 other  branches, both in retail outlets  where  the  staff  seem to prioritise  selling  their  stock rather  than deal  with  the PO side  of  things.  Is  it  any  wonder  that  companies  like  Hermes  & Yodel are doing   so well!?

Apologies  for  the  Hattons  thread   Hi-Jack,  it  all started  with  a  ball of  string!!

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone had trouble trying to order items from Hattons and not being able to access their cart? I have and their answer was to make sure cookies were enabled. I have tried to do this even down to allowing cookies on Hattons website but to no avail. I want to order and pay using paypal but first I have to put something in the cart which I am unable to view.

Any ideas?

Edward [computer dunce]

Has anyone had trouble trying to order items from Hattons and not being able to access their cart? I have and their answer was to make sure cookies were enabled. I have tried to do this even down to allowing cookies on Hattons website but to no avail. I want to order and pay using paypal but first I have to put something in the cart which I am unable to view.

Any ideas?

Edward [computer dunce]

I have just tried it and it is working ok for me.

• RMweb Premium

Any ideas?

Edward [computer dunce]

Yes!!!

Are you using Safari?  I use Safari and have for some time been unable to add items to the cart.  Hattons is aware of the problem and has been in discussion with me over some time though that seems to have dried up of late.  They cannot reproduce the problem.  Cookies have been enabled, removed and re-enabled.  Everything is as it should be.

My workaround is to add items to a Wishlist instead which seems to work.  Going to My Wishlist will then allow me to add to cart from there.  However it only works for in stock items.  For others you can always use the live chat facility, email them or potentially use another browser if available.  They advise Chrome.

• Like 1

Yes!!!

Are you using Safari?  I use Safari and have for some time been unable to add items to the cart.  Hattons is aware of the problem and has been in discussion with me over some time though that seems to have dried up of late.  They cannot reproduce the problem.  Cookies have been enabled, removed and re-enabled.  Everything is as it should be.

My workaround is to add items to a Wishlist instead which seems to work.  Going to My Wishlist will then allow me to add to cart from there.  However it only works for in stock items.  For others you can always use the live chat facility, email them or potentially use another browser if available.  They advise Chrome.

Thanks for that, I will try using the wishlist route, it's been very frustrating as I can't use my Paypal account over the phone.

• Like 1

The old fashioned way is to ring them up and place the order over the phone. (Or write enclosing a cheque if you prefer)

Indeed, for some that works well, for others (mid-west USA as an example), timing and cost are still factors, especially when ecommerce is in 90+% of my life the easiest, fastest and usually most cost effective method of transacting purchases.

Whilst some folks hate ecommerce, I've managed to find it an incredible asset for much of what I want/do in several hobbies.

Always consider that what works for some folks isn't necessarily as available to others. 

• Like 2

Thanks for that, I will try using the wishlist route, it's been very frustrating as I can't use my Paypal account over the phone.

Hi Gwiwer, I have tried using the wishlist and it was successful, thanks for the info! I have informed Hattons of what I had to do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Apologies to appear 'out of area' however we're having a 70th Anniversary event this weekend with benefits for offline and online customers

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/116619-hattons-70th-anniversary-open-days-friday-11th-and-saturday-12th-november/&do=findComment&comment=2491615

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 2

As "normal" service seldom goes reported, please to report that I placed an order for a random bunch of stuff less than 24 hours ago and just received an email that it has been picked and packed into a parcel addressed to my good self here in parts foreign.

Still some issues with the website (ended up going via the wishlist route) though.

• Like 2

Placed my order with Hattons, I believe, on Thursday. Tracking number tells me its been delivered at home. That was on the standard 2nd class delivery. Sometimes putting it on the standard £4 rate they'll put it in 1st class post anyway. I've always had good experience with Hattons and if I'm in the northw-west I'll be sure to drop in for a look around.

• Like 2

Well I believe the best way to judge a supplier/trader is how they are when something goes wrong!

I ordered a reasonable sized order off them a week last Thursday. I opted for the DPD option for postage.

I still hadn't received any notification of picking/packing or dispatch by the following Tuesday, so I phoned them to see if there was a problem. 

The lady who answered my call apologised, and said the order had slipped through the net and was just sitting on the system. She set about rectifying the issue and promised me that I would receive it the following day, which I duly did.

No fuss, just a positive approach to rectifying a problem and an apology because we are all human after all.

Top marks from me ;)

Jinty ;)

• Like 5

Just  as  a  matter  of  interest........I am  a long term  Hattons  customer  I order  nearly  every week  sometimes  twice!

I am pleased  to see that  the recent  hiccough in  the  delivery  system  has now disappeared  and  that  deliveries  have resumed  being  'on time'

Anyway  on Friday last  I received an order placed previous  day, nothing  extraordinary the main items being  a  couple of  Bargain  motive  power units  , I did order  a  2nd  hand  item  just 1 Peco point,  listed  as  like  new, however when it  arrived  it  was  not  as  like  new  as I expected,  it was quite heavily coated in 'track gunge'  and  some  of  the sleeper ends  had been trimmed.  I phoned  Hattons  and  was  treated in  their   usual polite  and  courteous  manner, I explained  the problem  and  was offered a refund if  I wished to return it, however this  seemed  a  bit unessessary  for   a single inexpensive  item, so I agreed to keep it, and suggested a small refund to cover  the inconvenience of cleaning it up.

I was asked if they could phone  me  back, which occurred  20 mins later  advising  me  that they  had  refunded  the  total  initial cost of the point 

That's  what  I consider to be  excellent  customer  service  and  appreciation

• Like 2

On the other side of the coin, I'm still waiting for an Airfix kit originally due 1st week October and chased 2 weeks later to be told some more would be coming in soon. This is a personal experience blip, normally I've had excellent service.