Roco Z21

Hello my Galaxy Tablet appears to have died,, I have seen some reasonable priced I Pad2 on sale , anybody using this Tablet, is it a decent replacement, seen some negative things, but this regards price about twice the price I have seen and obviously not as good as Air, but I want one for controlling my Z21, I do have Android smartphone  but fancy a change in controller.

Hello my Galaxy Tablet appears to have died,, I have seen some reasonable priced I Pad2 on sale , anybody using this Tablet, is it a decent replacement, seen some negative things, but this regards price about twice the price I have seen and obviously not as good as Air, but I want one for controlling my Z21, I do have Android smartphone  but fancy a change in controller.

I bought one for the app and haven't had any problems with it at all.

Thanks bgman and PaulRhb for your prompt replies and positive views on the I Pad2, I must admit the I pad app , does not seem to have had as many problems as I have had with the Android app, I have just purchased one at  what I think is a good price. Thanks again

Got to concur with others that the iPad 2 works well with it.  I have a cheap Bush 8 inch tablet running Andriod but at first was using my iPad 2.  I find the iPad app is much slicker particularly with the point control screens and the Android app is slower to respond generally.  I'm thinking of going back to using my iPad and selling on the Bush tablet.

Alan 

Just to reinforce what others have said. I use an IPad and the app is much nicer that that for the iphone. It sometimes gets confused if you have to hit the emergency stop but other than that it works fine.

Regards,

John P

I too, get sluggish, or sometimes no response  from my Samsung Android tablet and I have to keeping hitting the screen command to get it to do anything.  Eventually it gets there. Other times it seems to works fine - for a while.   Particularly when trying to operate points, it can be really tiresome.  It really takes the shine off the z21 when you can't rely on the controls.   But I don't have an Apple phone or tablet to compare it with.

Is this a ROCO Android app design problem  (in which case presumably it should be fixable by ROCO) ,  or is it something inherent in the Android operating system, in which case maybe ROCO should maybe be advising people that using the Android app may result in unreliable operation of the z21?

Does anyone in RMweb world use a z21 with  Android tablet with a reasonable extensive set up of points and locos (e.g greater than say 30 points and 12 locos)  that is operating 100% reliably and consistently?   I'm now wondering  that maybe the problem gets worse with the complexity of the layout  - just a thought

JayDee

• RMweb Gold

I've used the system on Android with 4 or 11 points and multiple routes depending on the layout and there's no appreciable difference in performance. It has to wait for the previous route to complete one at a time before it will accept another command while the ipad version seems to send it all in one go.

It's a matter of cost, I can get an Android tablet for £110, half the price of the cheapest wifi ipad, so I can live with it being a tad slower for that saving. I also have the diagram on the iphones as a backup but it's really a bit too small with big fingers for regular use.

When the Android version starts to play up it works perfectly on the iphone so it appears to be the Android app, whether that's down to the app or Android I don't know.

Edited by PaulRhB

I have a quite lot of turnouts so they are on several screens.  In the Android app when I swipe between screens it takes a couple of seconds or so to display each screen - there's a small 'progress' bar comes on the top of the screen.  So if I want to get to the turnouts on say screen 5, it can take a fair while to get there.  Very frustrating.  Also I've noticed slow reaction to the throttle sometimes, so if I want decelerate a train quickly it doesn't always respond for a couple of seconds.  A few times I've had to hit the Stop button.

So, I've gone back to using my iPad although I think it's a bit bulky and with the 10" screen, a bit big for this.  I'm currently looking at the iPad mini at around £150 just for use 'down the shed'.  Argos outlet on their ebay site sells them reburbished for around £120.  I've bought a lot of stuff from this outlet and sometimes you get a brand new item - probably a customer return - but they still have a year's warranty from Argos.

Cheers ... Alan

So, I've gone back to using my iPad although I think it's a bit bulky and with the 10" screen, a bit big for this.  I'm currently looking at the iPad mini at around £150 just for use 'down the shed'.  Argos outlet on their ebay site sells them reburbished for around £120.  I've bought a lot of stuff from this outlet and sometimes you get a brand new item - probably a customer return - but they still have a year's warranty from Argos.

Cheers ... Alan

In a moment of madness I bought a refurb 10" iPad for exactly the same reason and don't regret it. The big screen really helps and works faultlessly ( sorry if anyone is an Andriod fan). Well worth the expense IMHO if you want better control without the lag.

• Like 1

In a moment of madness I bought a refurb 10" iPad for exactly the same reason and don't regret it. The big screen really helps and works faultlessly ( sorry if anyone is an Andriod fan). Well worth the expense IMHO if you want better control without the lag.

I wonder if it was the same seller as I bought one from. the iPad is a lot easier to use than my Galaxyone, now I have got used to it, the Galaxy strangely has revived itself, [ maybe its had a ' fitty strop.'  anyhow  too late ,it will do as a back up.Hopefully I will not have the annoying Z21 has stopped working from now on

I too, get sluggish, or sometimes no response  from my Samsung Android tablet and I have to keeping hitting the screen command to get it to do anything.  Eventually it gets there. Other times it seems to works fine - for a while.   Particularly when trying to operate points, it can be really tiresome.  It really takes the shine off the z21 when you can't rely on the controls.   But I don't have an Apple phone or tablet to compare it with.

Is this a ROCO Android app design problem  (in which case presumably it should be fixable by ROCO) ,  or is it something inherent in the Android operating system, in which case maybe ROCO should maybe be advising people that using the Android app may result in unreliable operation of the z21?

Does anyone in RMweb world use a z21 with  Android tablet with a reasonable extensive set up of points and locos (e.g greater than say 30 points and 12 locos)  that is operating 100% reliably and consistently?   I'm now wondering  that maybe the problem gets worse with the complexity of the layout  - just a thought

JayDee

When I complained to Roco about the Z21 app not working, this has happened on many occasions and the last about 10 times in 3 minutes[i get a Z21 stopped working, please send information] Roco have intimated that they cannot find any reason for it stopping[when it stops it wipes out all the photos of the locos] and their team have suggested too many locos on a list, I have about 50 ho locos not all on the same list ,but maybe 18per railroad, anyway like others I purchased a refurbished iPad which seems to be new,so hopefully I will not have the problem, but I will keep the lists  between 12 to 15.

It's not just with the z21 that the use of an Android app for the control of electronic equipment can be problematic.

For example, in the audio and HiFi field, where a couple of manufacturers has stopped supporting, or have withdrawn their Android apps for controlling high-end streamers.

One of many reasons cited, is the difficulty of having to write the software to work on hundreds of different platforms, using various forms of Android, sometimes tweaked or even forked by the tablet/phone manufacturer.

That's not to mention the very high proportion of Android devices that are running on the various older versions of the OS.

It may be that Roco are having to peddle very hard to keep up with support for their Android app and may not be able to implement the latest fixes or ways of doing things, as they won't be compatible with older versions of the OS, or with Android devices from specific manufacturers, who use a modified or customised version of the OS.

Strange, I haven't experienced any of the issues on my several Android devices.

Sony (phone and tablet), Asus (tablet), Samsung (phone) and Nexus (tablet).

They use Kitkat and Lollipop.

There was an issue with the feedback sensors, but that was solved with one of the updates.

We use it at modular meets with many users, all with no big probs.

I only have 12 locos in it and only use 2 screens for switches though....

Edited by M Graff

• RMweb Gold

The slower sequential activation of accessories is constant on my Samsungs but the random not triggering everything seems only to happen after a few hours and then only intermittently. It's not a problem as such as once it starts you just check the routes ;)

Hi, I,ve now got an Ipad mini 2, and the difference to the android phone was very obvious once I had spent 3 hours getting through the apple security! the Z21 app is much simpler to use and has a better on screen format. I have been able to get my three aspect signal to work and all other points worked once set up. I have one problem in that following a short, my fault for wrong setup, point 13! has stopped working, will have to investigate the wiring it may be the wrong way round, had this problem with another point with the android system.

Overall I am pleased with my investment in the Ipad the trains now run the right way and I can easily program any loco with ease.

regards

mike g

• Like 2

Found the problem with my point, the feed wire had come out of the screw connecter by not far enough to see it was out but no power to motor reconnected and all working well. Also all my loco go the way they should, but still not right on the android! so will not be using it. I think that it should be made clear on the Roco site that the system is designed for Apple system, and Andriod is the second choice.

regards

mike g

I agree when I have sent Roco an e-mail with an ongoing problem they have always answered either with an answer or suggestion if their tech team cannot answer it definitely[ as in the  Android z21 stopped working problem], plus I always have sent the asked for message to google[if that is where it goes],

• 2 weeks later...

Quick query if anyone can confirm that you can't import/export Z21 App files between iOS and Android?  I get a 'Z21 Stopped Working' error when trying to open an imported file on my Android.  I guess they're just not compatible which, if so, is a complete *****ache!

Cheers

Alan