Roco Z21

• RMweb Gold

Yes you can by email on the latest versions so you might need to update first. Just select export and choose the email option then open the email on the other device and it will install :)

On the Android I think it says save them open using import but I find just opening the attachment opens it in Z21 and asks you to name it. I've transferred files to both Samsung tablets from the iPhone's.

• RMweb Gold

Oh and if it appears to download then stops just tap the button for showing open apps, next to the home button, swipe the Z21 to close it and restart it and I found its there in the list.

Yes you can by email on the latest versions so you might need to update first. Just select export and choose the email option then open the email on the other device and it will install :)

On the Android I think it says save them open using import but I find just opening the attachment opens it in Z21 and asks you to name it. I've transferred files to both Samsung tablets from the iPhone's.

Hi,

Thanks indeed, yes all apps are up to date and that's exactly the method I've tried several times today - but for me it doesn't like it and I get the error report .. hmmm.  interesting. More time to be wasted on this I guess ..

Alan 

• RMweb Gold

Ok this worked,

Open email in Android, click on the triangular 'recycle' type symbol and it will' save to drive'

Open Z21 - import - from SD card - select file - name it.

Return to main screen and select 'choose railroad layout' and it should be there.

Roco has outsourced the tech support for the Z21 to ESU, who makes the things.

And yet when it come to cooperation between the two companies to adapt the Z21 app to work with the Mobile Control II, both say it's up to the other to do something!

And yet when it come to cooperation between the two companies to adapt the Z21 app to work with the Mobile Control II, both say it's up to the other to do something!

The Z21 is not made by ESU but by Haber & Koenig Elektronik, who are located down the road from Roco headquarters in Bergheim, Land Salzburg.

Does anyone run a larger layout with the Z21?  I am wondering how the control is with operating points etc with having to swipe between multiples pages?

Well, it's a bit awkward really. Mine runs to 9 x half screens so it can be slow getting to the screen you want. You can of course display two x half screens at the same time or you can get more turnouts on a screen by making them smaller but there comes a point when your fingers are too big for accuracy. Setting up 'routes' alleviates some of the necessity to find different screens.

On my Android tablet, when sliding between each screen, I get a timer bar showing at the top so it's even slower on that. It's one reason I use my My iPad which is much quicker.

Having said all of that, I run my layout with Train Controller so I rarely use the Z21 app except if I walk about the room and it's handy to do an emergency stop, or drive the occasional train.

Alan

• RMweb Gold

I'm building a larger layout at present and I'm planning to use the cheaper tablets as control panels at each station so you'll only usually use one screen although they'll all have all three screens available if one fails.

The routes simplify operation to an extent but they do fill the screen quickly so I'm buying larger tablets with 10inch screens now.

Well, it's a bit awkward really. Mine runs to 9 x half screens so it can be slow getting to the screen you want. You can of course display two x half screens at the same time or you can get more turnouts on a screen by making them smaller but there comes a point when your fingers are too big for accuracy. Setting up 'routes' alleviates some of the necessity to find different screens.

On my Android tablet, when sliding between each screen, I get a timer bar showing at the top so it's even slower on that. It's one reason I use my My iPad which is much quicker.

Having said all of that, I run my layout with Train Controller so I rarely use the Z21 app except if I walk about the room and it's handy to do an emergency stop, or drive the occasional train.

Alan

Thanks Alan,  That was my worry really.  I am torn between this or the ECoS but I will also be using train controller,  However I will want to take control of the trains on a fair number of occasions

I'm building a larger layout at present and I'm planning to use the cheaper tablets as control panels at each station so you'll only usually use one screen although they'll all have all three screens available if one fails.

The routes simplify operation to an extent but they do fill the screen quickly so I'm buying larger tablets with 10inch screens now.

That's a good idea,  Could easily get quite expensive though!

I looked at the ECoS and Z21 but opted for the Z21. I'm glad I did as I just love the ease of use, intuitive operation and the way it all connects up wirelessly so you can walk around anywhere with tablets or smart phones. Also the laptop running Train Controller is wireless so that can be moved anywhere within the train room. Everything is smooth, seemless and wireless - state of the art modern technology. For me the Z21 is great.

Alan

• RMweb Gold

That's a good idea, Could easily get quite expensive though!

That's why I settled on cheap android tablets, though I'm about pick up a iPad from a friend at a similar price.

My logic was the ESU and other wireless throttles plus the iPad are around £220-250 so I can have nearly two for the price of one with ones like the Tab-E. I know there are other cheap throttles but not with this intuitive interface.

I'm also using secondhand iPhones as throttles though cheap pay as you go android would work too.

Edited by PaulRhB

I would like to know the specs on the Android tablets that you are using.

If you have problems with the app, I guess that the hardware isn't up to the task...

I did try it on a cheap tablet, and it was a very big difference from the real ones I use daily.

I would agree regarding the pojnts.

I have 36 on around 6 screens.

But I think it is easier to see which point I'm operating on the Z21 than having to remember which on to operate on a hand held 'throttle style' controller.

Regards,

John P

I would like to know the specs on the Android tablets that you are using.

If you have problems with the app, I guess that the hardware isn't up to the task...

I did try it on a cheap tablet, and it was a very big difference from the real ones I use daily.

Mine is a cheap Bush tablet running Android - I've already sacked it and replaced it with an iPad mini.  I have a 10" iPad (version 2) but find it a bit too big and heavy.  The improvement in performance over the Bush (Android) is significant.

Alan

Well, comparing supermarket quality tablets with iPads are not an equal match.

You need a quadcore processor and at least Android kitkat or lollipop.

At least 2 Gb RAM as well.

Then you will not experience the lag and unstable performance stated in this thread.

Anyone tried it on a iphone 2? I guess it would be quite a drag....

• Like 1

I'm using Galaxy Tabs and a Tab E from Samsung, they work ok apart from a little slower than the ipad.

Out of interest, if you change points or switch an accessory etc on one tablet, does it quickly update all other tablets to shown it switched?

• RMweb Gold

Out of interest, if you change points or switch an accessory etc on one tablet, does it quickly update all other tablets to shown it switched?

I've never had two on the screen at once to see what the lag is, if any, but they do reflect the actual position when you scroll to the screen. The layout's up so I might try tomorrow if I get time and report back if no one else does first ;)

Edited by PaulRhB

Thanks very much :)  I might just look into getting this system,  Once iv'e planned out how im going to do my bus's and which components to use

I hope you like it. 'Scograil' have them at £250 - sometimes £240 if the exchange rate is favourable. Their site here http://www.scograil.co.uk. ... I've had good service from them - no connection, just a satisfied customer.

• 2 weeks later...

On Sunday I decided to try connecting the supplied TP-Link router from the WAN socket to my home internet router. As expected, I was able to get emails and surf the web. I then turned everything off and removed the link from the WAN socket. On Monday when I turned on my iPhone and iPad, although the wi-fi connected to the Z21 router, the Z21 app showed a red cross on the wi-fi icon and I was unable to effect control. I confirmed that there was no problem with the iPhone and iPad as they still operated my Roco Smartrail without problems.

Yesterday I phoned Scograil, who had supplied the Z21 and they (with their neighbour Coastal DCC) couldn't have been more helpful. They established that the IP address of the router had become corrupted and talked me through re-setting it and re-installing the Z21 network name. (Re-setting the router had changed the name to "TP-Link"). Absolutely brilliant service from Scograil and the best price I could find in Europe.

Scograil did replicate my own set-up and linking the Z21 router by cable to their own internet provider's router caused them no problems. I suspect, although neither Scograil nor Coastal DCC confirmed this, that my problem was caused by connecting my Z21 router to my Sky hub by Powerline mains adapters, rather than cable.

Incidentally, when I feel the need to control my trains with an old-fashioned steel handled lever rather than a phone or tablet, my ZTC 611 works seamlessly through the Z21 sniffer.

Edited by Riddles