Roco Z21

Reset required on the Z21 router or home base ?

Reset of the Z21 router.

If you can't get your pad to connect to the Z21, check the WiFi indicator in the Roco application. The Z21 relies on the static IP address.

I have found that plugging the z21 router into my main system corrupts the DHCP within it, it has the same range as my main router. I had to do a factory reset to correct the DHCP range.

Technically it doesn't corrupt it. The Roco supplied router is smart enough to see that its pre-programmed address range is already in use so it creates a new set of addresses to use. Unless you are network savvy it's best not to connect the Roco supplied router to your home network.

Regards.

John P

Unless you are network savvy it's best not to connect the Roco supplied router to your home network.

I totally agree. The User Manual needs to be updated in this respect. However, I have heard of one user who did connect his together and they worked without a problem! It needed the excellent service of Coastal DCC to talk me through sorting mine out, after I connected my two routers.

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning z21 group...probably you already know about this but just for your information I copy the email sent yesterday

I have purchased Fleischmann start set 631681 that is working perfectly.
After some days I have connected the Z21 starter to my wireless router TP Link TL-WR740N that should be the same model recommended by Roco/Fleischmann but with my surprise everything was connected in the right way but not working.
As I was not able to understand what was wrong this morning I have called your kind support that told me I have to by the wireless set 10814 and then I will get an unlock code to enable the LAN port of z21 start.
In my opinion this is not fair from your company; in fact z21 locked is not CLEARLY specified when you look at web page of 631681. Morover in the z21 website you do not specify this.
I don't want to buy a wireless set only to receive a code to unlock the z21 lan port.
Maybe I could take into consideration the possibility of buying only the code as today in most of homes there is a wireless network.
I still consider Fleischmann/Roco a good company but what is happening with this z21 starter is quite ridicoulus. I also think I am not the only one complaining about this situation.

maybe someone else had same issue

Depends where you purchased item from, on some German Shop websites it does state you need to purchase the extra wireless system. for the z21 system, [priced at 36 euros at one shop,] to be operable,seems strange Fleischmann sell the starter set incomplete.

Edited by brittannia

yes it's stange...but for some economic logic they did

Why would you supply a wireless router  when you don't need it .

My understanding is you shouldn't require a router when operating with a multmaus as it is  "plug 'n play".

Why would you supply a wireless router  when you don't need it .

My understanding is you shouldn't require a router when operating with a multmaus as it is  "plug 'n play".

ok but if you want to use ipad or other mobile controller...

Edited by navi2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

I dont know if this is the correct place to put this or should I start a new thread but here goes.
I have just purchased A Multi panel starter kit, relay board and DCC board from Megapoints.com.If I use my Digitrax Zephyr command station the system works fine.
I do however have a problem with the DCC board not working with my Z21 (Black) command station. But if I connect the set-up to my Z21 both lights on the DCC board Flash.
if I lower the voltage on the Z21 then the lights do not come on at all . I have tried 13v,14v,15v,16v,17v.
The lights do not light on all these but if I go to 18v then both come on and flash continuously.
Anybody any ideas.
Is there anyway around this problem as I would like to use both the Ipad connection and the Megapoints panel to change points and signals.

Thanks

Bob

Edited by redpiperbob

• RMweb Gold

Is the flashing the issue or just not responding to accessory addresses?

Certain accessory decoders need 4 adding to the address value to work with Z21. I have this with cobalts so I program the motor as '12' but the Z21 command needs to be set at 16 etc ;)

Edited by PaulRhB

Hi Paul

The DCC board is acting as a gateway to the sysem. I E if i send a packet to the DCC board then the board will activate the sevo on the multipanel board. This works fine if I connect to the Digitrax system I have. But does nothing on the Z21

Bob

PS if you go into  the Z21 setup you can get rid of the +4 setting

Bob

Edited by redpiperbob

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul

The DCC board is acting as a gateway to the sysem. I E if i send a packet to the DCC board then the board will activate the sevo on the multipanel board. This works fine if I connect to the Digitrax system I have. But does nothing on the Z21

Bob

PS if you go into  the Z21 setup you can get rid of the +4 setting

Bob

Yep wasn't sure how much you knew about it with only just converting to the Z21 ;) Sounds like your issue is above me though at present but interested to see where this goes.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at this https://www.roco.cc/en/product/230044-0-0-0-0-0-0-001001/products.html only because the loco, in this livery is not listed separatley. Having read through this entire thread it would seem the z21 is very good value for money. I currently run a MERG system with 2 handsets and an Ipod touch, all my US ho loco's run Lenz or Zimo decoders. I'm relient on a good friend (MERG founder member) for tech support . The new SNCF layout will be small, but the intention is to push some of my modelling boundaries, including the techy stuff. Z21(or z21) seem to be very popular in France as many clubs seem to run the system, since a BB63000(different livery) is currently around the £90 mark plus Lenz decoder at £25 the whole package seems incredible value, particulary if I sell on the 2 bogie wagons!

• 2 weeks later...

You may have to reprogram the points decoders, assuming they have the functionality, and increase the pulse they give on each output so the solenoids will react properly. I know there are decoders who have this option, I've bought some Lenz LS110 unit ages ago (well, 15 16 years actually) and those had options to set each port with a preconfigured pulse length or even continues output (for point motors like the Tortoise).

From what you write I get the impression you don't fully grasp the basics of how this modern technology works, i.e. what's going on under the hood and behind the scenes. That's not wrong, you're one of many. But splashing out on a 2nd Z21 system when the first doesn't behave as expected w/o asking advise first (either here or from your dealer) does make me wonder how well versed you are in this modern technology :yes:

Just for interest, DCKits have some at a nice price.  Charlie

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

hi

does anyone know how I download the download program I have got on my tablet onto a normal laptop computer

thanks

Do you mean the app? If so I don't think they've written one for pc's unless there's an emulator that will run android apps on a laptop?

Do you mean the app? If so I don't think they've written one for pc's unless there's an emulator that will run android apps on a laptop?

Hi

All the publicity for the Z21 shows that you can control trains/layout via a PC that is connected via a cable to the system rather than via a wireless system so how do you get this PC to run the software ??? 

Hi

All the publicity for the Z21 shows that you can control trains/layout via a PC that is connected via a cable to the system rather than via a wireless system so how do you get this PC to run the software ??? 

There is no specific Z21 control software for PC's/Mac, but a computer can be connected to update the Z21's firmware and to run train automation software.

The compatible software packages mentioned on the Z21 web site are...

• TrainController (Windows)
  • iTrain (Windows, MacOS, Linux)
  • Rocrail (Windows, MacOS, Linux)
  • ModellStw (Windows)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there - can anyone help with what 'should' be simple but apparently not for a beginner....

I'm trying  to set up a UHLENBROCK 83320 occupancy detector with my Z21.  I have isolated only one of the rails in a section and connected that to track 1, as shown in their 'manual'. Then I connected the track power from the 83320 back to the same side track connection in the Z21. The other rail is just connected to the powerbus.  I set up using the add occupancy sequence etc and set the detector number . I then added a turnout and set it to the same number.  Back into control and I pressed the programming button on the 83320 which flashes, then pressed the turnout and the light goes off as it should.  However I just can't get the detection to work when the train goes into the section. I don't know if there's a polarity requirement or if both sides of the track have to be isolated or if I've set up the switch correctly.  In fact I've no idea what to do next so any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks Dutch_Master correct on the model typo!

I've just set up a single track with one isolated section to try to get this to work.

LNCV is set to 0.

As it's a single short section altogether, I'm just powering from the Z21. That should be enough?

I have only plastic rail joiners in the detection section on the same side as the feedback to the 63320.  (The feedback to the Z21 is as per the diagram - back to the 'red' terminal.  When you say swap do you mean I should have the feedback and connection and the isolated part all changed over or just one part of the wiring? 

Any idea how do I reset the 63320 back to factory setting?

thanks for you help