Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

We buy these from Rymans in Castleford and until recently they were kept behind the counter, presumably for this reason.

From my memories of Castleford, when I was working, you could buy the bags filled with white powder quite easily in the same area. Mind you most of the powder was sugar but I don't think that the customers would be contacting trading standards.

If you look around you can get those little bags with white panels on so that you can label the contents. I used them on a loco kit to sort out all the unlabelled small brass castings.

Jamie

• Like 1

When I was 14 onwards for a number of years I used complete locos from south eastern fine cast and DJH within 3 days, these days locos have literally been on the go for years and still not completed except for a couple of my own.

I suppose time factor is one of those things (hence why I'm taking a break from RT Models atm) but also some of the kits I'm building are more complicated or have serious errors so have to modify the parts.

I did make a start on my first Judith edge kit of the consett A class 0-6-0PT, a doddle to put together but because of problems on the railways, I was called upon for my services so this has been put aside.

The last few days I've been designing a industrial wagon kit with its very unusual and being fully etched as once again, I've not had the time to do it so thought I will crack on with this first as well as other kits and parts.

Three days, Robert,

To complete a loco, at aged 14 onward. I thought I could build quickly! And, certainly not at that tender age. At 14, all I could claim was to have motorised a few Kitmaster locos - by cutting lumps out of the underneaths of them (and bleeding profusely!), then sticking them on top of various Tri-ang chassis. It was near a decade more before I could state that I'd be building loco kits 'successfully'. 

The fastest I've ever built a loco was in a day (a full day). A friend had built a Craftsman MR 0-4-4T and asked me to have a look at it because it wouldn't 'go'. Having no idea as to what he meant by 'not going', I just lifted it out of its box and placed it on to my 'workbench'. Now, here was the problem. For some of my constructions at the time I was using an old school desk. It was typically 'Victorian', made of stout wood, with a hole for an inkwell and a groove for a quill. The top surface had a slight slope, to aid writing. Hundreds of these old things were being chucked out (and burnt!) from part of the old school premises where I was teaching at the time (the Municipal Grammar, in Wolverhampton). I asked if I could have one and was told 'Take the f***ing lot, for all I care!' by the chap charged with their disposal. So, I took one, and it was quite handy in a corner of my 'workshop'.

Big mistake! I placed my friend's loco on top of it, and it rolled straight off the edge, to fly to bits on landing on the floor! The reason it didn't 'go' was because the chump had not tightened the grubscrew attaching the gearwheel to the axle! Because it was only glued together (despite its being mainly etched-brass), its disintegration was just about absolute. It was also bent, busted, broken beyond belief and b*ggered! What could I do? A drive at speed to Modellers Mecca, acquire a new kit for the same, plus wheels, axles and a new motor - and then build the bl**dy thing. All in a day! 

I handed over the completed model the next day (I painted it later). I also handed over his wreck. 'Wonderful', said he 'It's much better than mine. Thank you ever so much'. I suppose every silver lining has a cloud. 

As for some kits being complicated; I really don't mind that, as long as the bits fit and they're accurate. Fighting with inaccurate and ill-fitting bits takes a lot more time and the results aren't always that good. Fortunately (or at least in my current experience), poor kits aren't so common nowadays - unless one acquires some older ones SH.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 6

To be honest I don't think many of them want to get done for shoplifting them. Most of them try to keep a low profile nowadays. They know as long as they aren't doing it on an industrial scale the police are going to leave them alone.

Jason

I do have the occasional qualm about my hobby getting me into trouble with the law.  My Hollar Models posters are packed in just the same self-seal bags that you often hear about in TV dramas and in court and I keep a stock of up to a thousand, I have a huge jar of white powder (talc) on my workbench, along with several bottles of different acids (the stainless steel flux in particular being quite lethal).  Then there is (are?) the electronic scales also beloved by police giving evidence.  And all the knives of course, including the amazingly lethal roll of tools I took in the car to Pendon for their scenery* and buildings courses. And some old paints, and aerosols that can't be sold any more and may be illegal to possess, but I've never got round to taking to the council dump.

Context is all, of course, and you might be surprised how many enterprising lads in the chemicals business come to police attention because they let their car insurance lapse, jump red lights or use speed bumps as launch ramps.  It's not like dealing with Moriarty, on the whole.

Tone

*  In passing, Gordon Gravett's scenery course at Pendon was the best training course of any kind I have ever attended. Instructive, inspiring and huge fun I went straight home and built a perfectly respectable diorama to use as a photographic backdrop for new models.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I'm informed that Kinder Egg containers are held in high esteem by our criminal brethren. I was a bit disappointed to get one for Christmas and find it contained only an attractive plastic ornament, rather than crack cocaine with a street value in excess of many DJH kits.

Al

I'm informed that Kinder Egg containers are held in high esteem by our criminal brethren.

And are banned across the pond as our American cousins believe them to be dangerous to children. Automatic weapons on the other hand...

And are banned across the pond as our American cousins believe them to be dangerous to children. Automatic weapons on the other hand...

Yes, some interesting contradictions across the pond. I watched the Presidential address from last night this morning; quite happy to shut down the government (with all the associated issues that causes) for $5 billion to fund a wall (of, at best, dubious benefit) to prevent crimes but unwilling to address the gun laws despite the large number of people murdered by American citizens, both in mass shootings and individually, as it might upset some of the political funders.

Sorry, probably opening a can of worms here... I'll get my coat.

• Like 1

I'm informed that Kinder Egg containers are held in high esteem by our criminal brethren. I was a bit disappointed to get one for Christmas and find it contained only an attractive plastic ornament, rather than crack cocaine with a street value in excess of many DJH kits.

Al

You should see their value in the US of A !  $1000/each, apparently...

(Kinder Eggs are banned in the US for strange reasons, which don't make any sense...but hey, that's fine...)

They are NOT banned in Canada.  I can remember opening a case of them in either 1982 or 83.  Shockingly, we (there was more than just I involved in this...)  weren't all sick to our stomach from the chocolate.  

James

• Like 1

Doesn't every country have laws that contain apparent double standards and enigmas?

I think it is mostly a good thing that each nation is free to decide what it will and will not permit, regardless of purported scientific evidence and scientific opinion (whether real or merely currently fashionable), and regardless of the worldwide average current ideas of what's right and what's wrong. It's called independence, and is something we should be demanding outright for out own country, as it is an essential part of freedom. It also stops the world from being a mundane, uniform, characterless, boring, standardized place, though it no doubt annoys the profiteering heads of large international corporations and their puppet politicians as the requirement to cater for varying rules and tastes in different markets prevents maximisation of wealth for those who are already obscenely wealthy.

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 1

From my memories of Castleford, when I was working, you could buy the bags filled with white powder quite easily in the same area. Mind you most of the powder was sugar but I don't think that the customers would be contacting trading standards.

If you look around you can get those little bags with white panels on so that you can label the contents. I used them on a loco kit to sort out all the unlabelled small brass castings.

Jamie

i simply mark the part number, on all but the tiniest, on the etched component, using a fine point marker pen. I use a compartmentalised tray and store the components in groups. Boiler, footplate etc.
  • Like 2

I know there may be sensitivities here, but the four "OO"  figures offered as free gift on the latest BRM portray very large men indeed. One scales as a very burly 6 foot 9.  I will look gift horses more carefully in the mouth in future.

Tone

• RMweb Gold

Hello Tony,

I think it's fair to say the days of poor designed kits is almost a thing of the past and really no excuse for it with CAD where you can change easily a fault unlike early hand drawings.

Certainly for me it's a satisfaction to be told my kits went together so well, there's even a running account on one of my sentinels in the industrial standard gauge railways section of RMweb at the minute.

Let's hope my latest wagon kit matches my past reputation as it's been a while since I designed one, it is complicated but in theory everything should simply fall into place thanks to tab and slots and half etched slots.

Expected build time, quite a lot I'd imagine!

I was lucky to be a member of the Wimbledon railway club so had lots of encouragement, the kit was built fully at home before it was taken to the club to run. My kit designing came about at around aged 16.

Edited by RThompson
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I think it was a grammatical correction rather than a request for a translation.

. My point is: There is a perfectly good English alternative that says exactly the same thing. Plain English is now widely recognised as being the preferred practice when publishing.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Clive, we surely encounter much pedantry about driving trains as well... but let’s not go there this morning!

Phil.

Hi Phil

My post was serious post, this is a model railway forum.

Two longish DMUs passing each other at a scale 60 mph looked very good. In fact yesterday's short operating session was great fun. Much better than any English lesson I had at school. Not being assessed as dyslexic until adulthood I think you can understand why I didn't like English and why this petty one up manship debates are pointless when I come on here to view others modelling or debate railway matters.

Let us see something creative.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil

My post was serious post, this is a model railway forum.

Two longish DMUs passing each other at a scale 60 mph looked very good. In fact yesterday's short operating session was great fun. Much better than any English lesson I had at school. Not being assessed as dyslexic until adulthood I think you can understand why I didn't like English and why this petty one up manship debates are pointless when I come on here to view others modelling or debate railway matters.

Let us see something creative.

Couldn't agree more. The constant need to pounce on any slight grammatical error is incredibly tedious.

Jerry  

• Like 2