Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

I used to use a layout in a CCT attached to the cafe in the mid-90s when we did overnighters - could that be the same one? I have no idea what actual location it represented, far too long ago!

Could be , does the name Chatwell ring any bells? A seaside terminus, with an unworkable track plan

Edited by Clive Mortimore

I thought I'd post the results of my Christmas modelling efforts which involved finishing off my Mailcoach/ 247/ MJT BTO/TO pair ex West Riding as below.

DSC_1635.JPG

More details of the build are on my workbench thread at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135510-coulsdon-works/?p=3357918. This pair completes my early '50s West Riding set. It is formed (almost) as per the 1951 carriage workings (thanks Robert C):

BTO/TO (as above)

FO (Southern Pride Thompson standing in for an artic FO pair as happened from time to time)

RT/TO (D&S kit? ex John Houlden bought via Tony)

CK (Bachmann Thompson)

TK

(Bachmann Thompson)

BTK

(Bachmann Thompson)

BCK (Mousa/ MJT end Vestibule Gresley)

CK (Kirk end vestibule Gresley bought on eBay)

TK

(Bachmann Thompson)

TK

(Bachmann Thompson)

BTK

(Bachmann Thompson)

The video on the link below shows the West Riding hauled by A1 60117 (newly fitted with DCC sound) along with the other two key modelling items which I completed over Christmas. Namely

I've installed my first ever working signals (Tony your nagging has paid off). They may only be Dapol, but they're a step forward for me. And finally I've weathered, weeded out the most offensive wagons (I hope) and '3-linked' my trip coal set.

On this video, I've tried to feature the best of DCC sound. I know this won't please everyone (sorry Tony!), but I think it sounds pretty convincing, particularly the EE Type 1.

Andy

That consist was worth the wait!
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Could be , does the name Chatwell ring any bells? A seaside terminus, with an unworkable track plan

I think it was a terminus, I don't recall the name or if the sea was involved. 20 odd years and a lot of alcohol in between times lol

• RMweb Premium

I think it was a terminus, I don't recall the name or if the sea was involved. 20 odd years and a lot of alcohol in between times lol

Hope Jim reads this and can clarify if it was Chatwell. The best part about Chatwell was the station building.....I built it. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Nice, Im not happy as my Bachmann A1 will not pull my Bachmann mk1s 8 is the limit, Ill have to weight it i think.

I think the Bachmann A1s have gradually improved over the years. I have one of the first (60158 masquerading as 60123 HA Ivatt) for which 8 or 9 mark 1s is the limit, then a couple of 60130s which will manage 11 or so. But 60156, 60161 and this one, 60117 will all pull the West Riding rake, the first two with a little wheelslip and 60117 with plenty to spare.

Sorry to be talking so much RTR on here Tony, but I think it’s important to give credit where credit’s due. I should add that all but two of my A1’s have been renamed, and they’ve all got lamps!

Andy

• Like 1

If you mean my A1, then yes, it's pretty good. It will manage a lot more than 13 if they're all RTR.  It's basic Bachmann with no added weight, but it outpulls my DJH A1. It's the new version with DCC gubbins in the tender, so they may have added more weight in the loco. 

Andy

I'm astonished your Bachmann A1 out-pulls your DJH one, Andy.

I've had three (older) Bachmann A1s and none of them was a patch at pulling in comparison with the dozen or more DJH A1s I run on LB.; even after removing the unnecessary bogie spring and adding extra weight. 

My 'West Riding' is a later version, but still with two artic pairs in its consist. It's mainly built from metal kits and a Bachmann A1 just couldn't take it without slipping all the time. 

Congratulations on your festive work, by the way. A credit to your perseverance and insistence on making things for yourself. Good to see, and it's nice to know that John's stock is being used. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

I think the Bachmann A1s have gradually improved over the years. I have one of the first (60158 masquerading as 60123 HA Ivatt) for which 8 or 9 mark 1s is the limit, then a couple of 60130s which will manage 11 or so. But 60156, 60161 and this one, 60117 will all pull the West Riding rake, the first two with a little wheelslip and 60117 with plenty to spare.

Sorry to be talking so much RTR on here Tony, but I think it’s important to give credit where credit’s due. I should add that all but two of my A1’s have been renamed, and they’ve all got lamps!

Andy

Andy,

Credit should be given, where it's due - always.

I hope I can give you credit for removing one lubricator, altering the position of the one left and adding round keeps to the axleboxes on 60156's Cartazzi truck and tender. 

Bachmann obviously didn't know (or didn't mind?) that they'd modelled a roller-bearing A1. 

Further regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I hope I can give you credit for removing one lubricator, altering the position of the one left and adding round keeps to the axleboxes on 60156's Cartazzi truck and tender. 

2 out of 3! How far left do I need to move the surviving lubricator? It looks about half way between the two original positions in the photos I have just checked. Would that be reasonable?post-19760-0-87381700-1546724001_thumb.jpeg
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I'm astonished your Bachmann A1 out-pulls your DJH one, Andy.

I've had three (older) Bachmann A1s and none of them was a patch at pulling in comparison with the dozen or more DJH A1s I run on LB.; even after removing the unnecessary bogie spring and adding extra weight. 

My 'West Riding' is a later version, but still with two artic pairs in its consist. It's mainly built from metal kits and a Bachmann A1 just couldn't take it without slipping all the time. 

Congratulations on your festive work, by the way. A credit to your perseverance and insistence on making things for yourself. Good to see, and it's nice to know that John's stock is being used. 

Regards,

Tony.

Your A1s have the advantage of being built by you! When I got this one it wouldn’t move at all. I fitted a DJH motor gearbox combo, renamed it from Balmoral (which you pointed out was incorrect for one with a riveted tender) and replaced the flangeless centre drivers and it now runs smoothly (by my standards), but still slips badly with the 14 coach Aberdonian which is what I bought it for.post-19760-0-28136400-1546724696_thumb.jpeg
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

What you have also done is to create interesting operation by observation of the real thing and applying it to a fictional location.

Tony, to me that is the heart of the matter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hope Jim reads this and can clarify if it was Chatwell. The best part about Chatwell was the station building.....I built it. 

For some strange reason, that put me in mind of Kenny Everett (in character as Sid Snot): "I come from a broken home. I broke it".

• RMweb Premium

Another Gresley twin completed over the holidays. Diag 210 BT (6) - CL (2-5), allocated to New Basford for workings around the Nottingham area.

Andrew,

That looks superb. I have a pair of Mousa sides in the to do pile, and I think they’ve just moved up the priority list!

Regards

Andy

Another Gresley twin completed over the holidays. Diag 210 BT (6) - CL (2-5), allocated to New Basford for workings around the Nottingham area.

You've made a lovely job of those, Andrew. My favourite diagram! I assume they are for use on Leicester South Goods? Here's a photo of a pair of them at Quorn with a Leicester-Sheffield service in 1952. I have several to build myself when I can get to them. I've been mass producing Parkside and Cambrian coal wagons over Christmas in order to get coal trains of the correct loadings for the Nottingham-Derby line that I'm modelling. Very quick and easy but it'll be nice to get on to something else.

Returning to the D210s and picking your brain (if I may).... You said the ones you've built were based at New Basford. Do you have records of specific allocations? I've only ever managed to get general class allocations for carriages, i.e. 'the D210s were for the Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire services'. Many that worked over the GN lines in Nottingham were based at Basford North carriage sidings which were just up the GC line from New Basford on the spur to the GN Derby line. I recall seeing the allocations ('Basford N') on one or two photos on the ends of the carriages. The New Basford carriage sidings and depot were on the East side of the GC main line just north of New Basford station and I presume had a separate allocation in spite of being situated only about a mile away from Basford North.

post-15879-0-62556100-1546764382_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

2 out of 3! How far left do I need to move the surviving lubricator? It looks about half way between the two original positions in the photos I have just checked. Would that be reasonable?attachicon.gif42BC371F-F061-42CD-9015-E7DFA62C53CB.jpeg

Spot on, Andy,

While you're at it, why not remove those poor bogie wheels and replace them with Markits LNER 3' 2" ones? The difference in appearance is amazing.

Have you tried adding extra weight to 60119? There's usually plenty of space inside the DJH barn of a body. Regarding 60119, I hope it has the incorrect (though correct for the prototype) curly-tailed '6' on its front numberplate. PATRICK STIRLING was the only A1 which never had this corrected. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Your A1s have the advantage of being built by you! When I got this one it wouldn’t move at all. I fitted a DJH motor gearbox combo, renamed it from Balmoral (which you pointed out was incorrect for one with a riveted tender) and replaced the flangeless centre drivers and it now runs smoothly (by my standards), but still slips badly with the 14 coach Aberdonian which is what I bought it for.attachicon.gifEF468E9A-F2F9-4C22-928F-A544919AB56C.jpeg

Thanks Andy,

Do you know who built it? 

From your picture, it looks as if the eccentric rod is too short, and the lean of the eccentric crank appears to be the wrong way. The cylinder drain cocks look to be too short as well.

From a purely personal point of view, I'm always reluctant to buy locos built by others. That's not to say there aren't some gems out there to be acquired (I now own a Mike Edge-built loco, but by a very round-about way). However, in many cases, locos built by (some) others are not very good. My own 'dislike' list includes badly-made chassis, resulting in poor, noisy and uneven running, often exacerbated by awful pick-ups. Bodywork is often 'iffy', with myriads of mistakes - I've lost count of the number of DJH A1s which have passed through my hands which have a Darlington-built number, with snap-head rivets on the tender, and, equally, Doncaster-built ones with smooth tenders. 

From a purely mercenary point of view, I have acquired badly-built locos (invariably glued together) for a pittance; then dismantled the lot and rebuilt them into 'acceptable' locos. 

post-18225-0-62308400-1546771460_thumb.jpg

This was one of a pair of old Wills A3s acquired from the Gloucester swapmeet, when it was the biggest in the land. The date would be some time in the late-'70s. Both were badly glued-together, and had white metal chassis. However, though badly-assembled, no damage was present on the bodies (a day's soaking in Nitromors brought them back to kits) and the chassis had Romford wheels. I scratch-built chassis for them, sold the pair of X04-type motors and ended up with a couple of acceptable 'layout' A3s. Painting them both myself saved money, of course. 

The price I paid? Believe it or not, a mint Hornby-Dublo cement wagon for the two. The stand proprietor thought I was mad offering the exchange (I was helping a mate out, and the stands were adjacent to each other). Never mind, I know I got by far the better of the deal.

Swapmeets are often the places to acquire un-built, part-built or badly-finished kit locos (and kit rolling stock as well). They have no 'value' to collectors (who'd rather squabble over bits of bent tin!) and are worth investigating.

Regards,

Tony.   

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy,

Do you know who built it? 

From your picture, it looks as if the eccentric rod is too short, and the lean of the eccentric crank appears to be the wrong way. The cylinder drain cocks look to be too short as well.

From a purely personal point of view, I'm always reluctant to buy locos built by others. That's not to say there aren't some gems out there to be acquired (I now own a Mike Edge-built loco, but by a very round-about way). However, in many cases, locos built by (some) others are not very good. My own 'dislike' list includes badly-made chassis, resulting in poor, noisy and uneven running, often exacerbated by awful pick-ups. Bodywork is often 'iffy', with myriads of mistakes - I've lost count of the number of DJH A1s which have passed through my hands which have a Darlington-built number, with snap-head rivets on the tender, and, equally, Doncaster-built ones with smooth tenders. 

From a purely mercenary point of view, I have acquired badly-built locos (invariably glued together) for a pittance; then dismantled the lot and rebuilt them into 'acceptable' locos. 

attachicon.gifA3 60039 SANDWICH.jpg

This was one of a pair of old Wills A3s acquired from the Gloucester swapmeet, when it was the biggest in the land. The date would be some time in the late-'70s. Both were badly glued-together, and had white metal chassis. However, though badly-assembled, no damage was present on the bodies (a day's soaking in Nitromors brought them back to kits) and the chassis had Romford wheels. I scratch-built chassis for them, sold the pair of X04-type motors and ended up with a couple of acceptable 'layout' A3s. Painting them both myself saved money, of course. 

The price I paid? Believe it or not, a mint Hornby-Dublo cement wagon for the two. The stand proprietor thought I was mad offering the exchange (I was helping a mate out, and the stands were adjacent to each other). Never mind, I know I got by far the better of the deal.

Swapmeets are often the places to acquire un-built, part-built or badly-finished kit locos (and kit rolling stock as well). They have no 'value' to collectors (who'd rather squabble over bits of bent tin!) and are worth investigating.

Regards,

Tony.   

Hello Tony

Looking at e-bay last night at there are some people who are after prices comparable with new modern RTR for an unmade secondhand kit, without wheels and motor.

There can be some silly prices being asked, a Silver Fox Cravens DMU on an unaltered Hornby class 110 underframe for more than a new, better detailed, better running Bachmann one. Had been at a sensible price  would have brought it because it had a different brake van arrangement to the Bachmann model.

I think the days of cheap secondhand stuff is slowly going as even things like the old Tri-ang Brush Type 2 are selling at £40 plus as good as there were in 1963 they are not worth that in 2019.

• RMweb Gold

What evocative images.........

You must fit lamps, though. The S&D had its own code to differentiate between passenger and goods trains. Not displaying these spoils an otherwise most-convincing rendition.

Regards,

Tony. 

And if you are going to model the S&D Jt you also need to make sure the lamps are wrong.  Unlike everywhere else, which used pictures of lamp etc positions, the S&D Jt Appendix merely referred to lamp positions in words and of course the left hand and right hand sides of a buffer beam are the opposite way round depending on which direction you are looking.  Hence almost every photo I have seen shows engines lamped as they would be looking from the cab forwards rather than looking at a train approaching.  

No doubt everybody was to used to it so it didn't matter, and it was the 'Darset' after all.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello MIke

I took this query up with S&D Fireman/Driver Peter Smith some years ago - he confirmed that he always lamped up according to the forward direction (as per what you say - when viewed from the cab towards the chimney in the forward direction). 

He had never considered it 'a problem' as everyone knew what to do.

There was also the 'light engine' lamp code. And 'standard' express code - lamp or disc over each buffer - was used if the chimney bracket was in use for a train headboard (such as the Pines Express).

Brian

• Like 1

Hello Tony

Looking at e-bay last night at there are some people who are after prices comparable with new modern RTR for an unmade secondhand kit, without wheels and motor.

There can be some silly prices being asked, a Silver Fox Cravens DMU on an unaltered Hornby class 110 underframe for more than a new, better detailed, better running Bachmann one. Had been at a sensible price  would have brought it because it had a different brake van arrangement to the Bachmann model.

I think the days of cheap secondhand stuff is slowly going as even things like the old Tri-ang Brush Type 2 are selling at £40 plus as good as there were in 1963 they are not worth that in 2019.

Good afternoon, Clive,

I don't have the slightest idea how to access ebay, nor ever want to.

My point was more with regard to swapmeets. Without exception, it seems to me, that these don't really cater for 'modellers'. They're aimed at 'collectors', who never seem to alter/improve/renumber/rename/weather any model railway items. All they seem to be interested in is mint, boxed stuff, or general tat at knock-down prices. 

For instance, about 18 months ago, friend, Geoff West, and I took a stand at one Spaldling swapmeet. Geoff was disposing of his diesel stuff, mainly much-improved RTR. Unaltered, but boxed, stuff was grabbed long before the event opened (by traders). Once open to the public, we were astonished by comments such as 'I'd have bought that, but you've taken off the original couplings.' Needless to say, the replacements were scale shackles! Or, 'That's not the number/name which is on the box, and it's been weathered'. Anything improved was rejected by most, though it did eventually sell - but for less, in general, than the unaltered stuff. 

I'm still convinced that kits can be bought at swapmeets for really knocked-down prices. What price a pair of un-made white metal Gresley bogies, complete with Jackson wheels? '50p, mate, is that all right?' The rest of the stand was just second-hand tat as far as I was concerned. On another occasion, a chap was selling four etched-brass, un-made kits for locos for £30.00 the lot. I'd have grabbed them immediately, had they not been Jidenco ones. He had no idea what they were. Even if they'd have been really good etched-brass kits, they'd have still been the same price. Instead, I bought six sets of Gibson loco bogie wheels for £3.00! His stall was mainly second-hand RTR.

Anyway, as the generation (mine), which is principally-interested in steam-outline loco kits, inevitable dies out, prices will tumble over the next few years in my view. I'm under no illusions as to what mine might be worth to any future recipients. 

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 6

Anyway, as the generation (mine), which is principally-interested in steam-outline loco kits, inevitable dies out, prices will tumble over the next few years in my view. I'm under no illusions as to what mine might be worth to any future recipients. 

Well they say every cloud has a silver lining  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  though given a choice I would rather avoid the former and forego the latter .... power to your elbow and here's to many more years of productive modelling  :senile:  :senile:

Edited by Lecorbusier
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Spot on, Andy,

While you're at it, why not remove those poor bogie wheels and replace them with Markits LNER 3' 2" ones? The difference in appearance is amazing.

Have you tried adding extra weight to 60119? There's usually plenty of space inside the DJH barn of a body. Regarding 60119, I hope it has the incorrect (though correct for the prototype) curly-tailed '6' on its front numberplate. PATRICK STIRLING was the only A1 which never had this corrected. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony,

I've tried Markits bogie wheels on some of my RTR pacifics, but, as previously discussed on here I find the difference quite subtle and not really worth the cost, plus I have had some issues with the Markits wheels derailing over some of my less good quality pointwork (I use some older Peco points in the fiddle yard with the 'universal' frog). It does have the curly '6' and '9' (from the Ian Wilson smokebox door sheet).

The boiler on 60119 has the dreaded DCC decoder, so not much room for weight - entirely my own fault you're no doubt thinking!

I got 60119 from a trader at the Uckfield show in 2017. It was £100 reduced to £80 when I pointed out that it didn't work. As it was generally quite tidy, I thought that was a fair to good price, but I have had to buy a motor/ gearbox and two drivers (to replace the flangeless centre drivers) for it.

The cylinder drain cocks are plastic RTR ones to avoid a short, while I haven't much idea about eccentric rods I'm afraid. I may bring it to Stevenage next weekend for you to point out what I need to do if that's OK?

Regards

Andy

• Like 2