Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Part of the problem now is that the generation who have been brought up on electronic devices have lost the art of conversation, discussion and reason with their fellow humans, I I think we are heading for some difficult times soon as a race of people.

This is an interesting take on the impact of electronic devices .... not sure I agree with all of it, but interesting none the less!

• Like 2

Here in Wigan a Mickey was a Black 5 !!

As to people, I've worked with most "types" in a very politically uncorrect environment (Gas distribution). Some real dumbos - (and some of those were managers !!). Brilliant, clever, average or as thick as a Tockholes butty (sandwich) virtually everyone was a pleasure to work with - I could tell many tales - but perhaps not on a model railway forum. Those tales are best left for our twice yearly Wigan gasmans meeting (pi55 up) -  and yes we have a very diverse group education wise who still regularly attend, labourer through to district engineer. The same old tales are told, much beer consumed and lots of tears in eyes through laughter- that's how it should be.!!

Brit15

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Under the brick paving you mean.

Almost all the buildings sit into a 'footprint' cut from thin card. That way, one doesn't get the dreaded 'shadow' underneath them, and, therefore, it's impossible to sweep anything under them.  

Yes

Now when you next go out to the railway make sure he hasn't swept a load of cobwebs under the paving.

You can tell if he has if the building is tilted.

• RMweb Gold

I suppose part of the problem with the electronic age is that the ability to respond quickly encourages that very phenomenon, which (I would argue) increases the risks of spelling or grammatical mistakes creeping in.

I find myself getting increasingly pedantic about speech and grammar as the years pass, only to be roundly pulled up by my wife when I get it wrong myself! For example:

'Can I have a cup of tea, please, my dear?'

'Yes, you can!'

'OK, may I have a cup of tea then, please?'

'Of course, I'll make you one!'

But don't let me give you the impression that I never lift a finger in the kitchen, quite the contrary. I'm off there now, in fact, to make the tea!

Although I live in the USA I've never met Donald Trump but I think we might be related (through marriage). His mother was a MacLeod from Lewis. My cousin is married to a MacLeod from Lewis.

I'll leave it at that.

Re: Use of English, and people with various differences.

May I suggest:-

Tolerance, common sense, common courtesy.

I did suggest this on another thread, but perhaps it will bear repetition.

By the way the biography of George (and Robert) Stephenson by David Ross suggests that George was slightly dyslexic. He built quite a few railways. 

• Like 3

Re: Use of English, and people with various differences.

May I suggest:-

Tolerance, common sense, common courtesy.

I did suggest this on another thread, but perhaps it will bear repetition.

By the way the biography of George (and Robert) Stephenson by David Ross suggests that George was slightly dyslexic. He built quite a few railways.

Can I echo this post?

As a nation we seem to be becoming unpleasantly intollerant these days. That upsets me as a Brit as I always believed that we are (or were) a most tollerant society.

Sadly that no longer seems to be the case.

Tim T

Modelling Cwm Cynon in EM

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

This is an interesting take on the impact of electronic devices .... not sure I agree with all of it, but interesting none the less!

I really liked this clip, notwithstanding it is not about railway modelling; thanks for posting it.

For me it encapsulates the reasons behind the anti-social, device-centric behaviours that have been discussed here several times in he past.

Solving the problem and reducing the younger generations addiction to these devices will not be easy!

Tony

Thanks Tim,

Probably not, at least not for 1958. In the late summer of that year, I was almost 12 years old, and, by then, a bit taller than the wee trainspotter. However, the garb is dead right - short trousers were for me then, still - even into the first year of senior school. 

I've actually been scanned by ModelU - as I am today (or at least as I was two years ago). A friend took 'me' away to paint, but I've not seen 'myself' completed yet. At least I'm holding a camera - appropriate for the time; a twin lens reflex type. 

Regards,

Tony. 

One of those moments when you've waited for ages (years) and then three come along at all once, will happen in less than a week.

Edited by Anglian

Okay, here's some recent modelling but not what people probably expect (in that it's not an old steam engine).

It's a bit of scenic infrastructure - a vehicle ramp that goes over a car park/compound at the foot of Southwark Towers (now demolished and replaced with the Shard) that leads up to the terminus section of London Bridge station. Being a complex shape with curves, angles and various levels it was quite a tricky build but is all scratch-build from cardboard and clad, where necessary, with brick and plain plasticard. Scale, as usual for me, is N/2mm:

post-33-0-45536400-1547146364_thumb.jpg

It's not an exact replica as there's a fair degree of simplification and compression (which does tend to make the ramps look quite steep). And it's not finished - there some palisade security fencing to go on top of the compound wall and various height restriction signs as well as street furniture - but it will do for now. Here's what it is supposed to be based on:

post-33-0-64536700-1547146545_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 17

Personally, I sometimes wish there was a lot less blather and more modelling here on what is probably the most-visited  thread on RM.

John

I wonder why it 'is probably the most-visited thread on RMweb'? 

I reckon there's a lot more modelling shown and talked about on here than about the tenets of grammar and how we should treat each other (though not every day). 

Nice A8, by the way. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright

• RMweb Premium

If you are a Millennial, you may prefer not to watch this. Disclaimers: any offence caused to Millennials or others is entirely unintentional. As far as I know, no Millennials were harmed during the making of this video.

• RMweb Gold

Well I am a millennial being born in December 1985. First time I've heard of the word.

The job interview video, yeah I don't do 8am either! Naturally my body clock has always been to the night and suits me as a professional driver where I can go through the night without being tired and one of a few available when things go wrong on the railways.

Well I am a millennial being born in December 1985. First time I've heard of the word.

What I didn't agree with on the Sinek talk was the lazy bracketing of 'millennials' coupled to the broad brush stroke generalisations ... but the effects of social media if only partly true were illuminating. 

I'm not sure if I've posted this before (although I think it is on my own card modelling thread) but the walling right in the bottom photo in post #31130 (above) is part of the viaduct that extends to Deptford and has the overall terminus train shed roof support wall on top, as here:

post-33-0-10000700-1547155451_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-91809800-1547155487_thumb.jpg

In preparation for modelling it, I made two masters (the bottom three arch viaduct walling section and the equivalent length top trainshed wall) and produced RTV moulds that I can resin cast sufficient numbers for the length required. Again they are not exact replicas (simplified and compressed) and have been designed to 'link' together and for the trainshed wall to sit on top of the viaduct section. I test produced a few examples as shown below (in primer grey):

post-33-0-11523000-1547155743_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-93034300-1547155785_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-58004600-1547155811_thumb.jpg

Obviously they will need painting and weathering and the 'in arch' business/doorways etc., added.

G.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure if I've posted this before (although I think it is on my own card modelling thread) but the walling right in the bottom photo in post #31130 (above) is part of the viaduct that extends to Deptford and has the overall terminus train shed roof support wall on top, as here:

attachicon.gifLB b29.JPG

attachicon.gifLB b30.JPG

In preparation for modelling it, I made two masters (the bottom three arch viaduct walling section and the equivalent length top trainshed wall) and produced RTV moulds that I can resin cast sufficient numbers for the length required. Again they are not exact replicas (simplified and compressed) and have been designed to 'link' together and for the trainshed wall to sit on top of the viaduct section. I test produced a few examples as shown below (in primer grey):

attachicon.gifDSC_5566.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_5565.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_5576.JPG

Obviously they will need painting and weathering and the 'in arch' business/doorways etc., added.

G.

The current brick arches on the new station also look as if they are moulded in plastic Grahame!

Tim

• Like 1

I really liked this clip, notwithstanding it is not about railway modelling; thanks for posting it.

For me it encapsulates the reasons behind the anti-social, device-centric behaviours that have been discussed here several times in he past.

Solving the problem and reducing the younger generations addiction to these devices will not be easy!

Tony

Unfortunately I think some of the issues mentioned, particularly the addiction to electronic devices, facebook etc are not confined to the younger generation. Edited by JeremyC

• RMweb Gold

It's not the electronic devices that can be an addiction but they are used for, yes I get moaned a lot for being on the phone a lot but that's is because they can do everything. Emails but because of the amount of spam as well as general emails I've had to switch that off until needed now as it gets too much to deal with.

Social media (even this forum comes under the category) is used for occasional communication, banter, information/research and in my case, publicity.

Then theres computer for designing kits, updating the websites and doing paperwork, all this very boring to me. I am far happier making patterns physically but is not always practible.

The age of the Internet has really connected and transformed our lives, personally for better I think with so much information shared and widely available than ever before. Just take care in what you do with it and what you say on it.

• Like 4

Hello,

Who is that fellow by the signal box playing tennis with. It does not seem a very safe environment for such behavior. As for spelling. No matter how many times it happens I always have a problem spelling feild as field until I actually see it written. How weird is that after more than six decades?

trustytrev,:)

• Like 2

Tone,

I haven't seen the free figures with the magazine, but, from what you say, they would appear to be big (too big), if not quite Brobdingnagian. 

Figures can enhance a model railway in a delightful way, or, by their very presence can bring too much attention to themselves by being too big, too misshapen, clumsily-painted and indulging in extreme activities. I always think it's best to have figures in repose or in 'light activity', rather than in great activity, such as pub brawls which one occasionally sees. Another 'nonsense' one sometimes sees on layouts are things like cricket matches taking place. That's not uncommon - I've played at places like Welshpool, overlooking the line there, at Caersws, with the line just above the ground and at Claypole, with the ECML forming one edge of the boundary - but these miniature figures are playing on a model postage stamp. One groundsman suggested that every cricket field should be at least an acre in size. A fair amount of land on a model railway. It's the same with model football matches.

I'm very fortunate that the figures on Little Bytham have all been donated by the likes of Geoff West, Tim Elcock, Paul Marshall Potter and Philip Warren, and all have been beautifully-presented and painted. Gentlemen, thank you very much. 

The following images show some of the not-too-many figures in place on LB. One thing which should be remembered is that these are cruel close-ups. 

attachicon.giffigures 01.jpg

attachicon.giffigures 02.jpg

attachicon.giffigures 03.jpg

attachicon.giffigures 04.jpg

attachicon.giffigures 05.jpg

attachicon.giffigures 06.jpg

attachicon.giffigures 07.jpg

I don't know who made/painted the little cyclist below. He arrived in a box of junk which was being thrown out from the family of a deceased modeller, so I took pity on him. 

attachicon.giffigures 08.jpg

I note that grammar has come to the fore again.

If folk are sensitive about their English mistakes being picked-up (or picked-on?) then should we (and I'm including myself very much in this 'we') be more-sensitive towards them? I honestly think it's just light-hearted banter. 

I think Ive learnt much betterer english from you tony in the last couple of years then i did in school. 

Lovely figures by the way, the close ups look fine to me. 

Also, I have sent that parcel with the D2 inside. There is also a BR mineral wagon inside that I have no use for, bit of weathering and it should be suitable for LB. 

• Like 3

I think Ive learnt much betterer english from you tony in the last couple of years then i did in school. 

Lovely figures by the way, the close ups look fine to me. 

Also, I have sent that parcel with the D2 inside. There is also a BR mineral wagon inside that I have no use for, bit of weathering and it should be suitable for LB. 

Thanks Jesse,

It would have been a fascinating (and most-amusing) experience to have taught you. After some initial sparring (from which I would have come out on top, naturally!), I think we'd have settled down to a really meaningful teacher/pupil relationship. 

Just as we now have a really meaningful friendship. Who could have foreseen it, three years ago? A crusty septuagenarian, stuck in his ways (and rejoicing in them), prejudiced (with justification) and deeply, deeply suspicious of anything 'modern', meets up with an Aussie in his early twenties displaying all the features this miserable old git (I resemble that remark) finds anathema in/on a bloke. Long hair, body piercings, tattoos and appalling grammatical speech!  Now we're best mates, and I count that a privilege, so thanks again.

Perhaps there's a lesson to be learned here, especially with regard to upsetting folk's feelings. You've risen to the challenges of my prejudices and given me what I've given you in equal measure. Something which exists in a close friendship. Good on you - mickey-taking (and giving) the way it should be. Not injurious to others' sensitivities, which seems to have happened recently. Let's hope that's the last of it. 

The praise for the figures should be given to the four guys who created them. 

I'll see what needs doing on the loco.

Kind regards,

Tony. 

• Like 9