Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Agree on the wonders of transporter bridges.  Up close, they are massive, powerful structures.  Here are sample images from fleeting visits to see the Middlesborough and Newport [second two] bridges on consecutive days in June 2016:

DSCN1337.JPG.fec8f43ecf132571e8600db18057f0b9.JPG

Below, Newport

DSCN1397.JPG.3415013a35400a46848775756a898423.JPG

DSCN1393.JPG.f66422959318265e3ea69ae223df2c72.JPG

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, Engineer said:

Very many thanks and much respect for the superb professional images of the Heljan M-V Bo-Bo, earlier on this page. 

I put up the image of loco 2 to complement the loco naming discussion and conscious of the cricket connection.  Loco 2 is interesting, though, the first of the 'new' locomotives to leave Vickers in Barrow after they'd produced some initial 'reconstructions' of existing locomotives.  Loco 2 is the only one of out of the twenty to have a complete name change - it carried 'Oliver Cromwell' until the Second War.

In response to the model images, here is my father's picture of loco 5 on 12th August 1961, near to the end of its service career, though it survives in the London Transport Museum.  My father was a Met Railway employee and keen amateur photographer who regretted his late start to photographing railways.

558782949_R011proof.jpg.b29725df57b6aa4fc5cd1f47034fae04.jpg

Compare the above to the views of the model loco.  We are looking at the 'Down' or 'Country' end in Met language [D End in LT terminology], and there is some subtle handing in a couple of features.  Loco 5, the 9th to leave Vickers, Barrow in 1922, is a one-off in one particular respect - take a look at the footsteps below the doors.  There were [broadly] two types of steps in the fleet - plus loco 5 with an unique set.  This picture was taken with a 6x6cm format camera, Rolleiflex 3.5F, my father's favourite.  My mother and I were close by.

Just a couple of images to illustrate the exploits of the still-active Loco 12.  First my picture at Harrow in 1982 [Minolta SLR, 35m]

1770532394_Loco12proof.jpg.c5cc05385756ad8e401ad6e227438b2a.jpg

My father's picture at Gloucester Road Junction, Selhurst, 1983, also Minolta SLR, 35mm.  Apologies for image quality here, it is a low-res copy of a 16x12 print, quickest to lay hands on.

367207010_GRJ1983proof.jpg.933db04f30b35bfe04fd54375a40ecf6.jpg

Finally, my half-started work on a 7mm kit.  My aim is to include a new all-axle drive and revised chassis, and I'll incorporate the detailed subtleties of the particular prototype.  I took great care and time with the 'face' of the model - very tricky to get just the right expression.

1846233494_DSCN4193p.jpg.54cfb25acb661ca129473dfe1da24fe5.jpg

How wonderful,

Thanks for posting these.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

The pictures look great. 
I do have a question. I am starting on a build of the lner dynamometer car. I am basing a lot on photos, but my eyes are not good at discerning which bogies it rides on. Are they 8’ or 8’6”? Are the normal or HD? 
my guess is normal rather than HD. I am much less sure on the length though. So I defer to the great wisdom on here. I would like to be accurate if possible.

many thanks

richard 

Tony,

sorry to but in on the modelling thread but I know how popular it is. In the past I make light of the current situation but may I make a plea to all readers?

Please when you order your next repeat prescription can you check your stock levels as I know sometimes meds build up and they’re not needed every time . We don’t want another supermarket fiasco.

sorry for the interruption, modelling and book reading may continue.

Rant over, keep well and goodnight,

Robert (exhausted ex-semi retired pharmacist)

Edited by Erichill16
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

37 minutes ago, richard i said:

The pictures look great. 
I do have a question. I am starting on a build of the lner dynamometer car. I am basing a lot on photos, but my eyes are not good at discerning which bogies it rides on. Are they 8’ or 8’6”? Are the normal or HD? 
my guess is normal rather than HD. I am much less sure on the length though. So I defer to the great wisdom on here. I would like to be accurate if possible.

many thanks

richard 

Good evening Richard,

8'6'' standard

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Engineer said:

367207010_GRJ1983proof.jpg.933db04f30b35bfe04fd54375a40ecf6.jpg

I bet that's Les Kenward sticking his head out of 4732.

I've got some pictures somewhere of Loco 12 at the Brighton Open Day on 16/7/83, with 4732 and 2090.

9 hours ago, Headstock said:

Good evening Richard,

8'6'' standard

Thank you. I knew someone would know on here. After looking through all my books plus the internet and not coming up trumps, I thought the heads on here would have it logged somewhere. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Tony Wright said:

Butt in on a modelling thread? 

Please do, every time, when it's a subject so important. 

Unfortunately we have a situation now which I refer to as 'The revenge of the D stream'. For too long excuses have been made for the dimwits in society who are either too selfish or too thick to understand the ramifications of their actions. 

Regards,

Tony. 

But almost as dimwitted or self-centred are the A stream who don't realise that their message does not resonate with the D stream. Many in the D stream will only be partially aware of what is currently happening. They don't watch the news. They do watch EastEnders where, yesterday evening, The Queen Vic was still open.

About 30 years ago, I did some temp work in an office. It was a complete revelation to me that there are people who will spend their coffee break discussing the previous evening's Coronation Street as though the plotlines were happening to someone in their own family. And then, of course, there are the thousands who order turkeys from The Archers.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

A few more MR/M&GNR shots this morning..........

1361396816_2P40454onNotts-KingsLynnthree-set.jpg.abb211779aa9dc9bfd740d86b7658ccf.jpg

1543302288_2P40585onNotts-KingsLynnthree-set.jpg.dd4297e26ba301729d3b67199a1ce6ef.jpg

B1.jpg.fe82402ef66b534fa99d1daa4e62f3fa.jpg

1510559885_Ivatt22-6-0.jpg.44a82e4abb40ee932665314a5e3127df.jpg

Please keep on showing us what you're up to modelling-wise during this time of crisis. In a small way, speaking personally, it adds a touch of 'normality'. I get engrossed in what I'm doing, enabling me to take my mind off things, at least for a time. 

Good Morning Tony,

Good to see you briefly on Saturday, at a greater distance than the minimum advised, I should add.  Bytham looking great, I was looking forward to seeing the new overbridge, hopefully that will be possible again soon. 

Did you receive info I sent you on PM?

Best Wishes

Lee

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

But almost as dimwitted or self-centred are the A stream who don't realise that their message does not resonate with the D stream. Many in the D stream will only be partially aware of what is currently happening. They don't watch the news. They do watch EastEnders where, yesterday evening, The Queen Vic was still open.

About 30 years ago, I did some temp work in an office. It was a complete revelation to me that there are people who will spend their coffee break discussing the previous evening's Coronation Street as though the plotlines were happening to someone in their own family. And then, of course, there are the thousands who order turkeys from The Archers.

Is it the Grundy's who farm the turkeys? :dontknow:

28 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Butt in on a modelling thread? 

Please do, every time, when it's a subject so important. Thank you.

Unfortunately we have a situation now which I refer to as 'The revenge of the D stream'. For too long excuses have been made for the dimwits in society who are either too selfish or too thick to understand the ramifications of their actions. 

Or is that politically-incorrect? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Dimwits? Politically incorrect? Some the names I have called the pillocks makes dimwit seem quite polite.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Yesssss........ when a baby in born in the major soaps, apparently hundreds or even thousands of gifts are sent to the BBC or ITV.  I guess they could be passed to the parents of the baby "actor", but still.  Likewise when there is a death, thousands of condolence cards.

As for these people being the "D stream", never underestimate the ability of groups of intelligent people to behave with real stupidity.

• Agree 9

1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

They do watch EastEnders where, yesterday evening, The Queen Vic was still open.

So how do you know?

I could be wrong but I think that EastEnders is a fantasy fictional story and as such probably doesn't reflect or depict real life accurately. It's sad that some think it does.

Now, when are the showing the next episode of 'War of the Worlds' (the series currently showing on Fox rather than the poor version made by the BBC recently).

;-)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

A few more MR/M&GNR shots this morning..........

1361396816_2P40454onNotts-KingsLynnthree-set.jpg.abb211779aa9dc9bfd740d86b7658ccf.jpg

1543302288_2P40585onNotts-KingsLynnthree-set.jpg.dd4297e26ba301729d3b67199a1ce6ef.jpg

B1.jpg.fe82402ef66b534fa99d1daa4e62f3fa.jpg

1510559885_Ivatt22-6-0.jpg.44a82e4abb40ee932665314a5e3127df.jpg

Please keep on showing us what you're up to modelling-wise during this time of crisis. In a small way, speaking personally, it adds a touch of 'normality'. I get engrossed in what I'm doing, enabling me to take my mind off things, at least for a time. 

You are quite right Tony. Our hobby often requires a degree of concentration that can cause all the troubles of the world to be forgotten for a while. All that matters is getting something soldered on well and in the right place!

My little shed is a real place of sanctuary not just from day to day local matters but from the rest of the world.

I am a bit reluctant to post photos of what I am doing. There are too many critics on RMWeb for my liking. So anything I show would have to be perfect before I subject it to scrutiny and I rarely, if ever, achieve perfection!

In the last week I have finished the track for the station throat for a new small layout, done a lot of work on two Midland Railway Signal boxes, made some good progress with a 4mm model of "Valour" and built most of a District Railway 4 wheeled carriage, so I have been quite active.

This "Not going out" does have some benefits.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Don't you follow?  It is the Grundys that rear the turkeys.

Bill

No, I don't. Probably 40 years since I last listened to an episode. They used to order them from the old farmer Archer who died years ago. I did not know that the Grundy family was now doing something useful.

11 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

You are quite right Tony. Our hobby often requires a degree of concentration that can cause all the troubles of the world to be forgotten for a while. All that matters is getting something soldered on well and in the right place!

My little shed is a real place of sanctuary not just from day to day local matters but from the rest of the world.

I am a bit reluctant to post photos of what I am doing. There are too many critics on RMWeb for my liking. So anything I show would have to be perfect before I subject it to scrutiny and I rarely, if ever, achieve perfection!

In the last week I have finished the track for the station throat for a new small layout, done a lot of work on two Midland Railway Signal boxes, made some good progress with a 4mm model of "Valour" and built most of a District Railway 4 wheeled carriage, so I have been quite active.

'I am a bit reluctant to post photos of what I am doing. There are too many critics on RMWeb for my liking. So anything I show would have to be perfect before I subject it to scrutiny and I rarely, if ever, achieve perfection!'

Good morning Tony,

I think the best way of answering 'critics' is two-fold. One, show us what you're doing, anyway. And, two, ask the critics to show us what they're doing. What's sauce for the goose and so on........

And, since when did anyone (even the greatest modellers) ever achieve 'perfection'? (Though I accept the tongue-in-cheek status of your statement, even the irony). 

What I've found with this thread is an abundance of wonderful modelling (I'm abstracting myself from that observation), in all scales and gauges. I've learnt an enormous amount from it and (I'm definitely saying it's not 'mine' here), I think it's been inspirational - because of what folk have shown us; what they're actually making.

I think looking at what others have made and showing what we've made is very important right now, even if it receives 'criticism'. 

You have a lot to offer, I assure you.

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

34 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Tony G. You are too modest, post your pictures and be damned. Some of the detractors on here have never picked up a scalpel.

All the best,

Dave Franks

See you sometime next year....

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

21 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

'I am a bit reluctant to post photos of what I am doing. There are too many critics on RMWeb for my liking. So anything I show would have to be perfect before I subject it to scrutiny and I rarely, if ever, achieve perfection!'

Good morning Tony,

I think the best way of answering 'critics' is two-fold. One, show us what you're doing, anyway. And, two, ask the critics to show us what they're doing. What's sauce for the goose and so on........

And, since when did anyone (even the greatest modellers) ever achieve 'perfection'? (Though I accept the tongue-in-cheek status of your statement, even the irony). 

What I've found with this thread is an abundance of wonderful modelling (I'm abstracting myself from that observation), in all scales and gauges. I've learnt an enormous amount from it and (I'm definitely saying it's not 'mine' here), I think it's been inspirational - because of what folk have shown us; what they're actually making.

I think looking at what others have made and showing what we've made is very important right now, even if it receives 'criticism'. 

You have a lot to offer, I assure you.

Regards,

Tony.  

Hi Tony

The last set of photos were excellent I do like the embankment landscaping.

Regarding criticism you only have to look at the stats for your thread to see how popular it is.

My answer to the critics would be at the top of the page there is a "ignore this topic" button just press it if you don't like what you see.

I am sure the majority of members like me thoroughly enjoy the content and subjects discussed on a daily basis.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 9