Dapol announce 7mm HAA, HEA and VEA at Warley

Andy Y

HAAs? Oh, dear - I can foresee the potential for financial ruin at Casa HeavyDuty.

Hopefully Dapol will keep these in regular production for people that want to amass a quantity of them - it'll be hard to choke down more than a few at a time.

It's great that Dapol are producing some modern wagons to go with their forthcoming 08 shunter, but the HAA seems a slightly odd choice as not many O gauge modellers with have the room/wallet size for a realistic length train of them!

... unless, of course, the "next range of announcements" - whenever that may be - contains something useful to pull them.

Thank you Andy, this is good news for the O-gauge modellers amongst us, especially when read in tandem with Kernow's 7mm proposals! as I am unable to get to Warley this year I was wondering whether there any news regarding Dapol's N-gauge rolling stock, especially the Grampus wagons?

Linners

It's great that Dapol are producing some modern wagons to go with their forthcoming 08 shunter, but the HAA seems a slightly odd choice as not many O gauge modellers with have the room/wallet size for a realistic length train of them!

Barry WRD had dozens of MGR wagons stabled for repair, or a single wagon being pushed about by a 08 into and out of the repair shop.

Great Western.

• Like 1

... unless, of course, the "next range of announcements" - whenever that may be - contains something useful to pull them.

I dont think Dapol will step into the big deisel or steam locomotive market to be honest. They are looking at the smaller end of the scale, the 08 and Terrier at circa £160 per loco is an acceptable price. When your looking at £300 for a 37,47,56 etc you start to get out of middle aged pocket money.

Just my thoughts, Dapol must be given huge praise for such a commitment to O guage though!

Great Western,

• Like 1

£300+ for a loco is indeed a lot of money, but for an rtr model it's not bad when you think that most of the current kits for "big locos" - steam or diesel - cost more than that already.

As an example, a JLTRT Class 50 - £440 for the kit, plus wheels, motor, solder, tools, paint, transfers and your time on top of that. http://www.justliketherealthing.co.uk/class-50-refurb-o-gauge-diesel-loco-kit-p-22.html?cPath=46 and of course other kits and manufacturers are available

When you think that people said nobody would spend £300 at a time on OO gauge but then the Blue Pullman comes along, see how well that's sold... it may not be "pocket money" but like most things, if you save up for long enough you can get one. The only problem of course is that by the time you've saved up, they're all sold out because everything seems to be limited runs these days.

• Like 3

I only just managed to secure five of the 8 plank BR wagons, as they were more or less sold out on pre orders. Put into the context of the Blue Pullman for example or the JLTRT kits, then fair enough £300-400 for a Class 56 RTR is a bargain!

But then with big locos you need a decent size layout to fit it on, Im looking at approx 18ft long by 3ft wide for a basis wagon repair shop for the 08 and some wagons to shunt about on. Throw in a 56 or another big loco and that space looks pretty small.

If Dapol did a big loco then great, the more than better as along as it sells of course. After 20 yrs of waiting O scale is finally in finanical reach for the masses.

Great Western.

• Like 1

But then with big locos you need a decent size layout to fit it on, Im looking at approx 18ft long by 3ft wide for a basis wagon repair shop for the 08 and some wagons to shunt about on. Throw in a 56 or another big loco and that space looks pretty small.

Such is the nature, advantage and downfall of O gauge :)

Why? These are VEA not vacuum braked vanwides. So only the later freight brown is suitable http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/vea The photograph (that I assume Andy chose) is NOT a VEA, it is an unrebuilt VB one in conservation, without lettering.

Yes I noticed that as well, although it does illustrate that with a bit of thought, it would be easy enough for Dapol to do a vac brake vanwide.

The other odd comment is the olive green with yellow ends version - I think they have chosen a Transrail branded example (also illustrated on your site) which I've always believed was grey with yellow ends. The olive green with yellow ends examples I've always believed were the MOD internal users, which were mostly (but certainly not exclusively) vanwides without the modified suspension.

jon

• Like 1

The other odd comment is the olive green with yellow ends version - I think they have chosen a Transrail branded example (also illustrated on your site) which I've always believed was grey with yellow ends. The olive green with yellow ends examples I've always believed were the MOD internal users, which were mostly (but certainly not exclusively) vanwides without the modified suspension.

I'd agree with that, the later RfD livery with the yellow ends was definitely grey, Executive Dark Grey in fact. Although if Dapol have been looking at a faded one, then I can understand where the confusion may have arisen, as that colour takes on a distinct green-ish tinge when very faded.

Again, I agree completely, the green with yellow ends were MOD internal users, although did the MOD buy some of the VEA's after BR stopped using them?

I'd agree with that, the later RfD livery with the yellow ends was definitely grey, Executive Dark Grey in fact. Although if Dapol have been looking at a faded one, then I can understand where the confusion may have arisen, as that colour takes on a distinct green-ish tinge when very faded.

Again, I agree completely, the green with yellow ends were MOD internal users, although did the MOD buy some of the VEA's after BR stopped using them?

This is 230142 in Executive grey http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/vea/e10515e07

Paul Bartlett

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Just browsing Dapol's site and I noticed that there's a couple of new entries, including very small CAD/CAMs for both the HAA and HEA hoppers. Both also come with a provisional third quarter 2015 release.

HAA

http://Dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=179_298_299_591

HEA

http://Dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=179_298_299_592

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I'll chase this one as well, any news anyone or just another fantasy project.

I was just thinking that the other day - where have these got too??? - I have been looking forward to the HEA for too long now - fingers crossed - we don't have to wait much longer......???

• 5 months later...

Dapol Website gives HEA  as in tooling  with an ETA  2nd quarter 2016, as are the 10'wb vans.   Presumably in concert with the 08.   If we are lucky they may make Telford !  

HAA is given as 3rd quarter   (Christmas 2016?)  

The first engineering samples of the 08 have been shown, so maybe light at the end of the tunnel but obviously care of cups and lips is still needed.