Bakewell - Peak District Line BR - Layout Views

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic work Al. Absolutely stunning. That scene has real atmosphere. Just needs some "oo" gauge stinging nettles growing through the middle of them which invariable happens. Dread to think how you would create that though. Will definitely looking at your thread closely now for hints and tips. Especially the first building project which will probably be the road bridge by the depot.

Is the grass static grass or is it hanging basket liner. Going to be plenty of greenery to attend to on Peak Dale eventually.

Cheers

Marcus.

Thanks Marcus, that's very kind of you. I thought just the same as you, it needs some nettles and other weeds, just not sure how to produce them yet.

The grass is all different lengths and shades of static grass, applied direct to the painted newspaper. I will be using some hanging basket liner to blend it into the rest of the layout along the front edge, and as i say it needs some walls as well.

Cheers,

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely Fabulous Al, such inspirational modelling.

Thanks mate. It's your skills that have inspired me to have a go from the beginning, and I've mostly just copied what you do...

Thanks Don,

Our Derbyshire limestone sounds like the Wenlock edge stuff - not surprising as it's only just over the border - it's very hard and brittle as you say, with sharp edges when split, as i've found to my cost when dry-stone walling.

Know what you mean about the smell of the trailer, you can't beat a bit of pig manure wafting on the breeze of a morning :)

I think that might be one reason why gritstone lintels are so common round here - apart from the Chatsworth estate, there's very little timber of any size to use for building. The stone is probably the only option.

There's a lovely photo somewhere of an Oak tree that was brought by rail to help replace the beams in the church roof at Bakewell...

Ah, here it is:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/bakewell/index157.shtml

Yes mate, it works very well - I can't remember whether I knicked it off you or Adrian :)

Al.

Well I nicked it off gravy train ;)...

Absolutely first class modelling Al, not only does the barn look the business, but the whole scenic treatment is just excellent. I especially love the muddy track through the long grass, brilliantly observed.

You've probably mentioned it before, but how do you apply the grass? Have you got an expensive grasmaster, or is it a flyswatter plugged into the mains? ;)

I have an idea for ultra-cheap static grass application, but first I need some static grass...

Thanks mate. It's your skills that have inspired me to have a go from the beginning, and I've mostly just copied what you do...

Morning Al, Sorry but I had to tick a FUNNY as I think KNOW, YOU'VE GOT THE WRONG BLOKE GUVNOR, I've never really built anything like buildings or vehicles in my life, I just buy ready to plant.

You still impress me, and thanks for the compliment anyway.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely first class modelling Al, not only does the barn look the business, but the whole scenic treatment is just excellent. I especially love the muddy track through the long grass, brilliantly observed.

You've probably mentioned it before, but how do you apply the grass? Have you got an expensive grasmaster, or is it a flyswatter plugged into the mains? ;)

I have an idea for ultra-cheap static grass application, but first I need some static grass...

Thanks Lee. I use one of the cheap tea-strainer modifications (not plugged into the mains) It runs off 2 AA batteries, but I can attest that it generates a goodly belt :O

I foolishly used the hand holding the croc clip in place to tap the tea-strainer bit against, whilst the button was pressed... cue a loud ZZZZAAPPPP and a YELL and static grass flying in all directions...

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Morning Al, Sorry but I had to tick a FUNNY as I think KNOW, YOU'VE GOT THE WRONG BLOKE GUVNOR, I've never really built anything like buildings or vehicles in my life, I just buy ready to plant.

You still impress me, and thanks for the compliment anyway.

Cheers Andy, I know you haven't done buildings, but your weathering of rolling stock and your scenic skills are the things that have inspired me.

• RMweb Gold

I love the diorama Al you can just imagine the wind blowing across the moors, the bleat of sheep on the hillsides just makes you want to go back to the farmhouse for a warm on the Rayburn :jester: :jester: . I know what you mean by Andy inspiring you but I think you are upping the ante here.

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well, thanks to Marcus, there I was, having a quick ciggie round the back of the office this morning, and I saw this:

post-17302-0-05964800-1426796676_thumb.jpg

And I thought... NETTLES!

I wasn't sure if this would work, but I made a dilute mix of PVA glue:

post-17302-0-92184500-1426796677_thumb.jpg

and I cut off the tips of the branches, soaked them in the PVA, and dunked them in Woodlands Scenics Mid Green Turf.

They look like this:

post-17302-0-74133400-1426796679_thumb.jpg

So, I started to add them round the truck:

post-17302-0-57227100-1426796682_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-13395700-1426796685_thumb.jpg

Not too bad, I thought, so I carried on, until I'd got to this:

post-17302-0-66886600-1426796687_thumb.jpg

I added some corrugated iron - every farm has sheets of rusty corrugated iron lying about, don't they?

post-17302-0-10685400-1426796694_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-18388100-1426796696_thumb.jpg

So, here we are, Nettles!

post-17302-0-43230600-1426796691_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-20490800-1426796698_thumb.jpg

They're a bit thick in the stem, but I reckon from a distance they look OK...

Thanks for looking,

Al.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, great looking nettles, I bet you are out hunting for Dockleaves now. All the best Adrian.

Lol, I was just thinking, you always see Dock leaves growing near nettles...

Now how do I do that??

Al.