Hattons did it to me!

davefrk

Hi all, just wondered if anyone else has had an email this week cancelling their pre-order for Thompson subs.

I'm just a bit miffed as I've had my pre-order since January and my mates who ordered around the same time have had the coaches for weeks now and, I hear of some who ordered recently and got a 'by return' delivery, so what's going on.

I emailed Hattons for clarification and got a 'very sorry, item deleted by manufacturer' reply and have emailed once again to query why people were able to order in late November and receive the same coaches I had on order.

A not a very happy customer and I'll certainly not use the pre-order facility again. :nono:

Dave Franks.

Dave,

I had a similar experience, having ordered 2 of each variety when they were first announced. I received an e-mail saying the thirds and brakes were on their way, (luckily!!), but no compos. I queried this and they apologised for the oversight, and I did receive 2 from the next batch. I had already sourced some from alternative suppliers, which is not a problem, as I can use several of these. I had ordered two O1s when they were first announced, and whilst checking my orders on-line noticed that the apparent order date had changed to 30/10/12. I queried this, and was told I it was "internal processing". However, I did not receive a loco. from the first batch, yet others seemed to be able to buy "off-the-shelf". Next, I received an e-mail stating they had tried to charge my card for that rarest of birds, a Hornby B17, but that it had expired, (hardly suprising really),. I called them within minutes of opening to update, having already done so on the website, to be told, "we'll send you one from the next batch, when a card reads invalid we move the model on to the next order".

OK, now I understand if you wait for 48hours, (I'm in Western Australia), and no call, but 8 hours.....??

This contrasts with Rails, who e-mailed to say my Blue Pullman was in stock, did I still want it, and gave me 48 hours to confirm or deny.

I have used Hattons for over 35 years, from Australia, from way back in the days of taking weeks to place an order by mail, and their service has been impeccable. Like you, I have used the pre-order system extensively in the last few years, and Hattons e-service,invoice created, picking list packed etc. is second to none. However, I am a little disquieted by these last three incidents.

To quote Goldfinger: " The first is happenstance, the second coincidence, the third time is enemy action :O :o ". (I jest of course),

Cheers, Peter C.

ps. By way of contrast, "Prince Albert" was packed and posted before he'd hit the website!

• RMweb Premium

I received an e-mail stating they had tried to charge my card for that rarest of birds, a Hornby B17, but that it had expired, (hardly suprising really),. I called them within minutes of opening to update, having already done so on the website, to be told, "we'll send you one from the next batch, when a card reads invalid we move the model on to the next order".

Hi

Hattons did this to me when the Dapol 156 was released and I phoned 10 minutes after they had emailed to be told sorry they've all sold. This also nearly happened again with the release of the Farish A1.

On both occassions it was due to some **** using my card fraudulently.

Rails on the other hand as someone else mentioned phoned me to ask if I still wanted my Blue Pullman as they had tried to process my card details they had, which were out of date.

I know who my future pre orders will be with.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Hattons did this to me with my Bachmann Blue Pullman and I had to wait for the second batch. The really annoying part was that my card was valid and had sufficient credit, but my bank blocked the payment because they thought it was an "unusual transaction". A bit ironic comig from an Irish bank!

Having said that I have used Hattons since the 1970s and this was the only problem. Anyway it was not really their fault - it was my bank's.

Hi, it's not the fact that I didn't get the Thompsons, it's the fact that some people got them by just ordering on the day and receiving them next day. IN NOVEMBER!!!!

What I'm saying is - if there's a pre-order queue since January it should be dealt with before anyone else....

I got all the updates from Hattons over the previous few months and my credit was good.

I would have waited for the second batch but to be dumped and have to find another source at this late stage is annoying.

It's Hattons I'm miffed at not fellow modellers by the way.

Disgusted of Glasgow.

Disgusted of Glasgow.

Understandable.

Sorry Dave.

I was one of those that waited for the first batch to turn up before attempting to order, only to be told 1st batch virtually all gone but you can pre order for our next lot. I did and as you know all arrived ok.

You have good reason to be miffed.

P

Perhaps someone with much greater IT skills than I, (which is a long queue!), should make Hattons aware of these problems?

I say this because in general comments from people, even on this thread, are complimentary about Hattons. However, if there is a problem with their pre-order system, they should be made aware of it, to enable them to look at complaints, and take steps to restore their good name?

Mods, Andy Y., someone?

Cheers,

Peter C.

Perhaps someone with much greater IT skills than I, (which is a long queue!), should make Hattons aware of these problems?

I say this because in general comments from people, even on this thread, are complimentary about Hattons. However, if there is a problem with their pre-order system, they should be made aware of it, to enable them to look at complaints, and take steps to restore their good name?

Mods, Andy Y., someone?

Cheers,

Peter C.

Hi Peter, I have done so and received one answer and then queried that answer and so far had no further communication from Hattons. This was before I posted on this place just to see if any others were so treated.

I'll keep you all informed if there is a reply.

Dave Franks.

• 3 months later...

Hattons seem to have been a little economic with the truth regarding the Peco OO9 L&B wagons. Having ordered the SR set, yesterday I received an email from Hattons saying they had been "cancelled". Luckily I had just been to Hereford Models and bought the wagons there. What Hattons ought to have said is they had not received any stock from Peco - I wonder what the story behind that is? Now there's a cryptic message on the Kernow website to the same effect. Nice wagons, though. Is there a list anywhere of what else Peco are going to produce - I can't find any to pre-order?

• RMweb Premium

I can understand the frustration with Hattons and particularly if the card in question is still in date and has adequate credit / funds available.  If that is not the case I can however understand Hattons, who are dealing with many hundreds of orders, deferring the few for the "good" of the many.

It does often pay to look around when an order is "bumped" and as Kernow suggest the Peco 00-9 items are not in fact cancelled and are in stock with other retailers. 

Hi Second time I have been told item's cancelled and they were not, last one about Peco 009 Wagons ,found out other supplies had them. Have sent email to Hattons asking why they had told me that "PECO HAD CANCELED THE WAGONS" when plainly they had not. I have always respected Hattons on their policy re stock items but the last two incidences now will make me look twice before I preorder from them in future :nono:  PS I have not had a reply to my email

• RMweb Premium

I can understand the frustration with Hattons and particularly if the card in question is still in date and has adequate credit / funds available.  If that is not the case I can however understand Hattons, who are dealing with many hundreds of orders, deferring the few for the "good" of the many.

It does often pay to look around when an order is "bumped" and as Kernow suggest the Peco 00-9 items are not in fact cancelled and are in stock with other retailers. 

Hi

That is all well and good but in my case it wasn't my fault that my card had been used fraudulently and I rang within 10 minutes of receiving the email. They have my phone number and could have done the same as Rails and given me a ring.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Second time I have been told item's cancelled and they were not, last one about Peco 009 Wagons ,found out other supplies had them. Have sent email to Hattons asking why they had told me that "PECO HAD CANCELED THE WAGONS" when plainly they had not. I have always respected Hattons on their policy re stock items but the last two incidences now will make me look twice before I preorder from them in future :nono:  PS I have not had a reply to my email

peco may have stoped making the twin packs as there were using up the boxse left over from the n gauge collet loco so limited Edition twin sets

Hattons may have been late putting in there order so may not have got any sent

& once the boxse arrive for the singles then stock will be avalabe again

• 4 months later...

Also Hattons WON'T pretest locos to make sure they are good runners. I had a Bachmann 2-6-4 standard tank from them in which the pick ups didn't touch the wheel backs. I was told by Hattons that they just wrap and send. I even asked them to test a loco before sending and they refused. So I don't buy locos from Hattons no matter how cheap they are.

A very cheap and nasty retailer in my opinion.

Also Hattons WON'T pretest locos to make sure they are good runners. I had a Bachmann 2-6-4 standard tank from them in which the pick ups didn't touch the wheel backs. I was told by Hattons that they just wrap and send. I even asked them to test a loco before sending and they refused. So I don't buy locos from Hattons no matter how cheap they are.

As a long  term  customer of  Hattons  ( Since the  early 70s)  I consider  the use of the word 'Nasty' to be totally  uncalled  for, 

They  are  a volume  supplier and  as  such do not have the  facility to  test items,  do you go  to   branches  of  Argos, or  Currys or  Tesco  and  ask  them  to  test  items  before  you  buy? I think  not.

If an item is found to be unacceptable to  a buyer  due to a manufacturers  fault they Hattons)  WILL refund cost  and  postage on the items return.

They won't refund overseas postage. What about the first batch of Class 17 'Claytons' from Heljan that were a disaster. That model should have been recalled but Hattons continued to sell the models telling people that Heljan would replace the chassis. It was stated on the online shop.

Perhaps WWW shop be altered to WGBW.

That's your opinion, but far from reality IMO.

When Hattons recently cancelled the remaining Dapol 10001 loco liveries that they never delivered on, they made an international call to me to apologize, and offered to change my order to the equivalent Bachmann offering...

In my experience they are quick to email if there is a potential issue with a card.  They've also refunded international postage for a returned item on the one occasion I needed it.  I've been a good customer and they have certainly returned the favor.  I'm sure mistakes do happen, but they try hard.  

To use the term "nasty", just because they won't pretest, is way out of line.

• RMweb Premium

I concur.

I don't expect that my models will be pre-tested.  The risk of accidental damage while opening the carton and removing the item from its inner packaging, then handling, then replacing it all probably outweighs the potential for a model to arrive damaged such that it cannot be used.

Hattons have only once been asked to take back an order of mine.  A ViTrains loco came out of its box with bogie frames so badly bent and with so many parts broken off that it was only fit for spares.  It went back.  I had the international shipping credited against a future order (not actually repaid) and wasn't asked to pay the shipping cost of the replacement.

The fault for that issue lay somewhere between the factory and delivery to Hattons but the retailer acted in good faith in replacing faulty goods without question.  If they had opened the box first they would have seen the loco was unfit.  Sometimes that isn't apparent until a defective item is run on the track.

Looked at another way are we willing to accept possible damage to our items being caused by shop testing and also - perhaps more importantly - that in order to check and test every piece sold that additional staff will be required in a business the size of Hattons and probably will impact the mail order service of most retailers to some extent meaning their costs rise and price discounts reduce or are lost altogether?

Archived