UP Big Boy to steam again in 2019

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, melmerby said:

What's the arrangement with fuel?

Is the tender full of oil & the following tank the water or is it just extra water to supplement the tender?

The yellow one is just an extra water tender converted from one of the gas turbines fuel tenders. The locos tender carries fuel and water so it can operate on shorter trips without the auxiliary. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, melmerby said:

Being dragged from Colton Yard to Cheyenne or restoration

Note the lead diesel number:

Did you notice that the other diesel in the consist was 4884?

That was no coincidence.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Zomboid said:

Did you notice that the other diesel in the consist was 4884?

That was no coincidence.

Something else I noticed that 4014 (Big Boy) seemed to be using it's hooter.

Presumably compressed air?

EDIT Found out.

Yes it was.

Edited by melmerby

9 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

The yellow one is just an extra water tender converted from one of the gas turbines fuel tenders. The locos tender carries fuel and water so it can operate on shorter trips without the auxiliary. 

Would that have originally been a steam loco tender converted for use with the gas turbines?

Currently watching a YouTube video of the mainline steam trials with 4014.

The recording has only been on since about 04:00  today (UK).

Impressive, as the only one I saw was stuffed and mounted.

Brian R.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Titan said:

Would that have originally been a steam loco tender converted for use with the gas turbines?

Yes some were although I’ve not seen a definitive history and some were basically just the reused chassis from what I’ve read. US forums are full of how many small parts were taken off the Challenger to get 4014 done, which seems common sense when she was due overhaul and is done here too with certain classes. Seems they are using 3985’s tender too at the mo but 4014’s tender in those whistle test videos looks in good condition so I’m assuming that’s had work done on it too. 

There’s a load of conflicting stuff about whether 3985 will run again anytime soon as the US forums really don’t like Ed Dickens. 

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium

Something I have notice with US locos is that no matter what they are and also whether it is displayed anywhere else they have an illuminated number in a window (or 2)

Why is that?

• RMweb Premium

What a fabulous piece of machinery! I knew absolutely nothing about US steam until one of our daughters moved to the US 3 years ago. Have read up a bit and given the completely different operating conditions, the US designs did seem to be about 10 years or so ahead of us. I still maintain though that aesthetically British steam loco's are the most pleasing. 

The video's are much appreciated Woodenhead and others, many thanks.  Must plan my next US trip to include Cheyenne, well done UP too.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Something I have notice with US locos is that no matter what they are and also whether it is displayed anywhere else they have an illuminated number in a window (or 2)

Why is that?

I think it’s because there was a requirement for the train number to be shown on an illuminated board on the lead loco. They often used the loco number as the train number so that’s why sometimes on a double header the piloting loco has a different number on its cab to the one on the number board, which matches the train loco behind. 

I’m not sure if it changed but railroads now have all sorts of letter/ number codes for trains and you only see the numbers on the board which always seems to be the lead loco now. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Daftest comment coming here but it’s just something I want to say.

When I watch the archive footage such such as Last of the giants. It seems so much larger than it does now.

The world around it, the diesel locos, cars, stomachs have gotten so much bigger that it almost doesn’t seem as big.

I know that’s all ridiculous, forgive me for being silly.

Ive been following this with interest since it was announced and moved from the fairground.

fantastic achievement.

6 hours ago, Titan said:

From memory they were converted from FEF/800 class tenders.

Cheers,

Mark.