Great British Locomotives

EddieB

I did mention the other day but I still like the idea of making a class 44 from the latest GBL offering and please correct me if I'm wrong but is the "triangle" vent on the lower body side (Apart from the obvious nose doors) the only major difference. All over green with no warning panels and head code discs it just shouts out modernisation period. scribing doors in that nose looks a fairly simple task. Views and advice please. Steve

The large bodysides grille is longer on 44's, by approx 6mm. Not sure how this can be overcome but if you can live with it, it's not a biggie. I have a Bachmann 44 and will do some pics later to highlight it.

Cheers

Shane

I did mention the other day but I still like the idea of making a class 44 from the latest GBL offering and please correct me if I'm wrong but is the "triangle" vent on the lower body side (Apart from the obvious nose doors) the only major difference. All over green with no warning panels and head code discs it just shouts out modernisation period. scribing doors in that nose looks a fairly simple task. Views and advice please. Steve

44/45 had battery boxes with x shaped strengthening grooves  (like St Andrews cross)  which 46 didn't have.  Triangle plate not fitted on 44 even in late condition. But originally steps in bodyside at I think B end behind cab to climb up to boiler  tank filler. These look like they were later plated over - looks like the boiler filler was as well?  (They are on my 1980 state Bachmann 45).   I stand to be corrected but think those are definite differences.  Would look a good conversion I would think.

Looking at post

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69535-great-british-locomotives/page-168&do=findComment&comment=1733173

the GBL loco has the steps plated over while the mainline one it's compared to still has the steam heat era steps.

Also D9 had a one piece headcode panel at  the no 1 end in 1969, after an accident, which it carried to withdrawal.

Also all 44s were painted blue before TOPs numbering.

Edited by railroadbill

I think if it had free p&p I might accept it for the reasons Alfsboy pointed out above but I bet this soon after it was out you could still get your local newsagent to get one on back order. Still supply and demand I guess

I trawled a few Newsagents on the way home from work this morning, and was told it is easier to order it direct for about £15...? (I didn't realise the Peak was out, and forgot to ask the Missus to look like n Sniffs in town).

But I'm starting to think that for what I want one for and having to pay the thick end of twenty quid, I'd be better looking for a cheap Mainline Peak and would then at least have a rolling chassis.

I used him once on a make an offer  basis and got a t9 for 15 .This suited me as when time ,petrol ,parking and finding out its not in Smiths or any any other  shop is taken in it gets nearer to  break evens and I actually have one in my hand .it may be daft economy but I never go into any major town or city even though I am about 6 miles away .So care with the profiteering  accusation s .i bet you dont sell your house for what you paid for it .

I agree that it is one way of getting hold of a GBL Model, especially if they are not available in your locallity (Any country except UK and Australia is a problem!).

It is the quantity that must have been aquired, possibly depriving some poor soul who has gone shopping?

There is no way that I would compare the mad housing price system to a model railway loco....in my life prices go down as well as up! ;)

Edited by Sarahagain

Aren't they still available at cover price + postage from Amercom?

Someone here has ordered successfully (albeit it took a while). I can't find the details, but it's a phone call and card jobby.

Perhaps whoever has done it could remind us of the details.

• Like 1

I did it twice and after that I'd had enough of the delays & the lack of explanation/information/truth from the droids at the call centre when I repeatedly had to chase my orders.

In the unlikely event of the series including anything of further interest to me, if it isn't in my local shop or available as a swap on here then I'd rather go without!

Someone here has ordered successfully (albeit it took a while). I can't find the details, but it's a phone call and card jobby.

One sucessfull GBL purchaser was me. Judging by GR.King's experiences (and others) I was probably lucky!

I've posted this before but it's in the mists of the earlier parts of this thread so this is my experience.

Ring 0844 472 5237    Mon-Fri 9am-5pm.  It's the help line for all Amercom UK publications. I gave the GBL issue number but also confirmed the title as well. Very pleasant guy on the phone, he did warn me that there was likely to be a 2 week or so delay but in the end the mags turned up I think about 15 days later. They were in good condition. I paid by credit card, no problems, and there was no postage to pay. 

I bought A4, A3, Deltic and Jinty which were ones I wanted from the earlier releases.  Don't know if they are still available, or if later issues still are if they made fewer of them which has been suggested. But worth a go, it's only a phone call.

Someone else also sucessfully bought GBL by writing to them, there was a post about this a while ago.

Address is in the front of the mag but if you don't have one anymore, it's

FREEPOST RSUZ-REJC-YUAH Great British Locomotives

Unit 4

Pullman Business Park

Pullman Way

Ringwood BH24 1HD

That says cover price + 50p per issue.

Good luck!  :-)

• RMweb Premium

GBL isn't something I've paid much attention to, as I'm only really interested in modern image, although I have to say, what some of you have managed to do with the models is excellent modelling.  Wouldn't mind a 'Peak' though, but struggling to find one in Smiths or supermarkets, anyone seen any in South Yorks?!  Its still not really my era, might be tempted to turn it into an Ixion-esque RTC loco though...

GBL isn't something I've paid much attention to, as I'm only really interested in modern image, although I have to say, what some of you have managed to do with the models is excellent modelling.  Wouldn't mind a 'Peak' though, but struggling to find one in Smiths or supermarkets, anyone seen any in South Yorks?!  Its still not really my era, might be tempted to turn it into an Ixion-esque RTC loco though...

There are still at least 3 in the Asda store at Rotherham

Evening Sir! I did order the "Deltic" through the back issue service mentioned in the mag and received it just over two weeks later from date of posting and that was payment by cheque as well  (postage was just 50p)- so miracles can and do happen. Have to say those selling the "Caledonian Single" on E-Bay are obscene imho.

Whatever the ins and outs of the GBL series. It is at least:

* Encouraging modellers to do a bit of "kit bashing" to create something either more detailed or a little different

* Raising the awareness of pre-grouping locomotives

* Providing a reasonably cheap basis to hone ones modelling skills

Some Peaks still in Smiffs Birmingham City Centre today.

(down by the High St tills amongst dozens of Millennium Falcons!)

Keith

The Millennium Falcon is a real bargain - 100 issues at £8.99 each!

I did it twice and after that I'd had enough of the delays & the lack of explanation/information/truth from the droids at the call centre when I repeatedly had to chase my orders.

In the unlikely event of the series including anything of further interest to me, if it isn't in my local shop or available as a swap on here then I'd rather go without!

Which is what I'm doing.  Droids is not a word that I would use to describe them.  Customer Service Trolls is the only one I can put here without a number of ****.

Anyone thinking that Hornby's handling of their Black Friday orders was appalling (which it clearly was) have had it easy when it came to dealing with the dishonesty of the trolls at Amercon.

Class 45 bodyside grille compared with class 44

16207704836_2542451996_c.jpg

S1960002 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

16207705356_4115228112_c.jpg

S1960001 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

Noses compared, bit of a difference!

16232788842_e0b8c97f3e_c.jpg

S1960004 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

cheers

Shane

At a pinch I could most likely live with the grill but is the difference with the noses the fact that there from different sources or are the noses really that different in profile? mind you it doesn't help that they seem to be sitting at different ride heights the GBL one (right) being a lot lower than the 44. What a difference flush glazing makes to a model though. Steve