Great British Locomotives

EddieB

• RMweb Gold

Have I missed a photo of the Peak 'face-on,' as it were? It looks to me like it's been taken from the hideously compromised Mainline epoch, squashed-up nose version.

Yes it's here 'Chard

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69535-great-british-locomotives/?p=1733237

Not good - a devolutionary step. I have one as I have a subscription maybe some spares on it, but too much work for my liking.

Neil

Thanks to emperordalek I got the 45 today in the mail. Very nice but I can see the mistakes that have been mentioned in above posts.

Haven't taken it off its plinth yet as I have less than an hour before I go to work so will wait until tomorrow.

I'm just heading home from picking up a few examples of the C class, and I'm generally impressed!

First impressions are that the lining, while simplified, is very sharply applied, and the loco number plates on the two I have looked at are beautifully rendered - the "South Eastern & Chatham Railway" around the number is clearly legible. Sadly the model's appearance is let down by the boiler bands, which appear to have been applied freehand with a brush and are somewhat blobby.

I'll admit to not knowing much about the details of this class of loco, but to me, it definitely looks like a C.

Hopefully I will be able to post photos shortly.

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 2

Just acquired the only one in Wallington Smith's, and I agree, with the added irritation of solid wheels on the loco, but open spokes on the tender. Pix in a minute.

Should get the subscription copy today as well.

Shane - are you still up for swapsies for the Peak and V2?

• Like 1

Just acquired the only one in Wallington Smith's, and I agree, with the added irritation of solid wheels on the loco, but open spokes on the tender. Pix in a minute.

A closer inspection reveals that the spokes aren't, in fact, solid, but there are rather large springs behind them that give this impression. I've tried to show this in some of the photos below

FsvCVQN.jpg

4sNkuss.jpg

Eho5gv7.jpg

PPoBrsX.jpg

BRoPMmb.jpg

VlDLvg3.jpg

CKigKlY.jpg

Apologies for the quality of the photos, but a phone is all I have to hand. Hopefully they show areas of interest, and give a general impression. Despite appearances in the photos, the lining is red and a bright primrose yellow, but my phone seems to be interpreting it as green.

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 1

Some piccies of the C Class. In general, not too bad, certainly with a decent chassis.

post-17799-0-16678000-1421842638_thumb.jpg

post-17799-0-87632900-1421842656_thumb.jpg

post-17799-0-96004900-1421842676_thumb.jpg

post-17799-0-13059500-1421842701_thumb.jpg

post-17799-0-47250900-1421842719_thumb.jpg

post-17799-0-81086500-1421842745_thumb.jpg

More weird GBL coal...

post-17799-0-83498700-1421842767_thumb.jpg

And the minimal progress made on backdating the T9 - chimney and new tender chassis acquired...

post-17799-0-70576400-1421842816_thumb.jpg

>edit<

Skinny - we've duplicated! Good news about the wheels, though.

Edited by Smiffy2
  • Like 1

Asda had two this morning (one now!). I had to chose between skew lettering on the tender and skew boiler fittings. I chose the latter as she was a slightly darker green and the fittings would be easier to correct.

Can anyone confirm the wheelbase of the prototype?

She will go nicely with my collection of Dublo/Wrenn 'R1's. Now if I can find a cheap Tri-ang 'S' class body...

Reputedly it is possible to make an 'H' from an R1, but one I saw didn't look all that convincing. Not having drawings doesn't help.

(Pity they've faithfully copied the poor representation of the coupling rod joint on the original model.)

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

Just off out to get a couple for you.

Cheers

Shane

I've only looked in Russell, to get the wheelbase, but all versions seem shorter. But there are only a handful of photos. I'll measure it against the drawings later.

I now have them, will post tomorrow

Cheers

Shane

As soon as my parcel arrives! Has anyone received their subs yet?

Is it my imagination or is the chimney too tall?

Hi,

The chimney on the GBL model 'should' be identical to that on the Bachmann version as the scan should not have altered anything and assuming Bachmann got it right.

Havn't got my Bachmann C back from loan at the moment so I cant compare the two side by side but the GBL does look the same as the B going by memory.

Regards.

Comfort yourself with the thought that the Triang chassis motor would also probably not fit for height, and come crashing through the boiler backhead.

As already observed the SECR built its 0-6-0s to the Derby wheelbase dimensions: the most economical bet from RTR for a mechanism likely to fit would be from Bachmann's 3FT 'Jinty'. Small boiler pitched at much the same height as the C class keeps motor top height down, Jinty backhead position keeps rear of motor out of C cab, Derby standard wheelbase, wheels undersize for easier fit (especially into splashers and all that, should there be hefty wall thickness).

Is it my imagination or is the chimney too tall?

Much taller than what's on my BR black 'C' ; but is it possible that the SECR original was taller, and later replaced with something shorter to come within a SR group combined loading gauge? (Genuinely no idea, but this sort of thing was common enough elsewhere following grouping to allow free interoperability.)

• Like 2

At the risk of being smug, the Dremel has come out and a Hornby Jinty chassis has been chopped about a bit, as has the bodyshell. There is enough space for a modern Hornby 0-6-0 chassis to fit, but it will need the rear chopping off (which is time-consuming with hand tools, to say the least!) and you'll end up losing the bottom of the boiler.

The splashers are separate fittings, and can be popped off carefully, which will allow you to file out the wheel slots in the chassis, which are slightly too fine for the Hornby wheels (on the outside face only). If people want to know, I'll try to do a "what I did" to show how to do it. 

I also found that the backhead detail can also be left almost intact, but the cab floor needed to come out to allow the Hornby chassis to protrude slightly. If I had the tools to slice a chunk off the top of the chassis (to lower the body's ride height) even this would not be necessary. However, the copper pick-ups on the Hornby chassis show rather spectacularly where the boiler bottom (a separate part) should be!... (note: It turns out that the splashers mostly hide this, which is helpful! Still needs a spot of black paint though.)

g2yB9f0.jpg

Edit: Yes, I realise I've got the coupling rods on upside-down, I'll have a look into that! 

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 6

Comfort yourself with the thought that the Triang chassis motor would also probably not fit for height, and come crashing through the boiler backhead.

As already observed the SECR built its 0-6-0s to the Derby wheelbase dimensions: the most economical bet from RTR for a mechanism likely to fit would be from Bachmann's 3FT 'Jinty'. Small boiler pitched at much the same height as the C class keeps motor top height down, Jinty backhead position keeps rear of motor out of C cab, Derby standard wheelbase, wheels undersize for easier fit (especially into splashers and all that, should there be hefty wall thickness).

Much taller than what's on my BR black 'C' ; but is it possible that the SECR original was taller, and later replaced with something shorter to come within a SR group combined loading gauge? (Genuinely no idea, but this sort of thing was common enough elsewhere following grouping to allow free interoperability.)

I was thinking of putting the motor in the tender. Provided the two units are coupled properly (no slack), there is no evidence of the tender moving first.

The "C" will take a little more work than the Caley 123 to motorise....so it's in the queue! ;)

592 was the first steam loco I ever got a ride on the footplate of, and I got to put some coal on the fire as well!  Oh the heady days of the 1970s! ;)

On a rather more somber front, with a torrent of new partworks flooding WHS in Chester, there was no sign of any GBL today.

This means that Chester has become somewhat of a GBL "desert" now :(

Guest spet0114

Picked up my C class on the way home from work.

Looks a very nice little model, and no obvious faults in the assembly. That's the third time in recent months that I've been able to say that. Comparing it to the Mallard, which had multiple faults, dare I say that it looks like GBL standards are improving?

Trouble is, it just reinforces my desire for one of the Bachmann models of No. 592.  Maybe when I win the lottery........ :)

I was thinking of putting the motor in the tender. Provided the two units are coupled properly (no slack), there is no evidence of the tender moving first.

Ah, in that case then the loco chassis from the Airfix/GMR origin 4F from Mainline and subsequently Hornby in tender drive form will be bob on. Derby wheelbase, 5'2" wheels. Must be some of those kicking about cheap s/h.

• RMweb Premium

One of mine had a small gap under the smokebox, so apart it came.

post-6821-0-91040000-1421877793_thumb.jpg

The splashers are separate parts, glued on.

While I was at it I took the tender apart as well.

post-6821-0-13614100-1421877811_thumb.jpg

The only obvious error is the extra divider on the tender top. Otherwise a very nice and useful model.

Edited by Nile
  • Like 1