Level crossing stupidity...

Do the OS know about this? If you search for Wickham Green on their web site, you get:

https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/52.28123,1.06783,17

attachicon.gifos_wickham_green.png

About 15 miles north-west of Wickham Market. smile.gif

Martin.

...... not forgetting Wickham Green Farm south of Devizes ............. that poor ol' crow's flying round an' round in circles !

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Never thought I'd see it for myself.

Crossing the Nene Valley at Orton Staunch at about 16:45 yesterday there was a young lady in her early 20's stood in the four foot about 20 or 30 feet the Wansford side of the crossing and another of similar age stood on the crossing taking her picture. I was on my bike, I ended up passing between them and did say how very, very stupid their actions were but I am still aghast at what I saw. Darwin Award nominees are amongst us still.

Never thought I'd see it for myself.

Crossing the Nene Valley at Orton Staunch at about 16:45 yesterday there was a young lady in her early 20's stood in the four foot about 20 or 30 feet the Wansford side of the crossing and another of similar age stood on the crossing taking her picture. I was on my bike, I ended up passing between them and did say how very, very stupid their actions were but I am still aghast at what I saw. Darwin Award nominees are amongst us still.

there has been a very long and detailed thread on one of the photographic modeling sites around this subject glad to say most advice was dont and if you realy do feel the need to shoot on or around a railway line get permision from a heritage line first much safer in the long run .shooting near any live line no matter how disused it looked was discouraged . Edited by peanuts
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Keeping an open mind on the cause but we've had a fatacc at Palgrave level crossing when 1P44 (Liv St. -> Norwich) struck a vehicle around 18:05 - just South of Diss - 1 dead.

Apparently a different train had earlier reported a near miss due to a barriers weaver.

• RMweb Gold

Keeping an open mind on the cause but we've had a fatacc at Palgrave level crossing when 1P44 (Liv St. -> Norwich) struck a vehicle around 18:05 - just South of Diss - 1 dead.

Apparently a different train had earlier reported a near miss due to a barriers weaver.

My son has just arrived home after leaving Norwich on the 18.00 to Liverpool St - which was turned back from Diss to Norwich, he then got back to London via Cambridge.   The Down train which was involved in the collision was apparently just about visible from Diss station although obviously a good distance away;  the collision presumably having occurred at Palgrave AHB?

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

My son has just arrived home after leaving Norwich on the 18.00 to Liverpool St - which was turned back from Diss to Norwich, he then got back to London via Cambridge.   The Down train which was involved in the collision was apparently just about visible from Diss station although obviously a good distance away;  the collision presumably having occurred at Palgrave AHB?

Yes Palgrave, it's visible from the station, 1P44 is currently in Diss station having moved forward about an hour ago.

I hope someone in authority can get the number plate of the white car off the footage and go and throw the book at them. The black SUV went through on yellow and can use the 'unsafe to stop' reason...

I'd agree, but the railway does itself no favours by having quite such a long and predictable delay between the reds starting and the barriers starting to drop. Because it is predictable and the unsupervised by authority, drivers are increasingly taking what are relatively safe chances. It would be better for the barrier drop to start at the same time as the red aspects. The amber is, after all, there as the warning that the stop aspect is about to be displayed.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

I'd agree, but the railway does itself no favours by having quite such a long and predictable delay between the reds starting and the barriers starting to drop. Because it is predictable and the unsupervised by authority, drivers are increasingly taking what are relatively safe chances. It would be better for the barrier drop to start at the same time as the red aspects. The amber is, after all, there as the warning that the stop aspect is about to be displayed.

Jim

You would get through an awful lot of barrier booms - and as I know from personal experience even things like sheer bolts (which theoretically allow the boom to be knocked off and not be damaged) do not always work

• RMweb Gold

I do believe my idea of having the boom spraying whitewash as it comes down would be very effective.

• Like 2

You would get through an awful lot of barrier booms - and as I know from personal experience even things like sheer bolts (which theoretically allow the boom to be knocked off and not be damaged) do not always work

You would, for a while, until it dawns on the average motorist that things have changed.

In the period soon after Croydon Tramlink was opened, collisions between cars and trams at road crossings, which are signalled as conventional highway junctions, we're not uncommon, and it was invariably the motorist that had come through a stop aspect. Then, they settled down and became relatively uncommon events.

There are always going to be two ways of changing the way crossing barrier operation, if that were to be done - in one step, or as a gradual reduction in the delay time. Either way, the ultimate choice is between continuing to allow motorists the window of opportunity, or to suffer a higher incidence of barrier damage for a while. The latter would create more disruption to trains, but then both NR and the train operators would need to make it abundantly clear that delay to trains has been caused by a disobedient motorist. The message would spread that level crossings are not places to take chances.

Jim

• Like 1

I do believe my idea of having the boom spraying whitewash as it comes down would be very effective.

Maybe just a deluge of water* so that anyone driving into the designated area saw this 'solid' wall ahead of them ...................................... hang on, can't do that, it would put the local Romanian car wash guys out of business !

*more environmentally friendly & cheaper

• RMweb Gold

Maybe just a deluge of water* so that anyone driving into the designated area saw this 'solid' wall ahead of them ...................................... hang on, can't do that, it would put the local Romanian car wash guys out of business !

That's just going to be a challenge for some drivers. It needs to leave a recognisable deposit on their precious cars. Traditional agricultural whitewash with slaked lime is caustic and damaging to eyes. But a thin wash of crushed chalk and water is non-toxic and would be easily removable. It wouldn't need to be much, just a few seconds blast as the red lights come on would persuade everyone to stop behind them.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

So make it a wall of muddy water, then.

Where do they get the water from in the first place?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So make it a wall of muddy water, then.

It would work MUCH better on that white convertible on a nice sunny day, with the lid down.

I wonder how long it would take for the first owner, to put in a damage claim?

That's just going to be a challenge for some drivers. It needs to leave a recognisable deposit on their precious cars. Traditional agricultural whitewash with slaked lime is caustic and damaging to eyes. But a thin wash of crushed chalk and water is non-toxic and would be easily removable. It wouldn't need to be much, just a few seconds blast as the red lights come on would persuade everyone to stop behind them.

.... better still, traditional agricultural SLURRY !

• Like 2

Jim

Well the delay is nothing like it was when there was a guy in the cottage to open and close the gates by hand.  No excuse for taking any sort of chance - points on their licence.

post-10122-0-82769900-1538665973_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Well the delay is nothing like it was when there was a guy in the cottage to open and close the gates by hand.  No excuse for taking any sort of chance - points on their licence.

attachicon.gifQ77024a.jpg

That was the age before white van man, when people were more patient and getting the train across the crossing depended on the gatekeeper confirming that the crossing was clear.

Motor vehicle driving standards are not what they were, in part, I suspect, due to the absence of both visible and effective enforcement.

Jim