Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Gold

Unusual situation for me as I was able to visit the crash site.

The train involved was 170204 on 1K77, 12:03, Norwich - Cambridge (13:22)

The only serious injury was to the tractor driver, all on the train were minor or OK - including the driver.

The train to the right, the tractor to the left.

post-6662-0-26889900-1460304032_thumb.jpg

The tractor - the police courdon meant this was the nearest I could get.

post-6662-0-26958900-1460304234_thumb.jpg

The train - I was with the Sky News team at this point

post-6662-0-61925000-1460304280_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-03133400-1460304289_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-92193100-1460304303_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-98103700-1460304312_thumb.jpg

The passengers were taken off onto a train which had come from Thetford, this then reversed working wrong line back to Thetford - roughly 100+ people on the train apparently so lucky to be no serious injuries.

post-6662-0-47833300-1460304334_thumb.jpg

Part of the 170

post-6662-0-81394700-1460304565_thumb.jpg

View back to the collision point from Drove Road crossing (where the 170 stopped)

post-6662-0-73479900-1460304893_thumb.jpg

No comment.

post-6662-0-57693800-1460304930_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-40122800-1460304942_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-57501400-1460304949_thumb.jpg

Some of the vehicles involved - the fire brigade were bailing out as we arrived.

post-6662-0-92731100-1460305021_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

It is a trail site for a new UWC, but the system has a fair few 'issues', therefore its been bagged out of use.

The train stood up well, a bit of t-cut and that'll be a good 'un again....

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Was it (the UWC) in public service when issues were discovered? Just wondering if a local(s) had started using it and then had it taken away again?

Edited by Jonboy

• RMweb Premium

The UWC was open for use, just the new technology part of it was out of use, so as always, cross with care. If in doubt call the controlling signaller first, and always if long, low and slow....

Andy G

Edit: Actually having looked at the photos again, you need to call whenever you are crossing with a vehicle or animals. Even on foot I'd call up....

Be interesting to see if the tractor driver actually called the box....

Edited by uax6

• RMweb Gold

It is a trail site for a new UWC, but the system has a fair few 'issues', therefore its been bagged out of use.

Andy G

Bagging the button might have been a good move.

• RMweb Premium

I thought that looking at your piccy, but I'm guessing the bags aren't big enough.... No doubt the railway will get a slating about the new tech installed but not working....

Andy G

Andy G

It is an EUWC not a UWC, we have a couple on our patch in a simular state. They have to be worked as bog standard Occupation/Accommodation crossings, ie the user has to phone to get permission to cross.

• RMweb Gold

Apparently the train driver has hurt his hand and isn't serious which is good. Let's hope the tractor driver pulls through.

The unit driver stayed in the cab,think I'd have shoved the brake into emergency hit the red button on the GSMR and legged it into the train!

Farm implements have nasty cab piercing bits on them, the unit has taken a battering, just what Anglia needed especially being a three car

Just curious.

Beneath that bag, and I could be wrong, it looks like the indicator has three aspects showing to the road user, STOP, GREEN & CLEAR.

STOP is pretty self explanatory, what's the difference in meaning between GREEN & CLEAR?

Apparently the train driver has hurt his hand and isn't serious which is good. Let's hope the tractor driver pulls through.

The unit driver stayed in the cab,think I'd have shoved the brake into emergency hit the red button on the GSMR and legged it into the train!

Farm implements have nasty cab piercing bits on them, the unit has taken a battering, just what Anglia needed especially being a three car

The reports I have heard is that the train driver shoved the brake onto emergency and baled out of the cab immediately, I certainly wouldn't have stayed in the cab.

• RMweb Premium

been meaning to get round to mentioning this one from friday: http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/travel/latest-travel-news/update-man-killed-by-train-near-peterborough-90-minute-delays-to-all-services-1-7318932

doesn't say whether it was negligence or deliberate, but caused widespread issues well into the afternoon.

The 10.00 KX-aberdeen (train involved i think) was showing as cancelled, don't know if the same train or a replacement eventually went forward 90 mins late, but this should have been into edinburgh at 14.28. because this was running so late, i think everyone heading north got on the 15.00 edinburgh-dundee (my train) as this was the only other option. This train was only a 2-car 158 and was therefore full to bursting leaving edinburgh - gangways/corridor/vestibules all full of folk with luggage etc.

plenty of people moaning about why they didn't just put extra coaches on, i suppose it would have been possible in BR days, but presumably no spare stock available anyway with peak time coming up.

Edited by keefer

The reports I have heard is that the train driver shoved the brake onto emergency and baled out of the cab immediately, I certainly wouldn't have stayed in the cab.

According to Richard Branson the driver stays in the cab to steer the train to a safe stop.

According to Richard Branson the driver stays in the cab to steer the train to a safe stop.

Yes, another one I heard a long time ago concerned a train which had derailed, but the driver managed to keep it upright.

• RMweb Premium

I can't help but wonder why she stopped and tried to reverse, surely both entrance barriers go down together, then both exit barriers (we can only see one side of the crossing in the video) and the exit barrier was still up when she stopped and reversed, if she'd carried on forwards she would have escaped in exactly the way the crossings are designed to allow.

Is that a new type of crossing i spy? 'Push button wait for green light'

It is an EUWC not a UWC, we have a couple on our patch in a simular state. They have to be worked as bog standard Occupation/Accommodation crossings, ie the user has to phone to get permission to cross.

Hi,

It's an EBIgate 200 Enhanced User Worked Crossing (EUWC) installation, just had a look on internet and found this data sheet:

ebigate_200_datasheet.pdf

There's two lights a red and green, the user pushes the button, and if it is safe to cross, the green 'clear' light illuminates, but if there is a train approach, the red light illuminates and an audible warning sounds, with a second audible warning if a second train is approaching. It sounds like the light is only illuminated when the button is pushed.

Simon

Edited by St. Simon