A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Pendennis said:

No Spitfire/Seafire has an undercarriage like that; it is a Seafang, RN version of the Spiteful.

A jet did pretty much did  have the same undercarriage & wings though ;) 

attacker_28.jpg.c44e304fdd5113f77e510485f4638aa0.jpg

As with the Attacker, the Seafang F.32 is a Trumpeter 1/48th Scale Kit.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I know I have commented on it before, but to my untutored eye, that mogul looks spot on, especially, as in this case, in its natural habitat. They are naturally a gloriously balanced design for my money. Top notch Rob.

Alastair

Edited by A Murphy
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, gwrrob said:

GWR mogul 5391 heads east on a class H mixed freight .

DSCN7875.JPG.637af8535251a8dc4b112a85e700ce0f.JPGDSCN7876.JPG.e84a748722d7634c89979037c91a26b2.JPGDSCN7877.JPG.83c9797e7c09c59f12671daf8dd51527.JPGDSCN7878.JPG.aa542479b75847762c20aa5ef33a8c7b.JPGDSCN7879.JPG.c78bc40b697a4ea712c7e37df5223f0f.JPG

Ahhhh. Lowers the blood pressure, that does.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Pendennis said:

No Spitfire/Seafire has an undercarrige like that; it is a Seafang, RN version of the Spiteful.

Yes indeed, Sir . More like a Hurricane’s inward folding gear than the Spitfire’s outward spayed spindly undercarriage .  I’m off to Specsavers  ! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, toboldlygo said:

A jet did pretty much did  have the same undercarriage & wings though ;) 

attacker_28.jpg.c44e304fdd5113f77e510485f4638aa0.jpg

As with the Attacker, the Seafang F.32 is a Trumpeter 1/48th Scale Kit.

Both products of Joe Smith, he didn't have the flair of R J Mitchell: the Attacker, Swift and Scimitar were hardly unqualified successes!  Makes you think that Supermarine had been totally dependent on one gifted designer.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

40 minutes ago, Pendennis said:

Both products of Joe Smith, he didn't have the flair of R J Mitchell: the Attacker, Swift and Scimitar were hardly unqualified successes!  Makes you think that Supermarine had been totally dependent on one gifted designer.

I read somewhere that Vickers bought Supermarine solely because R.J. Mitchell was an employee and therefore an asset .

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 1466 said:

I read somewhere that Vickers bought Supermarine solely because R.J. Mitchell was an employee and therefore an asset .

This is true, he also sent Barnes Wallis scurrying back to Weybridge, when he tried to interfere in Mitchell's design practices. 

Worth noting to that Mitchell did his apprenticeship at Kerr, Stuart & Company.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 28/05/2021 at 15:38, Captain Kernow said:

I'll limit my current opinion to this thread, as I don't want to get hate mail by saying what I really think on the Rapido thread. 

Understandable.

My only suggestion for anyone who thinks Rapido UK could have done better (see comments below for come of the circumstances around this model design) would be to provide them feedback directly - which avoids the potential for problems in posting to a public thread.  If the only feedback they get is the positive echo chamber in the product thread then there will be no opportunity for changing how future products are designed.

Rapido UK can be found at - https://rapidotrains.co.uk/contact-us/

But I confess to being disappointed with the level of detail on the underframe. If these samples are anything like the final product, they are not really an advance on what Bachmann currently produce and if anything, are perhaps a little on the primitive side, as virtually all of the individual components of the brake gear on each side appear to be one moulding.

Based on the Rapido UK newsletter, and a posting by Rapido UK in the item thread, the open wagons have been designed differently than Rapido's previous products with the open wagons being designed in the UK (not China) with the underframe detail:

The underframe however has been VERY cleverly designed by our UK CAD team and required no fancy tooling to be able to produce that level of detail(*)

It appears going forward Rapido UK is splitting its product design between China and the UK.

The Gunpowder Van samples are currently being shipped to Rapido UK, it may be interesting for some to compare them to the open wagons given the Gunpowder Van was designed by Rapido HQ and China.

* - https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/164930-secr-5-and-7-plank-open-wagons/&do=findComment&comment=4457831

Go on, you can hate me now!

No hate, I respect your opinion.  You have far more experience with real wagons (even if not that particular prototype, and are an outstanding modeller.

Edited by mdvle
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

** STOP PRESS ANNOUNCEMENT FOR ALL FOLLOWERS OF THIS THREAD**

Followers of Gilbert's excellent Peterborough North thread recently will have noticed a series of rolling stock mini-polls run by polling team member @BMacdermott

I'm pleased to announce his team which includes the well known author, John Lewis , have agreed for Brian to run a similar thing on here. More info will come in the next few days and when we're ready to start it but I'm hoping it's both popular and well voted for by modellers of all periods. So get your thinking caps on for what you would like to see rtr.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

** STOP PRESS ANNOUNCEMENT FOR ALL FOLLOWERS OF THIS THREAD**

Followers of Gilbert's excellent Peterborough North thread recently will have noticed a series of rolling stock mini-polls run by polling team member @BMacdermott

I'm pleased to announce his team which includes the well known author, John Lewis , have agreed for Brian to run a similar thing on here. More info will come in the next few days and when we're ready to start it but I'm hoping it's both popular and well voted for by modellers of all periods. So get your thinking caps on for what you would like to see rtr.

ancientSiphon.jpg.0322ba171e1c203430113bbd9ea8f074.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Bird series Bulldog - highly likely at some point I reckon.

83xx series Mogul - highly unlikely at any point I reckon.

Pre-57xx pannier tanks - well , Hornby had a go many years ago.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

And there's more...

ancientcentenary.jpg.ba1b9691ed309a3e2902114da9c6cb02.jpg

ancientToplight.jpg.8fa28dfeae608ffbdf0d1b7d5e038bdd.jpg

Outside framed goods vehicles...

AND

What the hell is going on with that guy's hair?

That haircut is a scarecut and no mistake...

He looks like someone who your mum would tell you not to stare at on the bus.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Outside framed goods vehicles...

AND

What the hell is going on with that guy's hair?

That haircut is a scarecut and no mistake...

He looks like someone who your mum would tell you not to stare at on the bus.

I'll let Georgio answer that for himself...

alien-meme.jpg.1176200c528398edc6765c2e81a1285b.jpg

• Funny 3