A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

So, what do we have? The Bishop says it's a diag. AA4 brake van, but St Enodoc says it's a DD4.

What's a poor parishioner supposed to do or think?

It sounds like that would be an ecumenical matter.

I didn't say that it was an AA4 brake van, but that AA4 would be a brake van (not a gas tank wagon).

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Bishop of Welchester said:

A 3d printed model is also available from Wild Boar Models. Incidentally, wouldn't diag. AA4 be a brake van?

They also do a WW2 ramp wagon I was interested in finding more info on. The proprietor took three weeks to answer an original query of mine. I don't suppose any thread followers know what livery they took and any possible number range as I can't find anything about them online.

• RMweb Gold
On 12/11/2019 at 20:51, Brinkly said:

Heljan don't seem to have the best record with steam locomotives do they? It is a shame because, in my experience, their diesel locomotives are excellent. 

Diesel track record (pun deliberate) is patchy in my opinion, certainly the earlier models - intermittent performance due to poor (cogging) motors and horrible coppery-bronze type wheels that seemed to get dirty quickly.

That said, my 05 is on of the best running RTR locos straight out of the box that I've got.

If that's how your 47XX came to you, Robin, it's an utter disgrace and I would be considering legal action by now, if the supplier hadn't immediately replaced it for a perfect and properly built example.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, gwrrob said:

They also do a WW2 ramp wagon I was interested in finding more info on.  I don't suppose any thread followers know what livery they took and any possible number range as I can't find anything about them online.

The ramp wagons were WD property I believe and would therefore have been the same livery as the WARFATs and WARWELLs - a gungy green colour would not be wrong.

They would definitely have some sort of  registration/serial number - everything has a number in the Ministry.         

How many Sgt Majors does it take to change a light bulb:      One.    Two, three,     one...................

As for photos - more likely to come from the military history circles than railway circles - if lads with box brownies only took pictures of engines, I can't see them bursting with enthusiasm for ramp wagons.  However there will somewhere have been some sort of instruction manual for the ramp wagon and that's your best source for a clear clean photo.

EDIT - what about books/websites on Longmoor, Marchwood or Bicester military railways?

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, colin penfold said:

Record mirror for me, the pictures of Debbie Harry and Paula Yates were a lot better :P

Paula Yates stopped me being beaten up.

Back in the days of the mod revival I was outside the Music Machine in Camden, I was chatting to Tony the guitarist from Security Risk. Sir bob the untalented, Paula Yates and Sting were standing near by, Sting was wearing his mod suit from the film Quadraphenia. A group of lads I knew from the mod clubs and gigs around London left the Music Machine and said "Good night" to me. In my half drunk state I turned around to Sting and said , "I'm the Ace Face". With that gobshite Geldolf muttered something to me, well being a squaddie I told him to go home using some of the not PC names we had for the inhabitants of Ireland. That seemed to upset him and thankfully Paula stopped him hitting me..................It would have been a much better story had he clumped me one, just he was bigger than me and it might have hurt.  

Another time when I roadieing for my mate's band at the Music Machine, Security Risk were one of the support bands. Garry Bushell, who had the desk opposite of my mate Barry at Sounds, was trying to chat up Jan. She was having nothing of it and started to talk to me, turning her back on him a few times. His review of the gig included a long paragraph about me, he wasn't very complimentary.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 18/11/2019 at 14:55, Bishop of Welchester said:

I didn't say that it was an AA4 brake van, but that AA4 would be a brake van (not a gas tank wagon).

I apologies for misunderstanding your Grace, the suptlety of the phrasing was something I'm not used to in this part of Wiltshire. :mda:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

5 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

I've finished the Cromwell and it should be at least of interest to @Trains&armour - as a source close to him has informed me of his Cromwell 'troubles' ;) 

cromwell_30.jpg.f75a561e85d2b81c2453598a7b4d81b5.jpg

cromwell_34.jpg.a80b68ac62708c61cdddbe670188f98a.jpg

Oh and there's a blog entry up ;) 

Yes, thanks...
We will mention no names:

Ok, ok mine is currently  in bits:

1289414167_BachmannCromwellfase1b.jpg.8186bba058385279f146c333c225d5d1.jpgBut that's just because I felt there was room for improvement.
Like the roadwheels. They should be double:

606002416_Cromwellroadwheels.jpg.c3551a85c8548f7b6d17ae7744ef0af9.jpg

It should have headlights, headlight guards and tow shackles:

20191118_124940.jpg.8cf80cfa3fd7bc5dba46a1a1587fafd0.jpg

and a turret ring, hinges for the diagonally folding drivers hatch (a very late feature, btw), and so on. To be continued...

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, colin penfold said:

Paul is on here as HMRS Paul and his site is my go-to for any wagon-related research

Yes I know, those ramp wagons in your link appear to be way too late for my period on closer inspection.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

They are the right wagons just later photos.

To quote the site "During and since WW2 the War Department has used Warflat and Warwell wagons to carry tanks and other armoured vehicles etc. Although they can be loaded from end loading banks there were 75 flat wagons which had removable wheelsets/axleguards and buffers which could hinge out of the way. They then lowered the end and used them as a loading ramp. The photographs give the idea. There was no identification at all on the one seen at Newcastle - although clearly not in internal use! They were built 1941 - 2 "

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, colin penfold said:

They are the right wagons just later photos.

To quote the site "During and since WW2 the War Department has used Warflat and Warwell wagons to carry tanks and other armoured vehicles etc. Although they can be loaded from end loading banks there were 75 flat wagons which had removable wheelsets/axleguards and buffers which could hinge out of the way. They then lowered the end and used them as a loading ramp. The photographs give the idea. There was no identification at all on the one seen at Newcastle - although clearly not in internal use! They were built 1941 - 2 "

I saw them doing exactly that at the last Longmoor Open Day on 5/7/69. No photos I'm afraid as I saved my precious Instamatic film for steam trains.

11 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I saw them doing exactly that at the last Longmoor Open Day on 5/7/69. No photos I'm afraid as I saved my precious Instamatic film for steam trains.

I was there the very same day as you and witnessed the same - and like you I didn't take photos but saved them for the locomotives.  Watching a tank driving on to a road transporter was impressive as well!

Gerry

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Bulwell Hall said:

Watching a tank driving on to a road transporter was impressive as well!

Gerry

A mighty Antar:  still in service in the 80s! 

Happy days: trying to get up and down the gearbox without knocking too many teeth off the cogs.......and the Polish/MSO drivers in Germany..........and too much vodka........

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 45568 said:

Rob,

Something all those Fleet Air Arm chaps down your way might need a supply of?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GWR-AERO-Wagon-for-carrying-Propellers/303370936863?hash=item46a251221f:g:VSYAAOSw93xd1Mv8

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

That works out at nearly 33 sheets Peter, I think I'll wait for Rail's to do one.:jester:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, M.I.B said:

A mighty Antar:  still in service in the 80s! 

Happy days: trying to get up and down the gearbox without knocking too many teeth off the cogs.......and the Polish/MSO drivers in Germany..........and too much vodka........

It was the look on our Recovery Mechs face when he saw the Chieftain that was half on and half off the Antar's trailer where the tank driver had driven the thing off the side of the Antar. The Antar had a pronounced list to it, the tyres on the opposite side were not in contact with the ground. At 17 (Port and Maritime) Field Workshops we only had a Bedord RL recovery truck. It was all sorted out by using a couple of the RCT regiments Coles Cranes, it took all day.

• Informative/Useful 2

More Cromwell fun. 
Changes made, model reassembled, and given a basic coat of olive drab:

Commander_01.jpg.4141040ee61b9715d2f7af5c8628343a.jpgCommander_02.jpg.54428a920bb9279fc0bc3a49854b9b9e.jpg

Somewhat better, I think.

Compare:

1746631165_Comparefront-top_02.jpg.7f05fb3f6bcf28c6ab4654c9c986317c.jpg247973240_Comparefront-top_01.jpg.6f6448307e6e70777258125191b3a059.jpg753869671_Comparerear_02.jpg.804372f7f911ecf729020efa916ee6ed.jpg860070377_Comparerear_01.jpg.07d73441433a66cdbb8542e658cc758f.jpg815734104_Compareleft_02.jpg.d848e8727989fdb15f2742ea1d444658.jpg1698731639_Compareleft_01.jpg.8694fe1d83c0b06eb6afb1ec8185cb82.jpg1640918831_Comparebottom.jpg.02c025c46b5fe705391f01c8db265f16.jpg756087885_Comparetop.jpg.ece3c3a0d3db2f7dec7ad9b91139a6b4.jpg

After this some decals,some extra detailing (stowage, tools, maybe a towrope) and weathering.

Edited by Trains&armour
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2