A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, brianusa said:

Did the later Panniers actually have copper cap chimneys?  Getting too far back for me to recall!

Brian.

If they did, but the time 94XXs were in service, cleaning to that level was restricted to express engines.

These were mainly , in GW days, Paddington area workhorses.  There might have been copper underneath but not seen for long............

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, M.I.B said:

If they did, but the time 94XXs were in service, cleaning to that level was restricted to express engines.

These were mainly , in GW days, Paddington area workhorses.  There might have been copper underneath but not seen for long............

one made it to Newton in 1949, so I am planning to stretch the truth and have one in the area under test, purely because I have always loved the class.   I have a Lima one that was going to get a High Level chassis (it may still get one).  That said the Bachmann one looks fantastic and will be mighty tempting in a years time when the price falls.  I’m expecting the GWR version to be the worst seller given its lack of time frame.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

94XX in green suits my time frame and location.  I also have a whitemetal kit one which is about to get a recent DCC pannier chassis etc under it.

But you are right on the numbers an allocation - it's not a long list for the green version.  Only marginally longer than the 97XX class history and allocations.........

So well done for them to make it in green, especially considering that the green one differed from the black one in more than just the smokebox number.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

one made it to Newton in 1949, so I am planning to stretch the truth and have one in the area under test, purely because I have always loved the class.   I have a Lima one that was going to get a High Level chassis (it may still get one).  That said the Bachmann one looks fantastic and will be mighty tempting in a years time when the price falls.  I’m expecting the GWR version to be the worst seller given its lack of time frame.

If it's 9440 you're on about there's a delightful photo of her on the Ivybridge goods in the Pannier Paper.;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

There were a few in Cornwall, which at one time or another must have made their way from Swindon and back...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

There were a few in Cornwall, which at one time or another must have made their way from Swindon and back...

In addition to 9440 mentioned above at Newton, Three here at Truro

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p30480076/h6FBBA163#h6fbba163

And another at Exeter

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p30480076/h6FBBA163#hc3e42009

My Grandfather hated the 94XX with a passion. Towards the end of his driving career, after years driving the big stuff on top link, he was restricted to lower link duties due to cataracts on his eyes (can you imagine that being allowed today?). He often got the 'new' 94xx which had a screw reverser. Not good for shunting. Knowing this was a common feeling around the system, some sheds took the lever reverser off old Dean era panniers that had been withdrawn and fitted them to the 94XX. (I noted the owner of 9466, in 1985, did the same). With the constantly changing stock of locos coming out of the works, if it was a shunting duty, tasked with a 94XX, he would check out which engines had the lever reverser and ask the shed foreman to change the loco on his shift.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Gold

Honours even in the ANTB FA cup derby this afternoon between @BenL and myself.;) Of course his generosity before the game in giving me a Hornby clerestory brake shouldn't go unmentioned too.:imsohappy:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Ooh! A Mark Two TwinCam Cortina ! Delish! I'm sorry, but I'd rather own that than the rest put together. Hooligan. 

That's OK Ian, I'll take the MG next to it. By the way, is the Cortina a genuine Lotus or just pretending with the paint scheme? Pity about the black van (is that yours CK?).

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ashley Bridge said:

I had a red two door GT from new, not so popular as the four door 1600E with Rostyle Wheels. Mine had 51/2 inch steels like the Lotus.

Not so quick but less oil leaks.

Rich

I once owned a 1973 Triumph Dolomite Sprint

It was my first car at 17, the car was a little older than me but in better condition :lol:

Although if there was no oil under it, there was no oil in it :o

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

I once owned a 1973 Triumph Dolomite Sprint

It was my first car at 17, the car was a little older than me but in better condition :lol:

Although if there was no oil under it, there was no oil in it :o

Did it have a mechanic in the boot - they were equipped with them as standard :jester:

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

Did it have a mechanic in the boot - they were equipped with them as standard :jester:

No but it did have one careful owner! the other seven didn’t give a sh...

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, bgman said:

Which one will Father Christmas be driving through Brent ?

Rude Olf

Always happy to take requests on where to stick my headboard.:read:

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2