A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

I'll just pop this here, as you all seem rather enamoured of GWR locomotive engines...

attachicon.gifupload_2018-9-19_10-57-48.png

Looks good, doesn't it? 

Image appropriated from the National Preservation website, as I don't do facebook any more

I went the wrong day. They had put it back in its' box when I visited.

post-9992-0-19134300-1538678820_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 7

Saintly!!! (someone had to say it), I would have preferred it with the curved drop ends, but it's a Saint and it is good to see.

Glenn with his 'Churchward Appreciation Society' hat on

I would agree as the curved drop ends look better especially with the bigger tenders but as it could be run as a 4-4-2, this might be more appropriate and it is different! :declare:

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Oh my, what a beast, Lady or no Lady. Now does anyone think one of the major manufacturers might bestir themselves to produce a Saint? No thought not.

Alastair M

Edited by A Murphy

Oh my, what a beast, Lady or no Lady. Now does anyone think one of the major manufacturers might bestir themselves to produce a Saint? No thought not.

Alastair M

Not that I need any more, it can only be a matter of time before Hornby does something. The drive is the same as a Star/Castle,Cylinders from the Hall, tender from Grange/Hall/Star/4073 etc, No 1 boiler tooling master for the boiler from Hall/Star. Most of the parts are there already. Now I think of it, that is how I made my first Saint back in the 80's.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Mike, I think your logic is impeccable. It would sell too, especially if they didn't mould a shelving unit to the side of the cab like they did with the Star. Which is why I am now practising my soldering on a SE Finecast Saint, because I don't think they will do it.

Does anybody know of any good commission builders?

AlastairM

Edited by A Murphy

Mike, I think your logic is impeccable. It would sell too, especially if they didn't mould a shelving unit to the side of the cab like they did with the Star. Which is why I am now practising my soldering on a SE Finecast Saint, because I don't think they will do it.

Does anybody know of any good commission builders?

AlastairM

You could have a go yourself. Epoxy works just as well. It is one of the more straight forward kits. I build mine on a Triang Hall/B12 chassis from eBay (often for under £20). Markits make special Romford Axles to fit the Triang block so you can fit Romford/Markits 26mm wheels. You can glue it together. I now do not use the Wills/SEF cylinders but use Hornby spare from the Railroad Hall X6640 or X6641. Unfortunately Peter's spares has sold out at present but you ,may get them elsewhere. They are a direct fit, come with assembled nickel crossheads and connecting rod and, being plastic, there is no short circuit issues.

post-9992-0-65806800-1538687536_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-77679000-1538687552_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

ivor_engine.jpg

Not so very long ago, in the top left-hand corner of Wales, there was a railway. It wasn’t a very long railway, or a very important railway, but it was called the Merioneth and Llantisilly Rail Traction Company Limited, and it was all there was. And in a shed, in a siding at the end of the railway, lived the locomotive of the Merioneth and Llantisilly Rail Traction Company Limited, which was a long name for a little engine, so his friends just called him Ivor.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Great shot Robin

I have “Coronation” for my half completed brewery .....its a delightful model. Superb runner. If yours is anything like mine I imagine you must be delighted. I am thinking very hard about getting the GWR version......this shot and more to come will probably tip the balance

Best wishes

John

• RMweb Gold

. If yours is anything like mine I imagine you must be delighted. I am thinking very hard about getting the GWR version......this shot and more to come will probably tip the balance

It's on loan from Holland. :locomotive:

• RMweb Gold

You could have a go yourself. Epoxy works just as well. It is one of the more straight forward kits. I build mine on a Triang Hall/B12 chassis from eBay (often for under £20). Markits make special Romford Axles to fit the Triang block so you can fit Romford/Markits 26mm wheels. You can glue it together. I now do not use the Wills/SEF cylinders but use Hornby spare from the Railroad Hall X6640 or X6641.]

Mike Wiltshire

I'm doing exactly this Mike. I have the Hall cylinders from Peter's Spares, but I was saving them for a pretty wrecked Star I bought on e-bay. The other thing is, I have an old Perseverance straight frame Saint kit which I want to build or have built into the work of art that the 29xxs were, so I am now practicing on the SEF Saint (Comet Hall underframe). I had been talking to Chris Phillips, but he's retiring, so the bit about anybody know a good builder was a serious enquiry.

Sorry for the hi-jack Rob, I'll pm Mike

Alastair M

PS Lovely job on the Saint Mike.....

Edited by A Murphy

• RMweb Gold

I had been talking to Chris Phillips, but he's retiring, so the bit about anybody know a good builder was a serious enquiry.

No problem Alistair, he was the person I was going to recommend, I didn't know he was retiring.

Nice photoshoot Robin, thanks!

Goods yard etc tomorrow. ;)

• Like 1