A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

East is East and West is West, and never the trains shall meet.

Yes but no but yes but no but until WW2 the G*R ran trains to Liverpool Street, right under the Great Eastern Hotel.

Sorry for those who do not know I have a self censoring keyboard, see if I type GER, GNR or even GCR no problem but G*R.

• RMweb Premium

Crossrail?

(sorry - the time difference meant that I didn't see the former post)

Great minds etc...........

Edited by M.I.B

• RMweb Gold

Except at Banbury, where all the brakes had to be released manually so that the poor things could get the train moving again!

Paul.

All you smarty's may laugh but as one who spent many hours in 'the lane' at North Road, these Bulleids made it for me when I was a young spotter!  We were spoiled by all the brass endowed GW stuff to the point of being common.  "Just another Castle", was the usual cry  as we went back to our line filled ABC's.  But when something arrived from the West end on Platform 7, all green and streamlined, it was worth a second look as it might have been something new that had escaped 72A.  But sadly it was not to be although it did happen now and again so we all watched as it slipped on its way towards Friary -  awaiting just another Grange!

Brian.

Edited by brianusa
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Yes but no but yes but no but until WW2 the G*R ran trains to Liverpool Street, right under the Great Eastern Hotel.

Sorry for those who do not know I have a self censoring keyboard, see if I type GER, GNR or even GCR no problem but G*R.

That's a lot of mention of things Eastern. I'm not feeling very well now. I need to sit down and await the commencement of the Great British Model Railway Bake-off Ballast Throw-Down Challenge.

They did and there's photo's to prove it ;)

Shame on you Glenn, you've worked on many loco's with inside cylinders :P

Have I? ... it all seems so long ago now ...

By the way chaps one has a Spam-type thingy on a well known auction site at the mo: 34002, yet another renamed 'Wilton' proving popular; they always did well for me.

• RMweb Gold

By the way chaps one has a Spam-type thingy on a well known auction site at the mo: 34002, yet another renamed 'Wilton' proving popular; they always did well for me.

Good to see you getting back in to the swing Glenn and you can say that again. Nearly 250 sheets at the moment. :O

That front thing needed a 'banker'; poor old s#d.

P

Nearly right, the 'front thing' has been sent to rescue the funny

shaped thing behind it, 'cos it's spat all it's oil over the track and

can't move without spinning it's wheels! :rtfm:

Remember, 1 of mine could pull 2 of them backwards!

Have I? ... it all seems so long ago now ...

Does it come with a free bottle of nurv agent ? :))

V.Puttinn

• RMweb Gold

Very nice,

It’s a coach that I have been trying to find at a decent price for a while, without success, certainly makes a nice addition to a parcles rake.

I have managed to get a Gresley BCK to use as the Sheffield Penzance portion of a service through Brent. Even if I can’t prove the service had been reintroduced in 47 (it had by 49)

• RMweb Gold

Very nice,

It’s a coach that I have been trying to find at a decent price for a while, 

It's due next month and is around £45. Be interesting to see the teak finish.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/337805/Hornby_R4830_Gresley_61_6_full_brake_4234_in_LNER_teak/StockDetail.aspx

• RMweb Gold

I've been after a Hornby LNER full brake for my parcels train for a while and it's due to be re-released soon. However we don't know how the teak finish will turn out on them so I acquired an old one via ebay and here it is well weathered ready to join the roster.

attachicon.gifDSCN4414 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN4415 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN4416 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN4417 (2).JPG

And you guy's wondered why a B12 was on spotted en-route to Brent - this was part of what she hauled ;)

• RMweb Premium

And you guy's wondered why a B12 was on spotted en-route to Brent - this was part of what she hauled ;)

I doubt a dear old B12 would have got further than the midlands. This van could well have been used for bringing pigeons down from the north east and the WR loco would have come on at Brizzle, taking over from a Black 5 or possibly one of Barrow Road's Patriots?

Ar$£