A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Beautiful loco which portrays immense power and grace.

Funny, but I was looking at your recent group of pictures of this loco and it brought back memories of my youth.

In the early, to mid 60's when we lived in Little Chalfont the main Metropolitan Line ran close to where we lived and very often after school or weekends we would go down to what we called 'the woods' and stand on the overbridge.

My vivid recollections would be one of those loco's (normally black) pulling 4 or 6 crimson coaches hurtling along the line belching white smoke heading to Chorleywood and beyond (and the other way of course to Amersham).

We would wave and the crew in many instances would wave back and I am convinced the driver would open a vent/valve so more smoke/cinders than normal would engulf us....

The power of memories and to think we took steam locos for granted then and now most of us would wish they would return!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, KNP said:

Hope you put it to one side and saved it for another coach!

ISTR back a couple of decades BMW had developed a technique for removing all the paint from a car and re-using it. Whether this ever became cost-effective I have no idea, but evidently it can be done!

• RMweb Gold

Living adjacent to the railway in Surrey in the late ‘50s the sight of an occasional steam train was an exciting change from the green EMUs Here’s one I snapped- a U class and a Hawksworth coach which was a rare sight in Cheam!

39A1C018-C305-44FA-AEBD-136014596A02.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Living adjacent to the railway in Surrey in the late ‘50s the sight of an occasional steam train was an exciting change from the green EMUs Here’s one I snapped- a U class and a Hawksworth coach which was a rare sight in Cheam!

In the heady days when Cheam had two through roads!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Robin, 

I am not too sure Mr Riddles would have approved one of his locos in Great western Region livery. He did like his LNWR lined black, and how smart Halls, Granges and Manors looked in it too.  :tomato::tomato::tomato:

Clive, sometimes I think you say these things just to get me going:devil:

Brian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

82006 has proven to be popular so I've set her to work the branch as well.;) Three of this class are known to have worked to Kingsbridge in the 50s but as I don't have a B set in the correct livery, the Collett suburban's in crimson have to stand in.

1838818575_DSCN5162(2).JPG.89cafab18ba8d3c60bfeac987045ae0e.JPG198717067_DSCN5163(2).JPG.a25eb9e121ec56246c3d6528ab0b05b7.JPG1653304418_DSCN5164(2).JPG.ab74e2778e0abfef9d20cc262b7dd0a7.JPG1727543746_DSCN5165(2).JPG.e28f196d6fede97fdbf5824667ee01ff.JPG91412392_DSCN5166(2).JPG.3d51588d06dd87103fd13f0fde3b3fbe.JPG

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Its also good to see some of your older locos getting a makeover, how do they run?

Thanks Paul, anyone in particular.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 31/03/2019 at 10:15, Limpley Stoker said:

I think your U is actually an N; the round spectacle windows above the firebox are the clue.

Just like GW 4-6-0s, Maunsell Moguls all look the same!

Glenn

Edited by mattingleycustom
additional text
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Thanks Paul, anyone in particular.

Hi Robin,

I also have elderly Mainline Pannier and Manor, also a Replica Modified Hall which I am thinking about getting chipped. The two tender locos might get sound, but I think the pannier inside is too tight for sound.

Best regards

Paul 

1 hour ago, mattingleycustom said:

I think your U is actually an N; the round spectacle windows above the firebox are the clue.

Just like GW 4-6-0s, Maunsell Moguls all look the same!

Glenn

Glenn, are you trying to be provocative?

Lets just say you have to look at the body as well as the wheels to distinguish between classes of all steam locomotives whatever their originating company!

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Hi Robin,

I also have elderly Mainline Pannier and Manor, also a Replica Modified Hall which I am thinking about getting chipped. The two tender locos might get sound, but I think the pannier inside is too tight for sound.

Best regards

Paul 

The Pannier and the Manor aren't Robin's, but another ANTB follower's ;)

There's not much cab floor to speak (apart from the shelf that sits behind the doors), but the rear cab detail is a removable cast lump of Mazak.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1