A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Umm, double filler tender?

The donor model from Hornby is Knight of St Patrick so didn't Stars run with this tender type then ?

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

The donor model from Hornby is Knight of St Patrick so didn't Stars run with this tender type then ?

I think they did, but I thought they had all been singled by your era (I may be wrong). There was a discussion about this in the Hornby Star and/or Hornby Castle thread, but I can't find it.

edit: Some of the discussion starts here

there is also extensive and very confusing discussion of the twin-filler tenders (lot A113) in the tender options thread

Edited by Miss Prism
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Long time followers of this thread may remember my builds of the Slimrail's kit for the NE pigeon van. It appears they are calling it a day on the range.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/146457-slimrails-part-of-finelines-to-close/&tab=comments#comment-3631365

Also read this morning that Ian Allan is shutting it's Birmingham store in October. Although I never bought a great deal from there it will be a sad miss on our shopping visits to Brum.

If you have a good local model shop I'd cherish it as you're lucky and in the minority now.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

My steed for the day.  Am slightly disappointed not to have 7029...

3A651FF2-F418-4644-AC50-BBA9E1A895B7.jpeg

When you get to Stratford,think about where the line progresses fiurther south....and where it used to go......or perhaps more appropriately,the heritage line which now occupies the same tracks.ANTB  last October?

You are on the route of The Cornishman.There should be a Stafford Road Castle at the front end.Once upon a time. Enjoy your day.No time to visit the RSC today though.....Makes me reflect that the last time I used that line was 1957 and it was a Tyseley Modified Hall on a Cardiff to Snow Hill working which stopped at all stations between Stratford and Snow Hill.....including the oddly named Wootten Wawen which I now drive under when we have an RSC visit.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

When you get to Stratford,think about where the line progresses fiurther south....and where it used to go......or perhaps more appropriately,the heritage line which now occupies the same tracks.ANTB  last October?

You are on the route of The Cornishman.There should be a Stafford Road Castle at the front end.Once upon a time. Enjoy your day.No time to visit the RSC today though.....Makes me reflect that the last time I used that line was 1957 and it was a Tyseley Modified Hall on a Cardiff to Snow Hill working which stopped at all stations between Stratford and Snow Hill.....including the oddly named Wootten Wawen which I now drive under when we have an RSC visit.

Yes - of course! Some lovely little stations and a nice ride. Tender first so relatively slow but patched for 60mph via Hatton Junction back to Birmingham.  Apparently Bahamas needed to be in steam tomorrow anyway for a move north hence they’ve used her today instead of Clun.  

We’ve been to Shakespeare’s house this am - Edward now reading his new beginner’s Shakspeare book... 

david 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

11 hours ago, Clearwater said:

My steed for the day.  Am slightly disappointed not to have 7029...

3A651FF2-F418-4644-AC50-BBA9E1A895B7.jpeg

I am driving around Poland. On my way to the working shed at Wolsztyn, I stumbled across a narrow gauge set up with an 0 10 0 tank. I wonder if it would look good in green with a copper capped chimney?

Mike WiltshireIMG_20190803_112708.jpg.f82d96bb3ad010c5a82c5d63dfb99ffc.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

29 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

I am driving around Poland. On my way to the working shed at Wolsztyn, I stumbled across a narrow gauge set up with an 0 10 0 tank. I wonder if it would look good in green with a copper capped chimney?

I think most things look better in green with copper capped chimneys.  I had to console Edward that at least Stanier had started his career under Churchward at Swindon so his designs are on the ok end of the spectrum!

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

Meanwhile at the TRW, I'm hip deep in coaches - Again!

Very nice too, I wish they were mine. Wartime brown is the new black.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

The late, great Peter Gray photos have been acquired by The Transport Library and I was very taken by the van in this photo. Any idea what it is please ?

https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=130957&search=brent+gray

Hi Rob

Beaten halfway through writting.

It is a Southern Railway Parcels and Miscellaneous Van diagram 3103. It has even planking so could be pre-war or the 1942 batch the photo In Colin's link shows.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

Say hello to Wolsztyn from me. You will enjoy the shed, especially the smell. They used to have rooms to rent in the old Shed Dormitory block.

P

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1