A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

24 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Report (today).

Quiet morning at Kernow Towers.

Short walk around the immediate district taken this afternoon. Keen and cold wind blowing, north by east a quarter east. Returned to Kernow Towers for another herbal tea.

End of report.

Here on the edge(?) of civilization on the edge of an urban part of Bedfordshire, wind is also keen!  

There are, in my opinion too many cars on the road, but in my hour long walk this morning, there were few walkers about. Many dog walkers, folks returning with food shopping, there were also a few cyclists. Only had to cross the road twice to avoid others.

Looked from a distance at queue systemsat local Morrisons and small Tesco. Both had people in a queue with good (2m) spacing.

This afternoon have posted a couple of versions of Fishy questions regarding the WR in 1960/2 on RM Web, and now catching up on other threads (such as here!)

Have also fixed up a tray to allow some modelling in comfort, will hope to post a pic tomorrow.

Take care

Cheers

Paul    

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Seriously?

Yes, I was able to get everything that we needed from our shopping list and it was pleasing to see that the supermarket had been getting a grip on panic buying and ensuring dedicated shopping hours for NHS workers and the vulnerable groups.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, KNP said:

Totally agree Rob.

My set of figures arrived a short while ago and the loco lamps are some of the best I have seen.

You can see those lamps? They are lovely, but both my eyes and my fingers struggle with them.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

1 minute ago, great northern said:

You can see those lamps? They are lovely, but both my eyes and my fingers struggle with them.

Agree but I use some wide flat sided tweezers to fit them.....plus some 2x mag lens clipped onto my reading glasses!!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Report.

Not much to report today.

Managed to have a Zoom conversation with family members.

CTMK and I went for a short walk around local roads in the village in the cold wind. Didn't see anything of note and came back pretty quickly for a herbal tea.

Than managed to roll the lower boiler half for the 74XX chassis and cut some extraneous plastic out from the area under the pannier tanks.

Did some washing up.

End of report.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, gwrrob said:

A few more for you of County class 1022 County of Northampton carrying on with the cross country to Penzance.

32755243_DSCN4643(2).JPG.9dd534734d7d79d45c689829d2ec1755.JPG828903004_DSCN4650(2).JPG.52e75c3faebf02882a1dadb7db59525b.JPG308570232_DSCN4653(2).JPG.8edd02f5378e4793cfc94104f4d9cb03.JPG610883330_DSCN4656(3).JPG.a334a012fae7a3a315dfe42242326c0e.JPG

Has that train actually got more than two coaches?????

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

Presumably that County is a Hornby version,Robin ? If so,it scrubs up surprisingly well.If only some kind model railway manufacturer would produce an all new model....one which ,in double chiimney version ( pause here for mouth wash)  I remember from an August day in 1959 pulled my train from Liskeard to North Road.It was a summer Saturday Falmouth to Paddington train well loaded.On that day Counties seemed to be in command of many of the heavier trains into and out of Cornwall.IIRC,she worked through at least to Newton Abbot.....a day when the hydraulics were in short supply and the 22’s went in pairs....The Saturday westbound Riviera though was a Warship .

Cold wind here yesterday too at the less scenic end of the A38. My constitutional Boris walk across the road and down to the farm ,solo without wife who was busy preparing a Jamie Oliver inspired vegetable soup,was bliss.It was interrupted by the panting thudding strides of a family of three joggers who slowly but relentlessly overtook me without a word of  greeting.They were less than 2 metres apart....
Here it is the quietest Monday morning ever...and we are planning how to avoid supermarkets if possible.Attempting any online delivery “slots” was a useful if fruitless exercise and queues of trolley pushers around the block trying to gain admission to Tesco and M&S was depressing.So a snug little farm shop provided fresh fruit &veg.instead.No queue,stress free.This week a revisit to another farm shop nearby.We shall see....Take care Robin and all on ANTB

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Has that train actually got more than two coaches?????

Of course but no one's interested in seeing a rake of pink coaches are they.;)

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Presumably that County is a Hornby version,Robin ? If so,it scrubs up surprisingly well.If only some kind model railway manufacturer would produce an all new model....one which ,in double chiimney version ( pause here for mouth wash)  

Yes and on loan from @46444 of this parish.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Report.

CTMK and I again walked into the village for our daily perambulation.

A strong and chill breeze from the north east was blowing.

Shopping was undertaken in the small Coop, with queuing outside for just under 10 mins, waiting other shoppers to clear the section ahead.

CTMK delivered some empty used egg boxes to the deli, which they seem to appreciate.

On the way back I noticed that The Packhorse is doing a takeaway service on certain days of the week, including, if I recall correctly, a takeaway Sunday roast.

No information on Station House (formerly known as 'The Oak', formerly known as 'The Royal Oak'), but that's because I didn't walk up in that direction.

Returned back to Kernow Towers for a herbal tea.

End of report.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

We supported one of our local pubs who have implemented a delivery service the other day. It was a nice treat in these troubled times and good to think we are hopefully helping to make sure they are still in business on the other side. £52 for a 3 course meal and 4 pints of beer delivered. All nicely cooked and delivered warm enough to eat.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, County of Yorkshire said:

It’s my 30th birthday today, but due to the lockdown, I’m not going to be able to personally see or eat the birthday cake that my mum commissioned for me!

May I thank you for your responsible attitude in not visiting mum. If a few more people obeyed Government requirements the virus might lose way sooner. Happy Birthday!

• Like 3
  • Agree 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, County of Yorkshire said:

It’s my 30th birthday today, but due to the lockdown, I’m not going to be able to personally see or eat the birthday cake that my mum commissioned for me! Luckily, smartphones and cameras exist! 

It’s rare motive power: the Collett Class 30 2-2-2-4 tank. Only 1 was ever built. Can we see one running on Brent, Rob? 

A7185B85-FF49-4B1C-B8AA-64370F79B4E4.jpeg.fe1f0c176a117fba43b7b7dd04ac44f9.jpeg

The coal, wheels and smoke are all edible apparently! 

I’ll try and arrange to pick up a few slices from under the front doormat when out on my daily bike ride during the week...

Cheers,

CoY  

Is it a Hornby model? I only ask as it has their interpretation of GW green.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Must say that black livery grows on me. Never thought I’d say that - perhaps it’s the G (crest) W on the tender that makes the difference compared to BR black with early emblem or late crest.

Totally agree and I feel the same way with the all over brown too. Bachmann are hopefully releasing their pannier in this livery in May, world events permitting.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1