Par Station & St Blazey Depot, 1980's Cornish Mainline in N scale

cornish trains jez

Good evening,

The final three supports were finished off and planted this evening. Here are all 10.........I think they are straight enough however some camera angles make one or two look wonky. If anyone thinks the same, let me know, I won't be offended! I'd rather it look right than nearly right.

post-10222-0-87218600-1410814752_thumb.jpg

And then with the almost finished canopy.

post-10222-0-92046700-1410814800_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-60834400-1410814816_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-20201000-1410814831_thumb.jpg

The signal box has also gained some steps as previously mentioned. Just need to make up the handrails now.

post-10222-0-69995100-1410814882_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 9

Going through Flickr and found these lovely shots of Par 1970's, thought I'd share the links however there are more on this chaps photostream. Definitely worth checking out.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/invader1009/15153520586/in/photolist-oW3zZg-pdqMuL-pdsST7-oPieHF-p64KJj-pbjt76-dqTTAY-dqULv9-dqTxin-dqULtG-oUmCLg-pa9x4v-o62G5S-oSBvhw-dqTLug-dqTTBW-opMp9y-oVXTLG-oirWd6-p7VUbt-pa3g9Y-oU6nio-p1eTKE-oU6WRn-eG3We7

https://www.flickr.com/photos/invader1009/14975087261/in/photolist-oW3zZg-pdqMuL-pdsST7-oPieHF-p64KJj-pbjt76-dqTTAY-dqULv9-dqTxin-dqULtG-oUmCLg-pa9x4v-o62G5S-oSBvhw-dqTLug-dqTTBW-opMp9y-oVXTLG-oirWd6-p7VUbt-pa3g9Y-oU6nio-p1eTKE-oU6WRn-eG3We7

https://www.flickr.com/photos/invader1009/15199719511/in/photolist-oW3zZg-pdqMuL-pdsST7-oPieHF-p64KJj-pbjt76-dqTTAY-dqULv9-dqTxin-dqULtG-oUmCLg-pa9x4v-o62G5S-oSBvhw-dqTLug-dqTTBW-opMp9y-oVXTLG-oirWd6-p7VUbt-pa3g9Y-oU6nio-p1eTKE-oU6WRn-eG3We7

There's also a whole section on the Westerns. Plus there are plenty of 70's and 80's Cornish railway photos taken at various locations.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Interesting to note the changes to the track layout; the 1974 pic shows the older steam-era layout at the west end with the double junction and trailing slip connection to the down main, the 1976 picture shows the present-day layout.

Well nothing went to plan last night and the bits I hoped to do ended up not getting done. However, a sheet of 0.5mm plasticard came out and the little structure/hut here https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/6843083357/in/faves-76701905@N08/ which is sited next to the signal box was put together. I'm unsure what this is used for, maybe storage or something. Ian (roundhouse) the photo that you posted on this thread a little while ago proved very valuable for building it as there are very few photos showing the rear of the signal box, thanks again for posting.

I'll pop some pictures up later.

You may also have noticed a slight addition to the title of this thread. Once Par is nearing completion I will make a start on St Blazey depot which will be the area spanning from Par Green to St Andrews Road. Par will be the exhibition layout and will be detachable from St Blazey depot, however an additional fiddle yard will be created under the St Blazey layout for when Par is at home and linked up.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy

Perhaps you should call it    Diesels 'N The Dutchy :sungum:

Glad the photos were of use.

If you need any more close ups of this area (where public access allows) just let me know before Saturday morning.

Cheers Ian. The depot will allow me to store and display locos and rolling stock "on shed" when they are not in use. I like the title diesels N the Duchy, that could work!

A large package from the 2FS Association turned up in the post yesterday containing a large amount of both bullhead and flat bottom easitrac and rail. Also some more turnout strips and associated plastic chairs for the rails. Also in there were some WR buffer stops for me to solder together and hopefully not make a mess of. If anyone has any tips for building these before I have a bash at them then please let me know.

• RMweb Gold

A large package from the 2FS Association turned up in the post yesterday containing a large amount of both bullhead and flat bottom easitrac and rail. Also some more turnout strips and associated plastic chairs for the rails. Also in there were some WR buffer stops for me to solder together and hopefully not make a mess of. If anyone has any tips for building these before I have a bash at them then please let me know.

I have built two of those buffer stops so far

The etch allws for them to be folded ontop of the piece that is to be soldered and then can clamp them together.

I used plenty of liquid flux but I cant claim that they are the neatest soldered items in the world!!

Good evening,

I recently bought a very small collection of slides (with copyright) from several sources and a friend of mine has kindly scanned them in for me and cleaned them up where necessary. They are mainly of Par station in the 80's (however there are a couple from an earlier period).

So I thought I would share them with you all, very appropriately on this thread, over the next few days. I may also start a topic in the Cornwall Railways section too.

Here is the first one of 50011 "Centurion" which has just arrived at Par, bound for Penzance on the Plymouth - Penzance, 30th July 1984.

post-10222-0-37956300-1411065463_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Great stuff as usual Jeremy. John Greenwood has the St Blazey shed in the middle of his return loop/fiddle yard - see the North Cornwall link in my signature below. I'm currently building the shed and workshop buildings at the moment  although its very much set in steam days so will be very different to your 1990's period. John gives me the eye if I run my Hydraulics or Bubble car into Wadebridge - he certainly wouldn't approve of my 37s!!

Jerry

lovely progress Jeremy. really good stuff and good news on the St.Blazey venture.

looks like you will need a few yellow LDV vans judging by the above photo.

all the best

Jack

Cheers Jack. St Blazey will certainly add plenty of additional interest. Not sure if the LDV vans are available in N. I may have learn to do 3D CAD drawings so I can 3D print one.

Great stuff as usual Jeremy. John Greenwood has the St Blazey shed in the middle of his return loop/fiddle yard - see the North Cornwall link in my signature below. I'm currently building the shed and workshop buildings at the moment  although its very much set in steam days so will be very different to your 1990's period. John gives me the eye if I run my Hydraulics or Bubble car into Wadebridge - he certainly wouldn't approve of my 37s!!

Jerry

Thank you Jerry. I'll be interested to see your buildings as and when they are finished. Are you using detailed plans or are you going by photos and google earth measurements?

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Jerry. I'll be interested to see your buildings as and when they are finished. Are you using detailed plans or are you going by photos and google earth measurements?

Bit of both really as the site has had to be compressed. The trackplan can be seen halfway down this post   http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78121-the-north-cornwall-line-in-2mm-finescale/?p=1218250

St Blazey sits in the middle of the staging sidings.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

I think a seperate thread for these new found pics in The Railways of Cornwall would be most fitting :)

I think it would be a shame not to have at least the Par ones here, even if duplicated. Its nice to have pictures of the prototype to compare with the model. Also, a quick look down the Railways of Cornwall section reveals loads of different threads with very few responses. I'm not convinced constantly starting new threads is a good idea, they can tend to get lost.

Jerry

Two more for this morning.

First off is Class 122 bubble car 55009, P109, just arrived at Par from Newquay - 9th March 1988. This Bubble car is now preserved.

post-10222-0-88995300-1411113281_thumb.jpg

50028 "Tiger" on Penzance - Aberdeen. Unfortunately I don't have the date on this one.

post-10222-0-60806400-1411113362_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez
  • Like 4