Par Station & St Blazey Depot, 1980's Cornish Mainline in N scale

cornish trains jez

Following on from your West Country Sleeper thread I thought you might be interested in a couple more photos.

Taken on Saturday 3 October 1987 (the last day of loco hauled Summer Saturday trains to Newquay) they show 50001 and 142025.

Enjoy.

post-7112-0-88021400-1410513461_thumb.jpg

post-7112-0-82576700-1410513473_thumb.jpg

Click to enlarge

Edited by Flood
  • Like 5

Following on from your West Country Sleeper thread I thought you might be interested in a couple more photos.

Taken on Saturday 3 October 1987 (the last day of loco hauled Summer Saturday trains to Newquay) they show 50001 and 142025.

Enjoy.

attachicon.gif50001 Par 3 Oct 1987 resized.jpg

attachicon.gif142025 Par 3 Oct 1987 resized.jpg

Click to enlarge

Hi Flood,

Many thanks for posting those. It's always good to have plenty of reference photos when creating a model in a specific period. Really like those, thank you!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Good afternoon,

Having some more thoughts on rolling stock and some additional trains that could add some more interest to the layout once it's up and running:

First on my hit list is the Chipmans Weed Killing train. I already have 37196 "Tre Pol and Pen" in railfreight grey so I'm some of the way there with this one. I'd require the two Maunsell coaches which would need some modification, then there's the 4-5 tanks and then the SR bogie utility vehicle which I think Ultima models do a similar wagon. I think that's the correct formation.

Second is the BT Telecom class 118 P460. I already have the etches and two Dapol 121 bubbles to convert and use. I may use a MK1 coach, modified for the centre coach. I hope to have this one ready for the show next year in Hayle.

Third one is the sleeper. I have some good info on this one now so thanks again to everyone who helped out on this one.

My last one is a rail tour. The Cornish Crompton Swansong ran on the 29th October 1988 so fits in nicely with period. 33033 and 33031 in RF construction livery and BR blue livery respectively were in charge with a rake of NSE and Blue/grey stock. Here it is, paused at Par https://www.flickr.com/photos/38339202@N00/8543696953/in/photolist-e25ipj-e1YFrT-e25isf-e1YFoc-e1YFvg-5R9KUz-dfPcvd-dfRF1h-dg9UTp-dfPceu

I think the variation of liveries makes this an interesting train to run. There are a couple of photos of this one at Penzance and I can just make out the first four coaches (London end) which seem to be MK2a TSO's. I'm unsure as to the others so if anyone has any info , please let me know.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez

Looking at this photo (https://www.flickr.com/photos/38339202@N00/8544793468/in/set-72157632959061695/lightbox/) it looks like a standard Waterloo - Exeter rake.

The first 5 coaches are 3 x Mk2b TSO, 2 x Mk2a BFK which would then be followed by Mk2c TSOT and 3 more TSOs, either Mk2a or Mk2b.

Thanks for posting. It's a real mixture of liveries isn't it. I'd need to get some coaches resprayed for this one! And NSE livery isn't a cheap one either to get done unless I go for NSE lining transfers.

So the first show for the layout is in Hayle then?

Hayle will be it's first. It's appropriate as it's Cornwall. It seems a way away but it'll creep up on me fast so I need to keep up the modelling momentum so I get the layout finished in time. Looking forward to seeing Banbury at Warley.

• RMweb Gold

Hayle will be it's first. It's appropriate as it's Cornwall. It seems a way away but it'll creep up on me fast so I need to keep up the modelling momentum so I get the layout finished in time. Looking forward to seeing Banbury at Warley.

You are as mad as us as Banburys first show was Barrow In Furness!!

See you at Warley.

Ian

A couple more of the BSO with the steps in position. Unfortunately, I got some glue on my finger and then deposited it onto the coach leaving a mark. So this one will have to be resprayed now into Inter City executive livery.

post-10222-0-63520000-1410699965_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-63520000-1410699965_thumb.jpg

I'll have a go at the hand rails later.

post-10222-0-95484500-1410699981_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

You might be able to remove the glue...Try a cotton bud with a little bit of t-cut on it - be very gentle! I managed to get rid of some superglue recently on a bodged depot plaque application.

Worth a go before repainting maybe?

Am liking this more and more everytime I look at it!

With regards to some of your stock. Ultima do make a SR bogie utllity van - I was going to get one for newspaper traffic on South Tawton but in the TINGS thread have noted unpainted Farish samples- so might wait for them.

An alternative for the NSE coaches is the adhesive vinyls from Electra Rail Graphics. I have made an 7 coach Waterloo-Exeter rake this way. Started out with Farish mk2 air-cons, with the sides stripped and the vinyls applied. The underfloor details modified for the non air-con (BernardTPM send me a diagram of this if you are interested), roof vents from ultima (the same diagram has the positions) and TPM gangeways. Not quite Blue Riband standard but I'm happy and I'm sure you could do better in 2fs. I do believe that Farish are releasing the Mk2a TSO in NSE at some stage.

The more I look the better Par looks as a location. Must stick to North Devon for the time being....

• Like 1

Well, I managed to get the final three canopy suppports made up yesterday. They will just need a bit of filing later ready for planting tonight on the layout. The signal box has also gained some steps and I've scribed another two strips of plasticard for the platform edging.

Photos to follow later.

Also, really liking the SR bogie van featured on the Farish display at TINGS mentioned by TomJ a couple of posts ago., will fit nicely in my future weed killing train. A nice surprise from Dapol is the TGS, that will now complete my HST rake once released.