Par Station & St Blazey Depot, 1980's Cornish Mainline in N scale

cornish trains jez

Good evening,

Finally a bit of a photographic update.

37196 approached Par from St Blazey with a single PBA Tiger china clay wagon in tow.

post-10222-0-05746800-1413745024_thumb.jpg

I have completed some more track work to the Eastern end of the station:

post-10222-0-51444800-1413745073_thumb.jpg

Overall view:

post-10222-0-55168800-1413745086_thumb.jpg

Ramps across the track in place and ready for painting. Track work has received it's first coat of rusty rails. Ignore the bits on the rails as these are from the tops of the rails when I rubbed off the paint. Just needs a good old hoover up!

post-10222-0-88483700-1413745196_thumb.jpg

More slabbing around the signal box:

post-10222-0-69268200-1413745216_thumb.jpg

I have started painting the island platform canopy (still not fixed in place but just posed to show what it will look like):

post-10222-0-31558000-1413745264_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-59526600-1413745274_thumb.jpg

Lots more still to do but just thought I would update with the latest.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 10

Ha ha! No, no wires in Cornwall. It's an AL5 electric loco body which I picked up recently, as I've always had a soft spot for AC electrics. It needs some work and I've been having a go at reprofiling the cab roofs as they were very flat.

The canopy has been a little complicated to build and I'm quite pleased with how it's turning out.

Thanks for looking in.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Looking good, like the look of 37196 and the station is looking smart . Think you need to start planning a layout for those ac locos!

Cheers

Simon

Thanks mate. 37196 is one of my favourites. I'm not sure about another layout for the ac locos, they will just get the occasional run round on Par for the time being, but who knows in the future...!! They'd look more at home on Dallam!

Looking very good and nice to see the layout progressing. The 86 body looks interesting too, a resin cast of a converted 87?

Hi Cav,

The resin body is an 85. It does need some work though and I plan to add some wire hand rails and then convert a Dapol 86 chassis to fit and hopefully link up the lights to it. It's not a top priority project but it's nice to pick up something different every now and then.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Yes I can see its an 85 now. I didnt look too hard I have to say, just read the previous post. It'll be nice to see done but as you say these things have to be prioritised. In the very distant future I may do a WCML N gauge layout but thats many many years away if it ever comes to pass. I did think of doing my Neale Bank plan in N before starting Millers Dale but it didnt scale exactly and wouldnt have fit in my house erected which didnt fit the brief. I may revisit down the line though.

Yes I can see its an 85 now. I didnt look too hard I have to say, just read the previous post. It'll be nice to see done but as you say these things have to be prioritised. In the very distant future I may do a WCML N gauge layout but thats many many years away if it ever comes to pass. I did think of doing my Neale Bank plan in N before starting Millers Dale but it didnt scale exactly and wouldnt have fit in my house erected which didnt fit the brief. I may revisit down the line though.

I've got a 2mm chassis on the way to replace my Farish one on my TPM VDA van wagon, and also some DG couplings for my PBA Tiger wagon and clay hoods once they are built. I'm challenging myself to build 24 clay hoods over the Christmas period!

So there are a few rolling stock projects to fit in with the layout development.

I know what you mean. I have 15 JGAs to build and paint plus renumbering and weathering 15 PCA tanks and 10 steel hood wagons not mention the coaching stock. This independent modelling melarky does put the pressure on for getting stuff done doesnt it.

I know what you mean. I have 15 JGAs to build and paint plus renumbering and weathering 15 PCA tanks and 10 steel hood wagons not mention the coaching stock. This independent modelling melarky does put the pressure on for getting stuff done doesnt it.

Totally agree with you. It's difficult juggling all the different aspects of the hobby around. I'm really focusing on the layout aspect at the moment as I really want to start getting some greenery on it soon and start covering up the bare baseboard. I'd also really like to redo the station building before the show but I'm unsure whether I will have time to do that. I doubt I'll have any signals built by that time also as I have now decided to build them all so that they work and I've never built a workable signal so this well be a challenge in itself. There are 5 signals to be built for Par.

Indeed. Its nice to get the baseboards covered. Nothing progresses a layout like grass! Are you doing MSE signals? Ibthink you are right to do working ones. I'm certainly having them on MD. Would look odd SPADing all the time.

• RMweb Gold

Totally agree with you. It's difficult juggling all the different aspects of the hobby around. I'm really focusing on the layout aspect at the moment as I really want to start getting some greenery on it soon and start covering up the bare baseboard. I'd also really like to redo the station building before the show but I'm unsure whether I will have time to do that. I doubt I'll have any signals built by that time also as I have now decided to build them all so that they work and I've never built a workable signal so this well be a challenge in itself. There are 5 signals to be built for Par.

Jeremy

i have the non working ones off Banbury going spare if they are of any use as a stop gap measure - they are built out of Ratio kits but had the posts rounded. No brakcet signals though.

Indeed. Its nice to get the baseboards covered. Nothing progresses a layout like grass! Are you doing MSE signals? Ibthink you are right to do working ones. I'm certainly having them on MD. Would look odd SPADing all the time.

I'll certainly be buying the parts from MSE and there will be a certain amount of scratch building to do. I'll probably start with the one next to the signal box.

Jeremy

i have the non working ones off Banbury going spare if they are of any use as a stop gap measure - they are built out of Ratio kits but had the posts rounded. No brakcet signals though.

That's tempting Ian. It might be an idea to have a couple for the show just as a stop gap like you say.

Good evening,

Just thought I'd show some more appropriate traction tonight rather than AC electrics in Cornwall.

So here we have some Cornish class 37's:

Here's 3 of them....

post-10222-0-04486000-1413836160_thumb.jpg

37207 "William Cookworthy" with body lowered to reduce gap between body and bogies. Just needs the "207" added to the cab side number

post-10222-0-38085100-1413836200_thumb.jpg

37181, still needs some work and it's etched roof grill and fan fitted. I've already replaced the buffers with oval etched ones. Also needs the bogie mod carried out.

post-10222-0-00804000-1413836255_thumb.jpg

37196 "Tre Pol and Pen" resprayed for me by Custom Resprays (highly recommended). Bogies raised on this one to reduce the gap.

post-10222-0-43360400-1413836352_thumb.jpg

And last but not least, a very grubby 37206! I have raised the bogies on this one to reduce the gap.

post-10222-0-07047900-1413836389_thumb.jpg

All 4 of them ready for action!

post-10222-0-78727900-1413836410_thumb.jpg

I also have in my loco box an EWS class 37 ready for being converted to 37672 with some etched replacement nose grills that Cav (RBE) had going spare. It will be resprayed into railfreight grey with the red stripe. Also in there is another blue 37 ready to be renumbered 37185 and Cornish Railways emblems to be added.

I was hoping to start some work tonight on the waiting room which is located under the island platform canopy but a small 18 month old little chap is not that keen to go to bed this evening and is still up!! :nono:  :no:

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 11

The 37s look great with the reduced gap.

I have seen/read of several different methods to achieve the result, what did you do to achieve your results if you don't mind me asking.

Regards

Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your kind comments.

It's a fairly straight forward conversion. I cut the bogie side frames off and then reposition them about 0.5mm higher. Don't forget to add some additional supports on top of the bogies at the front and then some underneath. Cav (RBE) has a step by step guide on his Millers Dale thread which is worth a look. I'll try and post my method on here soon with some photos but it's pretty much the same as Cav's.

Thanks for looking in.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Heres the page on my thread showing the bogie frame mod. The fleets looking good Jeremy.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/68652-millers-dale-in-the-80s-br-peak-line-in-n/page-48

Thanks mate. I should  have 6 class 37's ready for the show next year. I have a couple of blue liveried class 47's and I'd like to find a reasonably priced retooled large logo version. I'm also keeping an eye out for an executive liveried Dapol HST but there are none around, even on ebay there is none and I have set myself up a saved search for one.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Yeah bargains are hard to come by these days. I was lucky Ive managed to get my retooled 47s for under £60 and one was dcc fitted. Oddly I repainted my rail blue one into Large logo and the my large logo into railfreight grey! I dont like to have my stock with the numbers as they come and there arent many 47s with flush fronts at both ends as portrayed by 535. Thats why it became 190. So now I have a headcode boxed LL one in 459 instead. I would like another to do as 527 'kettering' in mainline intercity though. Ill be keeping my ebay eyes peeled!

post-6894-0-90000100-1413877152_thumb.png

Edited by RBE
  • Like 10