Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

I see that the Hazel Grove route is being used again for the empties since the dridge job near Whaley Bridge has been done. My usual place for catching the stone trains is Marple as I walk over the bridge just north of the station two or three times a week when I am picking up my grandson from school. 

I usually manage to make it co-incide with the DB train to Ashburys or the GBRF empties from Small Heath, or as it is sometimes Northampton or Hams Hall. The Doncaster empties also comes around that time.

• RMweb Gold

I hope photos 3 and 4 (TPE on Hazel Grove Chord) are in the wrong order.  If not, “Euston, we have a problem”!!

37 minutes ago, big jim said:

I’m going to stay on to Hindlow and then ride my bike from there to cromford and get a train back to crewe from there via derby! 

That’s a fair ride, and better that way than in reverse.  Take care on the incline, it’s quite steep!

Paul.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, big jim said:

The two TPE pics are in the correct order, it’s the same train heading away from the camera, what’s the issue you are seeing? 

I think Paul has forgotten Hazel Grove is bi-di

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, big jim said:

Didn’t realise the line through Whaley bridge was used for the empties, that bridge was a pain in the IM trains, we had to sit at Furness vale and wait for the passenger train to get there before we could head to Buxton (the bridge wasn’t allowed to have 2 trains on it at once, units are ok but a unit and loco hauled weren’t allowed) 

There was always one path in the timetable but it was normally only used when somebody needed to get their card updated.

19 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

That’s a fair ride, and better that way than in reverse.  Take care on the incline, it’s quite steep!

I sometimes drive up to Hindlow and ride various mix and match routes which include High Peak Trail, Carsington Water, Tissington Trail and Manifold Valley (not all on the same day).

I remember one winter day after riding down the Tissington trail then across to Hulme End to do the Leek and Manifold then across to Ashbourne and back up the Tissington Trail. When we got to Ashbourne the weather was turning bad and there was a Force 6 northerly wind blowing. Seventeen miles against the wind and mostly up hill. By the time we got to Hartington we were just about done for. Another occasion we had freezing fog for the last ten miles. By the time we got to the car I had a coating of ice all over the bike.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, big jim said:

The two TPE pics are in the correct order, it’s the same train heading away from the camera, what’s the issue you are seeing? 

10 hours ago, beast66606 said:

I think Paul has forgotten Hazel Grove is bi-di

Paul had indeed forgotten that Hazel Grove is bidi.  He will slope off and eat humble pie!

:-)

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

And did you get off for the inclines?

Thanks for taking the trouble to take and post these great photos.

Jonathan

no rode down them slowly, brakes red hot and stinking at the bottom though!

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Did you go into the pit to look at the wagon half buried in there?

i did see it but didn’t bother going to have a look, to be honest there was a lot em route I could have stopped to photograph like a rotting mobile crane, incline shunting ramp, signal post etc but I’d get no decent progress done stopping all the time, and it was quite Misty too

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, big jim said:

incline shunting ramp,

That ramp was where they used to park the old tenders they used for bringing water up to the top section. There are pictures of locos topping up from them.

15 minutes ago, big jim said:

signal post

I like getting to that when northbound as if the time is right it's five minutes to brew time.

An interesting signal, reinforced concrete and still has the rusting remains of the LNWR spec plate on it. I would guess that it could be about 100 years old.

There are some pictures in my Ghosts in the Machine thread.

Can't believe it's six years since I took those.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 3

Hi Jim

Love the pics. It was good to see you today. A shame that, due to the the zoom meeting I was doing at the time, I could not stop for a long chat. Proof that you can never predict what a day is going to be like. I agreed to the meeting because I expected it to be a quiet day.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers for those pics- I visited the incline and winding house on a Geology/Industrial-Archaeology field trip when I was back at college, found it very interesting.  Steeple Grange looks like an interesting setup too, have to put that on the list of places to visit next year.

Thanks Jim for that insight to the leaf problem. You have explained it in simple terms and illustrated it well. Keep up the great work. I will now go back to railmap online and try to work out your routes to Peak Forest and back……..

Keith

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, KeithHC said:

I will now go back to railmap online and try to work out your routes to Peak Forest and back……..

Keith

The route is crewe-sandbach-Middlewich-northwich-altrincham-northenden jn (Heaton Mersey) -hazel grove-chinley-peak forest

it comes back peak forest-chinley-new mills-guide bridge-Denton-stockport-crewe, I don’t sign the new mills to stockport buit so can’t go that way but I do go stockport to hazel grove via Davenport

im in a good position that I also go over the hope valley and through Sheffield or Chesterfield so I can get out of peak forest most ways of issues arise! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5