Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

.....okay....they need a LITTLE more work than that.....

med_gallery_17883_3112_32138.jpgrmweb4004WW2dinghy

there should probably be some supplies in the boat.....but for the second I have added some shadows and the impression of some water, and the dark line around the side was very obvious on the model so I have tried to make it look like the rope they used to hang onto.........

I considered drill a thin hole on each of the hand grips around the dinghy...but my experience with the kayak ........ouch.......has made me wary of messing to much (I will probably attempt to repair it later....   :(   ............Anyway the hats are distinctly GI Joe and not a Tommy.

and then you need some water.......

as this is clearly IN a harbour, either it is for a photo shoot......OR it really is WWII and out two lads have been out for the night giving the girls chewing gum, silk stockings and what ever else they can get away with... :angel: ....and are no quietly hoping to sneak back on board......and worried they left it a bit late as it is rather late and sneaking on might just be a little bit.....hopeful.........

med_gallery_17883_3112_66442.jpg

• Like 6

oh dear......there does NOT appear to be an American boat out here.......I hope for their sake it is modern times, and just a photo shoot........

med_gallery_17883_3112_389142.jpgrmweb4007WW2dinghy

especially as the tidy seems strong and they appear to be heading back to shore despite looking as tho they are paddling....

med_gallery_17883_3112_124810.jpgrmweb4008WW2dinghy

FYI I i did paint some white highlight on the dinghy and on the men, but the camera has done a better job. The shadows I painted where they sit have photographed nicely though.

• Like 3

Whatever it is the two lads are up to.....

its nice to see them looking happier than they were in #8975 while you were roughing 'em with yer paintbrush :mosking:

dh

They don't know how lucky they are...I contemplated adding tissue paper to make some life jackets but felt it might be a pain removing it if I was not happy with the result, again them being about 50years old stressing the plastic could be problematic......so they just got a 'white yellow washing'.I had more fun getting the uniform a decent colour, and getting the highlight and shadows to not be too ridiculous....If I source something useful I might still put netting on their hats, just no foliage......dont think seaweed would help much out on the water ROFL.......

And lucky for them they photographed ok, 'cos the poor Llama was too shiny when I tried it out and looked awful...so had a full repaint to a white and ochre....but in my opinion looks much better and has a nice mask...but.the light has gone.......so I will photo it tomorrow.

And as for the camel......well I have the photo.....and it will appear sometime soon.....with suitable explanation....LOL.....

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

If you really want a Safari train then a 009 one would do the trick.  It will have everything you want.  I think most things will be available as kits on the Parkside Dundas website plus some R-T-R locos. 

If you are really interested then I will have a look as give you direct links to stuff.

Jaz,

If you really want a Safari train then a 009 one would do the trick.  It will have everything you want.  I think most things will be available as kits on the Parkside Dundas website plus some R-T-R locos. 

If you are really interested then I will have a look as give you direct links to stuff.

Oh no that suits on several front, seeing Sasquatch with the Parkside kits has had me wondering just how hard are they (I thought about the wording of this and will clarify.....HE makes them look pretty easy....I hope I will find them so), and the fact it won't be too expensive, and the fact I can cut it about a bit.I'll go look. Thank you for the pointer, AND the link.

I take back the word cheap.....the white metal ones are scary....and the plastic ones are not 'cheap' luckily I think this one would do...any thoughts?

pic_DL05.jpg

Festiniog & Blaenau Railway 0-4-2 Tank Loco 'Scorcher'/'Nipper'

Product Code: DL05

£35.80

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

I think they are fairly easy from what I remember of them.  I have mainly built the 009 ones.

There are actually a number of loco kits, all will go with an R-T-R n gauge chassis so if you get a whitemetal kit they are not difficult.  (Come on, even I can do them.)

There are lots of different types of coaches although I could not find the 'toast rack' type except one workman's coach.

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

Whitemetal as I said is fairly easy, they can be glued together.  This one is whitemetal/brass so I am not sure how much of each it is.  I doubt that you would have to solder it, but I might be wrong.  I think it looks the part but I think you may find cheaper ones.

Treni ya safari kwa muzungus

have a look at

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67526-older-inspirational-layouts/page-14

post #330 below

tebee, on 06 May 2014 - 18:07, said:

Another line I liked was a model of Uganda Railway is something like 10mm scale on 32mm track . Have some photos of this I took an early digital camera.

P000731.JPG

P000757.JPG

Tom

CKPR commented  Giraffes - now there's something you don't see on many layouts these days !

Aha! But the twiga is making a comeback in AV

dh

• Like 4

I sense another   ........

have a look at

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67526-older-inspirational-layouts/page-14

post #330 below

dh

....................................................................   tall story is on the way   .......   :jester:  :jester:

• Like 1

have a look at

post #330 below

dh

I sense another   ........

....................................................................   tall story is on the way   .......   :jester:  :jester:

Sorry know I am being dumb.....but what is TWIGA?

I like the inspiration, I wish I had more of some of the animals......3 elephants is passable, two polar bears...believable......but one just ONE penguin? you think modeller would have a trio, a adult male a adult female and a baby.......okayyyyyyy some of the babies would be small.....but how do you use them otherwise? Even some of the modern packs can be a bit lite offering just individuals. I checked the link...and found in inspirational as well.....but nEVEr I am sad to say saw any of these oldies because my mum and dad were more into History....we went on holiday in our tent or caravan to visit roman ruins, Hadrian's Wall, Welsh Castle....and the quirky Portmerion (an absolute I have loads of picture of me and my older brother and parents wandering around here, imaging I was on the film unit at 'I am not a number' The Prisoner We often visited stuff Mum had seen on TV. I got to go see LOADS of Museum exhibitions including.....Dr Who, Henry VIII, Tutankamun to mention just a few. Which does indeed influence my modelling. One of my aunts had married an american GI and when she came over for visits, we would get masses of toys, the boys got highly collectable Armed forces toys depicting either US or UK forces, with moveable bits and launch able weapons....they would launch match sticks, and my brother would let me play with them (He was 8 years old) under his careful Hawk eye. We went to zoos, and safari parks, and walks in the country side stopping to admire water features especially waterfalls. I spent a lot of my childhood drawing the things we had been and seen. But Sadly we had a car right from when I was a baby, so never used trains. The only trains I saw was if mum took me to Slough Station to go to Windsor, then we would wonder around and down to Eton to look at the antique shops and try a different coffee shop there, where we often saw the Eton boys walking up and down to get some sweet from a tuck shop, and sit in the same coffee shops. My brothers school uniform in those days included a cap, which I used for fancy dress many a time.......memories......they completely effect how we look at things. And as for graffiti, that would be all the art galleries my mum would happily traps through as well as the Victoria and Albert museum which had clothes through the ages, and snippets of life in the 20s 30s 40s 50s and of course earlier. Oh I could gas forever.....

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

But.....with the talk of the safari.....and seeing those lovely African buildings.....I suppose I can reveal what I got with the Airfix models.....and how they could be used as a landscape for the safari......and it follows with my last post...as my mum was truly fainted by the Pharaohs, we have loads of her books on the subject.....and for the school she worked for she did a project about how to write in Hieroglyphs....well my brother was obviously influenced I have a little pack of Egyptian related items including a sarcophagus, and a couple of lion statues rearing, and they could be placed near a mock up of a ruin.....and if I can source the little devils those red bummed creature someone pointed out I would have so much fun painting......or in deed any troop of monkeys / apes.....I have not even looked yet, but hope they are a bout.....otherwise......it won't be just dogs I model.......

PLUS the little ones could clamber over the train even with passengers around, as I remember that happening in one of my childhood visits......not with the train mind.....but passing through an area where there were monkeys, the only thing is I don't remember is if it was here in the UK or one of my school trips to Europe. I just remember that we had been allowed to buy peanuts (at an exorbitant price) and we allowed to give them to the small monkeys. If anyone remembers the same I would truly love to place that memory. Knowing my mum's other love for stately homes and their rooms inside and their gardens outside it could be just a bout anywhere here in the UK.

Anyway I thought some Egyptian ruins.....some monkeys........Yep no one would say AV was your typical railway layout.........PLUS it could align itself to the filming area, because the theme parks nowadays do all sorts........even Harry Potter  :angel: just wish I had an accurate loco for that one. And yes I have contemplated actually making it. 

• Like 2

Should have added........

The double Decker at Longlet needs some care  .......................   not to chose a bus with a "walk-on" rear deck [like the Knight Bus]   ....................

It is also pretty ancient and decrepit  ...................    

You should be Ok with the train though    ......   as it wouldn't have to run    ............   they keep driving it off the tracks  .......................................    with visitors on board   ..................    :O  :O

They haven't killed anyone yet, but a few, not nice, injuries 'though   .......

Ok, it looks like a small industrial engine and the coaches are fairly open sided and could be made up from N Gauge Bogie Well Wagons and plasticard  ....   :senile:

pic  ...   there is also a blue Diesel loco and the open sides of the coaches are [almost] visible here

16402851795_b3fdc7fc3e_m.jpg
jungle_kingdom_train by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Should have added........

pic  ...   there is also a blue Diesel loco and the open sides of the coaches are [almost] visible here

16402851795_b3fdc7fc3e_m.jpg

jungle_kingdom_train by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Jaz,

Quoting the post this time!  :yes:   Would these coaches, the ones right at the top do?

I really must not keep looking at the Parkside website as it has so many delightful little locos.  I remember now why I got into 009.

• Like 4

A view of the Station  ..............  and the turntable can be seen [if you squint hard enough] at the "A" arrow  ..............

Oh!!!! I like that NOT a sit on. And brightly coloured. Just my kind of thing  :sungum:

16408231092_0f46c5c560_c.jpg
Longleat Train Stn and line by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

The train goes through the woods and emerges at "B"  ...........   from where it goes to near the end of the lake to turn and return along the shore at "C"   ........

there is a lovely video on YouTube, showing the Station, turntable and H&S hard at work  ....

Lovely compilation with both steam and diesel Locos and a good look at the coaches, with the Safari luggage atop the coaches

• Like 5

They look pretty close  .....

Jaz,

Quoting the post this time!  :yes:   Would these coaches, the ones right at the top do?

I really must not keep looking at the Parkside website as it has so many delightful little locos.  I remember now why I got into 009.

although the doors look to be moulded in, so you might have to take a saw to them  ......    :O

• Like 1

Jaz,

No, it all comes with it.  The would say if not.

That makes the coaches pretty affordable  :sungum: .....

Does anyone know if it is better to source direct from Parkside or is there a cheaper pace to buy them from? I can search...but it is still easy to miss a bargain.

I'll need some 9mm gauge track, and I understand it is still 4mm just narrow gauge. And there will be no engine......so it will just be static for the looks.

Is there anything else I am missing?????

Edited by Jaz

We used to go to a Safari park in Germany when I was a kid. it was in a place called Stuckenbrock. You went through the Safari park in your car or on a bus and the at the end parked your car and there was a Baboon enclosure. The train had carriages that were basically cages on wheels and the baboons would climb all over as it went round a basic oval. Once that was done it was on to all of the rides !!! A great family day out. They even had a petting zoo with sheep, goats chickens etc.... 

• Like 2