Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Older Inspirational Layouts

• RMweb Premium

Just finished idly scrolling through this thread - some marvellous memories!

I remember seeing Mac Pyrke's "Berrow" at a London exhibition (probably the MRC pre-IMREX Easter show) some time around the late 1960s, it was probably one of the first London exhibitions I attended.

Somebody on another thread mentioned Colin Boocock's "Weybourne" (RM article mid to late '70s?), I found that layout very inspirational because of the operational interest in a modest space and more importantly to me, region & era depicted (BR/SR c.1966 to end of steam) but I doubt I'd ever have had the bottle to convert class 33s out of Hornby AL1 electrics! Thankfully Lima brought their 00 model out soon after the article appeared.

Does anyone else remember a WCML based layout called (IIRC) "Lancaster Junction", featured in RM in the late '70s? I think the builder was a gent called Brian Taylor. The layout featured a branch to a station called Glasson, and the whole thing looked as if it was great fun to operate. Stock was very good for its time - mainly detailed/converted Hornby Dublo with a few TriangHornby locos and kitbuilds and I remember thinking that although the station itself probably bore little relation to the real Lancaster, the layout had real atmosphere. If anyone knows which mag it appeared in, I'd be grateful if they'd tell me as I'd very much like to read about it again!

"Castle Combe" by Ken Payne (EM, GWR) is another one I'll never forget - such a spacious, open feel - especially the Tyling branch line where the auto train appeared to traverse a considerable distance before it reached the terminus.

There was one I recall but I cannot remember where from.Basically it was a zoo with 00 figures and animals etc with an n gauge loco pulling n gauge passenger carrying trucks asa in a miniature gauge railway around the zoo.I think it also had sound,it looked a very handsome railway indeed.

My first real taste of club modelling occured in this period and I got to see what it takes to put on an exhibition, I got to see so many great layouts and had real fun and gained some good friends and modelling tips,

Inspirational layouts

Carron road,

Kyle of touge,

Litton mill

Ramsfield

I also remember a large layout modelled in the LMS period and based around a very detailed model of a village which could be displayed as just the village without the railway, the first time I saw it, it was just the village and I spent a good while just looking at that, but I cant remember what it was called.

I was always under the impression that Pipers Mead was a permanent layout, although I vaguely remember the many of the buildings were constructed on separate bases. I may be wrong, though, given that it's nearly 40 years since it was Railway of the Month in RM and 25 since I binned my original RM collection.

My first real taste of club modelling occured in this period and I got to see what it takes to put on an exhibition, I got to see so many great layouts and had real fun and gained some good friends and modelling tips,

Inspirational layouts

Carron road,

Kyle of touge,

Litton mill

Ramsfield

I also remember a large layout modelled in the LMS period and based around a very detailed model of a village which could be displayed as just the village without the railway, the first time I saw it, it was just the village and I spent a good while just looking at that, but I cant remember what it was called.

It could also have been a layout built by Wakefield RMS member Tony Morris based on Hutton-le-Hole in the North Yorkshire Moors.  The trains were secondary to the scenic modelling but he did have it operating at at least one Wakefield Show at Queen Elizabeth Grammar School.

• 2 weeks later...

In case I may not have mentioned it earlier, the Central Cheshire by Don Rowland.  I only have glimpses in various magazines from the 60s - the planning article in 500th issue of the MRN, one on building the engine shed possibly in MRJ...

Another stand out candidate for a decent length, copiously illustrated high quality book.

• Like 2

In case I may not have mentioned it earlier, the Central Cheshire by Don Rowland.  I only have glimpses in various magazines from the 60s - the planning article in 500th issue of the MRN, one on building the engine shed possibly in MRJ...

Another stand out candidate for a decent length, copiously illustrated high quality book.

'Tis my understanding Don sold the layout a few years ago. 

Malcolm

• RMweb Gold

Hi. One of the layouts that I liked back in the '70's was Yatton Junction by The Yatton Junction Group. It featured in the September issue of the Railway Modeller magazine, 1973. There were some good buildings on it, as well as scratch built track. Also it latterly had working signalling as well.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Dr G-F - The Central Cheshire was sold by Don a few years ago to another Scalefour Society member, John Sherratt, who has published a couple of articles in the Scalefour News lately about the layout in it's new home. It's still providing joy and inspiration.

Latterly Don wrote quite a number of articles, many operation-related, in MRJ over the past 10 or so years. Definitely worth seeking out.

Don has embarked on a new layout based upon fictional passenger operations - still LMS in the 30's, still in Central Cheshire.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not sure this is the right thread, but this layout fascinated me as a child in the 70's, although I never saw it....

Amongst some railway things handed down to me when I began to show an interest, was an old pamphlet for British Railways own Model Railway. It dated from the earliest days of BR and apparently was put together by the publicity department, and exhibited around the country for several years. The pamphlet dates from the mid-1950's I think. The layout was 40' x 21' and took the form of an inverted figure of 8, with a four road through station called Newtown, complete with engine shed and goods yard. It appears to be detailed Hornby Dublo-type layout with side conductor rail.

What impressed me then was the sheer size and complexity of it, and the huge control desk necessary - all a far cry from my carpet roundy-roundy. I suppose what impresses me now is that one of models listed is the 'Fell' locomotive! Many of the models it seems were made by staff at Stratford Works.

Does it ring any bells with anyone? I wonder what became of it.

Just finished idly scrolling through this thread - some marvellous memories!

I remember seeing Mac Pyrke's "Berrow" at a London exhibition (probably the MRC pre-IMREX Easter show) some time around the late 1960s, it was probably one of the first London exhibitions I attended.

Somebody on another thread mentioned Colin Boocock's "Weybourne" (RM article mid to late '70s?), I found that layout very inspirational because of the operational interest in a modest space and more importantly to me, region & era depicted (BR/SR c.1966 to end of steam) but I doubt I'd ever have had the bottle to convert class 33s out of Hornby AL1 electrics! Thankfully Lima brought their 00 model out soon after the article appeared.

Does anyone else remember a WCML based layout called (IIRC) "Lancaster Junction", featured in RM in the late '70s? I think the builder was a gent called Brian Taylor. The layout featured a branch to a station called Glasson, and the whole thing looked as if it was great fun to operate. Stock was very good for its time - mainly detailed/converted Hornby Dublo with a few TriangHornby locos and kitbuilds and I remember thinking that although the station itself probably bore little relation to the real Lancaster, the layout had real atmosphere. If anyone knows which mag it appeared in, I'd be grateful if they'd tell me as I'd very much like to read about it again!

"Castle Combe" by Ken Payne (EM, GWR) is another one I'll never forget - such a spacious, open feel - especially the Tyling branch line where the auto train appeared to traverse a considerable distance before it reached the terminus.

Lancaster Junction  was 'Railway of the month' in Railway Modeller May 1978

Edited by CKPR

It is not that "old" but I suppose due to my age there are a number of inspirational layouts that stick in my mind from Railway Modeller magazines in the mid 90s (although even that is nearly 20 years ago now!!). I had a couple of years worth that I must have read and re-read over and over again. A couple which really stick in my mind from that time...

Firstly a fantastic n-gauge depiction of Exeter St David's, Riverside Yard and even the branch to Barnstaple. It was a huge 'system' layout, really in a more of an American tradition but it was wondrous to a young impressionable lad! The sheer scale and complexity of it was just mind-blowing and even looking back at it now it shows what n-gauge is best for, scale length trains, in the countryside with plenty of space to breath. If I recall correctly it was in RM March, April and May 1996. 

And from one extreme to the other, a layout which will forever stay with me forever is Ivydale (All Hallows), a 16mm standard gauge depiction of a light railway terminus packed in to a very tight space of around 12' x 2'. It just shows the advantage of large scale modelling. It truly is a micro layout but it doesn't seem cramped or forced in any way. It really is worth a (re)look, I think this was in RM in around December 1996.

David 

• 2 weeks later...

I have fond memories from th 1950s of the 7mm scale railway in Derby museum, especially when it was operating on Saturday morning.  What happened to it?

I read somewhere that it got to the stage where it was requiring excessive maintenance to keep it going and sadly it was dismantled.  When and where I read this I can't recall.  I too have fond memories of reading about it in my friend's October 1968 RM when it was Railway of the Month, billed as 'Midland Magnificence'.  It was about that time that I first saw Grandborough Junction in the RM for October 1964.  I'd never seen a model railway look so realistic.  My friend gave me his copy and I can recall walking back home with my head almost dizzy from what I'd seen - and any part of Buckingham still amazes me now.  Size wise at the other extreme I still enjoy looking at Ian Futer's 'Ashleigh'. One more or I'll never stop; I always thought the December 1968 ROTM 'Huntshire' was fascinating.  Still do.    

I read somewhere that it got to the stage where it was requiring excessive maintenance to keep it going and sadly it was dismantled.  When and where I read this I can't recall.  I too have fond memories of reading about it in my friend's October 1968 RM when it was Railway of the Month, billed as 'Midland Magnificence'.  It was about that time that I first saw Grandborough Junction in the RM for October 1964.  I'd never seen a model railway look so realistic.  My friend gave me his copy and I can recall walking back home with my head almost dizzy from what I'd seen - and any part of Buckingham still amazes me now.  Size wise at the other extreme I still enjoy looking at Ian Futer's 'Ashleigh'. One more or I'll never stop; I always thought the December 1968 ROTM 'Huntshire' was fascinating.  Still do.    

There must be a new version as I saw it running in Derby Museum about 5-6 years ago when the Derby exhibition was on.

The BR exhibition layout mentioned, ended up at Stratford. The model rolling stock dispersed all over but the baseboards were stored as they were made of good hardwood. A friend of mine who worked on the railway, purchased the baseboards for the sum of £5 delivered to his house. Some was burned and some boards were used in his outdoor 0 gauge railway. The boards did not rot and lasted until my friend died some 30 yars later.

To this day I have never seen one of the locos but I guess they are still around somewhere!

Martin

• 3 weeks later...

If I'd known about it earlier, the Greenlane and Hillside Railway.  Right up my street in being primarily concerned with authentic operations and railway ambience.  

Weirdly, I hadn't heard of it until this past week when I picked up a copy of 'The Living Model Railway' s/h from the ever excellent Buffers in Axminster on my yearly visit there.

Anyone know more of this line?  I shall have to re-read Jack Ray, as he seemed to have chronicled many of the key O scale layouts through the 60s and 70s.

• RMweb Gold

If I'd known about it earlier, the Greenlane and Hillside Railway.  Right up my street in being primarily concerned with authentic operations and railway ambience.

It was featured in a series of articles in "Model Railway Constructor" in the 1960s. I re-read them several times.

'Heimdorf' by David Cox, featured in Continental Modeller about thirty years ago. The trackplan was Heimbach in the Northern Eifel region of Germany but the buildings and other features were from all over the Eifel.

Excellent scratchbuilt buildings on a totally believable layout.

Unless you look at some of the very much more recent Nfine layouts (which I suspect are not built by mere human beings!) this is German N scale as it should be.

I bought Heimdorf from David Cox back in 1985, built a new fiddle yard, made a few very minor enhancements to the scenery, and exhibited it a few times at Burgess Hill and Brighton.

It now lives in my loft, ironically not so far from the area it was meant to depict.

Sadly, David's hand built track using code 60 rail has deteriorated over the years and it would be very difficult to replace it without damaging David's superb scenic work. Otherwise, I would probably be exhibiting it on the continental circuit.

I did get one surprise when I bought it, the station building with its exquisitely-modelled front and sides has a plain back, just painted the correct colours without any features such as doors and windows.

I did get one surprise when I bought it, the station building with its exquisitely-modelled front and sides has a plain back, just painted the correct colours without any features such as doors and windows.

I have to admit to doing just this when a building only gets viewed from one side.

At least I can now rest easy knowing I am in good company :angel: