Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

I'd still go with Kolinsky, Poll.

Part of it is about how much paint is loaded in the body of the hair while it maintains a really fine point; so you don't need to dip so often, just when you are in the middle of that "long, beautifully curved line" that you don't want to break cos the re-start will show a pressure-smudge. 'Make any sense? And they do last a long time if looked after. :)

Hal.

I have noticed your affinity for the Japanese style strokes, and they certainly seem to have that ethos. Some of their work tends to have an almost supernatural work. I adore Japanese prints, especially those on antique kimonos. London museums have a great selection. I spent many many hours down in the bowels of the Victoria and Albert museum seeing stuff that rarely if ever goes on display. My college arranged access as I as very interested in Wayang Puppetry. A wide and complex subject, which is practiced quite differently in different parts of the orient. Many had men watching the coloured puppets from the front, whilst the women sat behind and only saw the shadows.Thee is a culture for flat puppets and 3D ones, and the Gods differ slightly from area to area thought they mostly follow the same ethos. The princes etc tend to have bowed modest heads, whilst the monsters have big florid and fat bodies faces often in green or red. It is also tied tightly to their vision of their religion. 

I have noticed your affinity for the Japanese style strokes, and they certainly seem to have that ethos. Some of their work tends to have an almost supernatural work. I adore Japanese prints, especially those on antique kimonos. London museums have a great selection. I spent many many hours down in the bowels of the Victoria and Albert museum seeing stuff that rarely if ever goes on display. My college arranged access as I as very interested in Wayang Puppetry. A wide and complex subject, which is practiced quite differently in different parts of the orient. Many had men watching the coloured puppets from the front, whilst the women sat behind and only saw the shadows.Thee is a culture for flat puppets and 3D ones, and the Gods differ slightly from area to area thought they mostly follow the same ethos. The princes etc tend to have bowed modest heads, whilst the monsters have big florid and fat bodies faces often in green or red. It is also tied tightly to their vision of their religion. 

You've hit the nail on the head regarding Japanese work - I've got bookcases full! I also love the puppetry, but had no idea about the alternate views.

Regarding Kolinsky, it is true that I became devoted using water-colour, but it's also true that a lot of well known "Artists and Illustrators" are paid to like synthetics. I can honestly say I've never found a synthetic that comes close. Something else I didn't know relates to the nature of the hair. Maybe it is that that holds the colour so well - all those micro-cups?

(I'm in the dog-house. "Coming, Dear - "

EDIT: I read your #8849 too swiftly and have repeated what you said about the hair! :blush:

(Oh gawd her soup's cold )

Edited by HAL 'O THE WYND

For the record, I'm really #issed off that the casting-depth on the Skaledale Terrace brickwork is so shallow! I've made a rod for my back with those. More of which on my thread (very) anon. :(

LOL well you can do the dirty work and I'll sit back and watch, as I have a good number of those terrace buildings for when I come to do our mining area. Theres the low relief, the  flat front, and the bay windowed ones, and some corner shops too......so get a move on so I can see how it goes .......;p

a very early 2011 probably part of AV before we moved onto something else.

med_gallery_17883_3051_80029.jpg3989terraces

we were never happy with the mines position, and much of it ended up reboxed.

• Like 5

LOL well you can do the dirty work and I'll sit back and watch, as I have a good number of those terrace buildings for when I come to do our mining area. Theres the low relief, the  flat front, and the bay windowed ones, and some corner shops too......so get a move on so I can see how it goes .......;p

I like it - apart from being too damn clean!

(helmet,  breast-plate)

Edited by HAL 'O THE WYND

People often ask for trains.....I no understand this desire for those strange little wheeled items.......;p

but having produced no new work for days....i though....okay I take loads of pictures......the odd train must be in them......some will of course be from a very much earlier version of AV,and the modelling etc will be rathe iffy. some picture will have been posted previously the number will give that away.....BUT if trains is what you like........trains is what you will have.....

awwwww......what do you mean it's not a train.....theres a loco and coaches.....;p

med_gallery_17883_2878_285829.jpg1822

how a bout this?

med_gallery_17883_2878_213341.jpg1824

look look....thats not dust... :no: ....thats modelling dust.....smoke from the chimney....... :sungum:

med_gallery_17883_2878_457414.jpg1826

:senile:  :senile:  :senile:

• Like 9

I really like the Hogwarts Castle loco   ........

People often ask for trains.....I no understand this desire for those strange little wheeled items.......;p

but having produced no new work for days....i though....okay I take loads of pictures......the odd train must be in them......some will of course be from a very much earlier version of AV,and the modelling etc will be rathe iffy. some picture will have been posted previously the number will give that away.....BUT if trains is what you like........trains is what you will have.....

awwwww......what do you mean it's not a train.....theres a loco and coaches.....;p

med_gallery_17883_2878_285829.jpg1822

how a bout this?

med_gallery_17883_2878_213341.jpg1824

look look....thats not dust... :no: ....thats modelling dust.....smoke from the chimney....... :sungum:

med_gallery_17883_2878_457414.jpg1826

:senile:  :senile:  :senile:

and those coaches   ......   

Do I notice a little maintenance at the front end, whilst it stood in the Station - or is that Photoshop?   ......     :scratchhead:

• Like 2

I really like the Hogwarts Castle loco   ........

and those coaches   ......   

Do I notice a little maintenance at the front end, whilst it stood in the Station - or is that Photoshop?   ......     :scratchhead:

no crashes, no bashes, no flashes or tricks, the light and the dust......and perhaps a touch of magic.................................

seriously she's as good as when she came out of the box.

• Like 4

as is this (the old heartbeat now ripped out)

Flying Scotsman 103 in wartime black

med_gallery_17883_2793_1681459.jpg1468

ignore the deep black smoke.....no no not dementors..........sssshhhhh....everthing is normal here......

med_gallery_17883_2793_368717.jpg1465

what do you mean there's a body on the floor.....she must have tripped.....or is she singing? Ol' Lang syne????????......

pay attention!!!!!! There's a train!!!!!!!!1

Edited by Jaz

schools class St Pauls.30909......smug face......

med_gallery_17883_2793_262600.jpg1464

Kidwelly Castle 4098

med_gallery_17883_2793_1191587.jpg1461

med_gallery_17883_2793_411772.jpg1462

now if I am boring you please say ;p.

Else I can pull more out of the archives to show that an occasional train does fly round.........

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jaz, just a bit of comparison on RTP low relief terraces.  Apologies for not getting it in before your move onto locos.  Bad timing, what!

We'd bought Bachmann high street terraced buildings but had to make a best-fit selection for Camel Quay in terms of facilities and building design.  Lining up the ridge tiles from one building to the next was one problem as well as the position of chimneys especially when the chimneys end up side by side.  But I still like them for all that and we can always match them better later on.  I don't think they are as deep as the Skaledale ones which suits CQ but I managed to squeeze in some table and chairs, diners and a waitress into the cafe (bought as a Launderette) and the baker's wife into the bakery.  Then I ran out of time, so the Chippy is closed (open evenings only, I expect) making it easier for the window cleaner to clean the windows.  The pub is also one of the terrace units.  The hotel and what will be Customs House, also Bachmann, complete the RTP high street buildings.  Another trashing job I'm thinking of doing is to give some of the brickwork above a shop or two a white render so they look a bit more "Cornish" although it was quite the thing for buildings growing up around the railway to be in brick though I don't know if that was typical in North Cornwall. The "old" part of the street is scratchbuilt stone terrace housing.

A pic on CQ (page 32 #778) shows a distinctly different style to Skaledale which, with some modifications, helps to gives CQ its character and giving character to a place is what you and Kal have become so good at.  Your mining area, Jaz will be great, and I'm sure we'll all be watching it's progress.

I've just come across this low relief tea shop on the Hornby newsletter.

http://www.Hornby.com/ye-olde-tea-shoppe-low-relief.html

Now that's my cup of tea but I doubt the wood cladding would have fitted in with CQ any more than it would in AV's mining area but maybe it's in some other corner of AV where we could go and have afternoon tea and a chin wag...? :mosking:   Excuse me while I rush out and buy it.  :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

as is this (the old heartbeat now ripped out)

Flying Scotsman 103 in wartime black

med_gallery_17883_2793_1681459.jpg1468

ignore the deep black smoke.....no no not dementors..........sssshhhhh....everthing is normal here......

med_gallery_17883_2793_368717.jpg1465

what do you mean there's a body on the floor.....she must have tripped.....or is she singing? Ol' Lang syne????????......

pay attention!!!!!! There's a train!!!!!!!!1

And a member of station staff drunk on duty.  Whatever next?  :drinks:

Hi Jaz, just a bit of comparison on RTP low relief terraces.  Apologies for not getting it in before your move onto locos.  Bad timing, what!

We'd bought Bachmann high street terraced buildings but had to make a best-fit selection for Camel Quay in terms of facilities and building design.  Lining up the ridge tiles from one building to the next was one problem as well as the position of chimneys especially when the chimneys end up side by side.  But I still like them for all that and we can always match them better later on.  I don't think they are as deep as the Skaledale ones which suits CQ but I managed to squeeze in some table and chairs, diners and a waitress into the cafe (bought as a Launderette) and the baker's wife into the bakery.  Then I ran out of time, so the Chippy is closed (open evenings only, I expect) making it easier for the window cleaner to clean the windows.  The pub is also one of the terrace units.  The hotel and what will be Customs House, also Bachmann, complete the RTP high street buildings.  Another trashing job I'm thinking of doing is to give some of the brickwork above a shop or two a white render so they look a bit more "Cornish" although it was quite the thing for buildings growing up around the railway to be in brick though I don't know if that was typical in North Cornwall. The "old" part of the street is scratchbuilt stone terrace housing.

A pic on CQ (page 32 #778) shows a distinctly different style to Skaledale which, with some modifications, helps to gives CQ its character and giving character to a place is what you and Kal have become so good at.  Your mining area, Jaz will be great, and I'm sure we'll all be watching it's progress.

I've just come across this low relief tea shop on the Hornby newsletter.

http://www.Hornby.com/ye-olde-tea-shoppe-low-relief.html

Now that's my cup of tea but I doubt the wood cladding would have fitted in with CQ any more than it would in AV's mining area but maybe it's in some other corner of AV where we could go and have afternoon tea and a chin wag...? :mosking:   Excuse me while I rush out and buy it.  :jester:

watch out lady? coming thruuuuuuu........I want it too!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hal i'll look into it, but for those that are NOT steamers......

D6717 BR Green

med_gallery_17883_2793_1289971.jpg1359

and the same from a different angle.

med_gallery_17883_2793_464863.jpg

All the background is old AV, and has all been updated.The wood exist, but is in storage. All removed when we went PIR.

• Like 5

another little diesel

med_gallery_17883_2793_398453.jpg0962

and just a little further to cross the river

med_gallery_17883_2793_1522307.jpg0748

I love making the picture out of focus, but giving the impression it is in focus, because your mind adds the finer detail.......

• Like 5

That green godess looks like it's about to take a swim!

it's a ford....and he just went through it......

We used to have one near where i lived as a child and the difference below 'low tide' and 'high tide' could mean the difference between your engine getting swamped!!!!!

The road sign used to say WARNING FORD AHEAD.....but no rain and you could walk through it, lots of rain and you could wade up to your thighs!!!!!!!!! I think it was a local joke, and VERY profitable for the local mechanic and tow man, and a source of vast amusement to the locals who knew better........

A long view....there's a train in thee somewhere......

med_gallery_17883_2793_1526161.jpg1577

nope its gone....this one arrived while I was looking......

med_gallery_17883_2793_461540.jpg0874

they are coming through at a prodigious rate.......the signal man must be sweating!!!!

med_gallery_17883_2793_784232.jpg0454

• Like 8

:offtopic:  i've just looked in :)

layout looking great Kal and Jaz :locomotive:

I was showing a part of AV that was ripped out to make way for the new Heartbeat area made from PIR. It was more about the fact 'people' having been asking me to show them trains.......as they are a rare sight on AV :angel: .....so I am attempting to give them trains in spades.......

• Like 2

Plenty of that style, if you know where to look, but most built of stone, so the Wolf Westerlies can't just "Blow the house down."  ...

Port Wynn isn't finished yet, so who'se to say what was built there  .......     :senile:

and the wood clad stuff I think would suit a sea side town, so Port Lynn could work......must go check out Port Wynn on Doc Martin........

There are still some older ones too and it would certainly be worth a few Ribs getting the Elbow, to make sure you get one in  .....    :jester:  :jester: