Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

This one is a frequent visitor to Kalboro, I believe it has even been pointed out that it loiters like a has been movie queen trying to get 'into camera shot' 

med_gallery_17883_2760_145231.jpg1728

turning up every chance it gets......

med_gallery_17883_2760_523168.jpg1727

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 9

one of my favourite pictures

med_gallery_17883_2760_86467.jpg1334

the low angle and light working well, the only 'problem' that on the right hand side there is the crease from the roof line

again there are pictures from the early days of Kalborough so there is a serious lack of ballast and track weathering

even the colouring of the platforms was updated from these early pictures

med_gallery_17883_2760_970765.jpg1344

• Like 8

I hope you have all your railway stuff listed for insurances purposes, other than just *household*. Feeling poorly and thinking I should list things, I was blown away by how much my few bits 'n pieces came to! - and that was just at a third of the original price. (Approximately what a decent dealer would give for good, boxed stuff)

Hal

I hope you have all your railway stuff listed for insurances purposes, other than just *household*. Feeling poorly and thinking I should list things, I was blown away by how much my few bits 'n pieces came to! - and that was just at a third of the original price. (Approximately what a decent dealer would give for good, boxed stuff)

Hal

No we got it covered,  :sungum:

• Like 2

First of all, a belated Happy New Year to you both.

Secondly, nice to see some movement on the railway, and it's coming along nicely, quite the difference with the pictures above, to what it is now.

And thirdly, The following picture, deliberately stolen from your thread....... :triniti:

The colouring on the crane and associated metalwork is sublime, what colour did you use for the base colour, as it has a very correct, green hue to it?

post-14906-0-90143400-1422376555.jpg

Jinty ;-)

• Like 3

First of all, a belated Happy New Year to you both.

Secondly, nice to see some movement on the railway, and it's coming along nicely, quite the difference with the pictures above, to what it is now.

And thirdly, The following picture, deliberately stolen from your thread....... :triniti:

The colouring on the crane and associated metalwork is sublime, what colour did you use for the base colour, as it has a very correct, green hue to it?

attachicon.gifJaz picture.jpg

Jinty ;-)

I remember researching the effect at the time, but to be honest have quite forgotten how I came about the decision, so unless I wrote it in the post........,

HOWEVER...I can link you to the pages where I did the work, and for my own use I always include the colours I am using ......so I too can go back and check it out LOL......

Luckily it was one of the first things I did after Kal started the thread

page 4...... post 95.........kals crane

"http://www.rmweb.co....-4#entry1069380"

shows the colour, and several posts cover the build. People had not asked me at that time to cover each step.....so it will be a bit choppy. The yellow might not look right...BUT it will be the one I used. And as it is in the airbrush booth....I obviously mixed airbrush and hand work. The citadel transparent colours would have been added last, and the rail match opaque colours added first. 

Having just look at page 5, I do remember I thinned the paint to go in the airbrush, and found i had to do several layers, and like the effect of the plastic showing through underneath led me to only adding a few layers of yellow be I started the weathering. Have a look and if you have any question after I'll see if I can clarify. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

one of my favourite pictures

med_gallery_17883_2760_86467.jpg1334

the low angle and light working well, the only 'problem' that on the right hand side there is the crease from the roof line

again there are pictures from the early days of Kalborough so there is a serious lack of ballast and track weathering

even the colouring of the platforms was updated from these early pictures

med_gallery_17883_2760_970765.jpg1344

"Crease from the roof line"

Ah.  That's what you know.  What I see, especially with all that soft focus(!) is a typical cloud formation seen from our northwest facing windows - the back edge of a weather front with clear sky beyond heading our way.   :D

Edited by southern42
  • Like 2

more careful setting up of where to photograph helps make it harder to see the parts that still need attention..

med_gallery_17883_2760_950975.jpg1594

each little bit you add helps the 'look'

med_gallery_17883_2760_1162201.jpg1639

this one was a bout weathering the building, hence the loco only just coming into view

med_gallery_17883_2760_435182.jpg1701

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Now those atmospheric photos give me an idea.

There have been so many layouts or views I've not photographed because of difficult lighting - the ones where there are big windows directly behind or roof lights such as at Barrow Hill Roundhouse.

I guess it's time to experiment and try and get moody pics rather than go for detail. 

My theme for Stafford, then?

• Like 1

Now those atmospheric photos give me an idea.

There have been so many layouts or views I've not photographed because of difficult lighting - the ones where there are big windows directly behind or roof lights such as at Barrow Hill Roundhouse.

I guess it's time to experiment and try and get moody pics rather than go for detail. 

My theme for Stafford, then?

Polly

I find that the pictures with the shadows or light effects do add something, I also find there is only a small window of opportunity to get them. In my opinion my best pictures are taken early morning or late dusk. And the best lighting opportunities are in the summer when those shadows et are there for longer giving you more opportunity to 'set up' a nice picture, rather than race to capture something before the light goes.

I remember thinking Lincoln Central was hard to photograph because of strong light through a back window, and now I would look at it as a photographic opportunity. Will look forward to seeing the results, which of your threads will you upload the picture on, as I know several people are hoping to see pictures of the Stafford Show.

these yellow ones, will need some weathering in due course

med_gallery_17883_2760_392535.jpg281sacks / kalboro

although they were only background noise to the pallets in the front that I had added kitchen food wrap to in order to make them look more like the real thing

again some pictures can display them better than they are

med_gallery_17883_2760_159155.jpg282kalooro

• Like 2

Nice to see the trains Jaz. There's certainly a lovely collection there. I know a train ETHEL would look lovely on.

Out of interest how's the other side of the Attic coming along?

Hope you and Kal are well.

Cheers

Marcus

Well we placed an order with a builder last September, and he actually rang US to say he should be in a position to do it within the month. :O Once the two Veluxs are in place, there is nothing to stop us getting on with it. We took the opportunity whilst waiting to upgrade the insulation in that area, and complete check the flooring and move wires into better positions. Kal added also more lighting. Kal has also built two tables frames, having worked out how we will navigate the two bars holding the roof together ready and is chomping at the bit to get in there......

So builder in....job done....and some serious decisions over placement of tables will commence, and a whole new era of terraforming will take off.We already have some good ideas of what aspects will get a place in this new area. Water features, and trams are BOTH ideas that will get in, and a mining area, and a batter airport (though that might yet fit in the original part of AV).........I think we will need a T.A.R.D.I.S. eventually....he keeps eyeing up the garage!!!!!....BUT there is room for several ideas that we have planned, and we already have some items to populate those areas in question including buildings, stations, and rolling stock.

Kal already showed how he will motorise all the trams, so far only one has been done, as we do not want stock stood waiting for homes. And a number of modelling materials beside the PIR are boxed ready for use.

I suspect it will eat up our birthday and Christmas and wedding anniversary etc in no time at all......LOL......good thing we are both interested in this. Plus it should mean the thread owner starts posting again doing the aspects that particulalry interest him.

Nice to see the trains Jaz. There's certainly a lovely collection there. I know a train ETHEL would look lovely on.

Out of interest how's the other side of the Attic coming along?

Hope you and Kal are well.

Cheers

Marcus

Oooooh what do we need for Ethel?

Oh and we will probably by asking for input, as the ideas evolve, any creative ways to helping make them look good in the areas, and also how to roll one into the next without adding scenic breaks. We have already discussed the facts that in this part of the loft the leading edge of the tables does not necessarily have to be a long straight line, allowing tracks to move quickly into different depths of the layout, and using PIR to help with the height issues. We have to go above and below the tie bars, so the top of the window frames are limited by the 'under the tie bar' then support for lift of scenery WHEN it is not supporting track will also be done. But more of that when we start into the old loft. We have used the time to work on the problems we know will occur, and hopefully some of the solutions we are intending to use will work out well. 

Tables will therefore tend to be 8ft or 4ft long by 3ft deep, although the scenery layer will be deeper, coming forward or going back as the roof line allows to maximise space, and the table pushed backwards or forwards so a track does not need to have too sharp a curve in order to be further back or forwards on the next table, allowing different depths of scenery around the tacks......This concept is probably hard to follow....me making myself as clear as mud LOL.....I will be doing pencil drawings later, which will clarify.

• Like 1