• RMweb Gold

Back in the man cave today trying out a couple of things. I now have enough material to build the baseboards for Southampton, so I am going to gradually build up to a full mock up of the track layout to decide where the baseboard join and  point motor locations will be. The first mock up was the 5' radius curvature of the platform roads, to make sure I will be happy with the appearance of coaches standing thereon:

post-12721-0-81751900-1419707713_thumb.jpg

post-12721-0-49304800-1419707721_thumb.jpg

I'm happy with that - what do you guys and girls think??

The next was to mess about with the 4 track section to see how various permutations look

4 six foot gaps

post-12721-0-35298500-1419707730_thumb.jpg

central pair at six foot with a 10 foot gap to the outer tracks

post-12721-0-22090400-1419707739_thumb.jpg

two pairs at six foot with a 10 foot centre gap

post-12721-0-39587200-1419707749_thumb.jpg

I don't think I have mentioned that I have tested a method of lining the tunnels through the internal wall and have found that there is satisfactory clearance using 65mm square downpipe. That will mean some compromise to use any of the previous three alignments. This fourth one would be possible using 4 single bore tunnels side by side. Gaps are PECO expanded six foot in pairs with a slightly greater than 10 foot centre gap

post-12721-0-02394300-1419707758_thumb.jpg

Again, be very grateful for any thoughts. Tomorrow I plan to cut 4 sections of "tunnel liner" and re-do the fourth mock up exactly. Not going outside to cut UPVC in the dark and cold.  I am also a couple of bits of pointwork short to do a full trial layout so may pop out to the BVR shop and see if they have what I need in stock.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Thanks chaps, as I plan to have two overbridges across that section, would the supporting pillars make more sense of V4 if the large gap in the middle was clearance for that?

post-12721-0-59330900-1419762190.jpeg

post-12721-0-83165000-1419762487_thumb.jpeg

credit this photo RSGreenwood, reproduced here as ilustrative to my research

Edited by colin penfold
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Back in the man cave today trying out a couple of things. I now have enough material to build the baseboards for Southampton, so I am going to gradually build up to a full mock up of the track layout to decide where the baseboard join and  point motor locations will be. The first mock up was the 5' radius curvature of the platform roads, to make sure I will be happy with the appearance of coaches standing thereon:

attachicon.gifIMGP5605.jpg

attachicon.gifIMGP5606.jpg

I'm happy with that - what do you guys and girls think??

The next was to mess about with the 4 track section to see how various permutations look

4 six foot gaps

attachicon.gifIMGP5608.jpg

central pair at six foot with a 10 foot gap to the outer tracks

attachicon.gifIMGP5610.jpg

two pairs at six foot with a 10 foot centre gap

attachicon.gifIMGP5611.jpg

I don't think I have mentioned that I have tested a method of lining the tunnels through the internal wall and have found that there is satisfactory clearance using 65mm square downpipe. That will mean some compromise to use any of the previous three alignments. This fourth one would be possible using 4 single bore tunnels side by side. Gaps are PECO expanded six foot in pairs with a slightly greater than 10 foot centre gap

attachicon.gifIMGP5612.jpg

Again, be very grateful for any thoughts. Tomorrow I plan to cut 4 sections of "tunnel liner" and re-do the fourth mock up exactly. Not going outside to cut UPVC in the dark and cold.  I am also a couple of bits of pointwork short to do a full trial layout so may pop out to the BVR shop and see if they have what I need in stock.

Carriages look surprisingly good on the 5' radius.

Thanks chaps, as I plan to have two overbridges across that section, would the supporting pillars make more sense of V4 if the large gap in the middle was clearance for that?

Well, if you're going to start planting road bridges all over the place then, like Mike, yes. :good:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Despite an interruption by royal decree to do a bit of DIY in the bit of the house where everyone else lives, I have spent a good bit of time in the man cave today.

First thing was to cut the UPVC "tunnel bores" which will protect the trains through the holes in the internal wall.

I tried the 4 track section alignment again and I think I have settled on the two pairs of tracks at PECO 6' with a scale 15' between the two pairs (as per v4 above)

post-12721-0-26252900-1419881288_thumb.jpg

post-12721-0-73273400-1419881297_thumb.jpg

although V2 (central pair at 6' and two outer tracks at 10') could work:

post-12721-0-41192600-1419881306_thumb.jpg

I then laid out the approach pointwork to check the spacings for baseboard cross members

post-12721-0-04899000-1419881317_thumb.jpg

And then did the same for the platforms and yards

post-12721-0-81339800-1419881327_thumb.jpg

I now have the full framework plans so I'm ready to build the baseboards, and I have finalised where the holes in the internal wall need to be to access the area where the spiral will be. Progress! 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Wow, you really mean business Colin. That must be the first major DNSR-related construction work since the old company was originally built. Forward ho to Southampton, the DNSR lives again!

Edited by Mikkel

I wondered of there would be interest in a thread using the Iain Rice book "Layout Design" published by Haynes as a basis for planning the layout.

Does anybody know of a source of this book at a sensible price please.

I've bought several other of Iain's books but this one seems out of stock everywhere, or about £50

Many thanks,

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Does anybody know of a source of this book at a sensible price please.

I've bought several other of Iain's books but this one seems out of stock everywhere, or about £50

Many thanks,

Jim

cant see the haynes one anywhere online but this book http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Model-Railway-Layout-Design-Ian-Rice-Wild-Swan-Publications-00-EM-P4-N-TT-0-/121529982023?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item1c4bc05c47 if you dont have it is a good set of plans with quite a lot of Rice philosophy thrown in. Do keep looking though, it's a great read if you can get it. Try the second hand bok stall at you local preserved railway too.

cant see the haynes one anywhere online but this book http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Model-Railway-Layout-Design-Ian-Rice-Wild-Swan-Publications-00-EM-P4-N-TT-0-/121529982023?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item1c4bc05c47 if you dont have it is a good set of plans with quite a lot of Rice philosophy thrown in. Do keep looking though, it's a great read if you can get it. Try the second hand bok stall at you local preserved railway too.

Thanks for the link, that is one that i do already have.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

indeed!

I think I would be sealed up in my man cave to enjoy the space invader on my own!

I know you're only messing with my head, and logic tells me there is no engineering reason why the holes are a problem, but I don't think I'd do that many - just in case

Just a thought Colin have you got some auto hole blocking device available to stop the invasion of the small rodents etc that might track walk into your man cave.  I ask because I've had to spend some time seeking out pencil sized gaps to infill to stop field mice and the like from seeking food and refuge in our house.  Once in they can spread and multiply very quickly and we have a cat too who is just not interested in catching anything as he only eats quality prepared food of his dish and can not be expected to chase for his tea.  :nono:  :jester: :locomotive:

Regards

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Another useful book leapt off the shelves at the NNR Weybourne the other day

"The railways of Winchester" by Kevin Robertson  ISBN 0-906579-71-6

It's only an 80 page paperback but lots of good shots of DNS locations - as well as Chesil there are shots on Shawford (Hockley) viaduct, Kings Worthy and Shawford Junction. £6 well spent

• Like 1

Sounds like a useful purchase. I wasn't aware they were open at this time of year with no trains running. Before making the trip and to check the shop is open, I usually use the NNR's webcam at Weybourne to see if the guys have all the magazines laid out!

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like a useful purchase. I wasn't aware they were open at this time of year with no trains running. Before making the trip and to check the shop is open, I usually use the NNR's webcam at Weybourne to see if the guys have all the magazines laid out!

Hi Pete,

I tend to do that if I'm thinking of popping down with the camera too, although they have been playing up lately.

The purchase was made on Sunday the 4th - the last day of ops until February half term.

They do have some good stuff there and I love a walk through Sheringham Park to Weybourne for a coffee, look round the book shop and a lungful of steam :boast:

• Like 1