Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Gold

At that time, the class 319 units were used almost exclusively on the Thameslink services for which they were designed. Therefore any working other than those would be unusual. The 319 could, in theory, operate anywhere with third rail or overhead wires but the 465 to which it is coupled would be in trouble when the third rail ended. This is an empty stock move so the combination is not as unusual as a passenger working would be.

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
On 09/06/2020 at 17:15, Western Aviator said:

At that time, the class 319 units were used almost exclusively on the Thameslink services for which they were designed. Therefore any working other than those would be unusual. The 319 could, in theory, operate anywhere with third rail or overhead wires but the 465 to which it is coupled would be in trouble when the third rail ended. This is an empty stock move so the combination is not as unusual as a passenger working would be.

319s are normally 4 cars - what happened to the middle two cars?

OK - they are both 4 cars! They both looked like 2 cars to my casual eye.

Edited by Welly
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, LU_fan said:

The 319 pictured is 4 cars long.

From what I can see the complete train is 4 cars,

a 2 car 465 and a 2 car 319???

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, rab said:

Specsavers?

I can see what you mean. For some reason some of the gaps between the carriages show up less. But count the doors and windows.

• Agree 4
  • Funny 2

26 minutes ago, rab said:

I thought the same when I first came across the picture, but it's definitely 4 + 4.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 02/06/2020 at 11:41, Fat Controller said:

The shortening of various bogie hopper wagons, allowing them to run  longer trains of denser aggregates, has only been started over the past year or so. This working was probably being put into storage because of the reduction in coal traffic.

Hi Brian.

The first cut down (coal to aggregate)  wagons were the GBRF (possibly some ex-Fastline) IIA/HYA fleet in 2017.

HTAs to HRAs in 2018 (the prototype was also in 2017) and more recently a batch of HHAs being chopped.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, BR(S) said:

I thought the same when I first came across the picture, but it's definitely 4 + 4.

You're right, the angle the photo's taken from,

makes them look short, (well that's my story,

and I'm sticking to it). :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Western Aviator said:

........  The 319 could, in theory, operate anywhere with third rail or overhead wires but the 465 to which it is coupled would be in trouble when the third rail ended. This is an empty stock move so the combination is not as unusual as a passenger working would be.

I guess the Networker IS in trouble as the two types aren't - in theory - capable of working in multiple !!?! ( according to the great god Platform 5 )

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

I guess the Networker IS in trouble as the two types aren't - in theory - capable of working in multiple !!?! ( according to the great god Platform 5 )

Wikipedia says a 319 can run in multiple with a 365, 465 or 466 "for assistance only", whatever that means.

29 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Maybe traction & braking work but not lights, heat & PA ?

And possibly door control as well; Scotrail's Classes 314 and 318/320 could also run in multiple but not as a passenger service, I believe for that reason.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Former Waterloo & City Line departmental locomotive DS75 @ Brighton 1977

DS75

Lovely view of a DH25 compressor on the bufferbeam - normally tucked out of sight on the underframe of SR EMU's

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Smoke generator? Presumably, the unit is standing in for loco-hauled stock for filming purposes.

Possibly an episode of Poirot, one I watched recently on repeat had what looked like an SR EMU for the stock as they boarded it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, DK123GWR said:

As somebody who doesn't know much about the former Southern Region or EMUs (they're small ostriches, aren't they?) why would this be so unexpected?

23 hours ago, Western Aviator said:

19 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

There was a period when 319s were used as tractors for moving Networkers around between depots.  I can't remember the details now of why and when, it may have been when the Networkers were new, but whatever it was it will be one of those workings.

Edited by DY444
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

43 minutes ago, DY444 said:

There was a period when 319s were used as tractors for moving Networkers around between depots.  I can't remember the details now of why and when, it may have been when the Networkers were new, but whatever it was it will be one of those workings.

The original caption to the photo says it's a Slade Green to Strawberry Hill working - the latter's not natural territory for either class but I think it had an electrical ( research ? ) department.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think Strawberry Hill has been used for testing/commisioning EMUs since the '70s (508/455/refurb CEP etc), as well as having the Research Dept you mention.

Various vehicles (a lot of them Departmental) were based there:

Romeo & Juliet, the mk1 test cars used to evaluate power control systems i think (one had GEC, the other ??? but both had shoe-gear and body-mounted resistor panels)

ex-cl.501 driving cars, one became lab/test car Mars and i think was used as a test driving car for newly-refurbished CEPs. There was another which had experimental bogies & shoe-gear. Also the depot shunter.

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

14 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

The original caption to the photo says it's a Slade Green to Strawberry Hill working - the latter's not natural territory for either class but I think it had an electrical ( research ? ) department.

Before the introduction of the Electrostars and Desiros onto the former SR, there were only limited routes on which AC motored stock was permitted to run under its own power.  So if a Networker needed to be moved to a depot on the 3rd rail network but outside the permitted area (eg Strawberry Hill) then it had to be hauled.  Doing it with a locomotive was a bit of a faff because it required barriers so in the improvisational spirit of the former SR they came up with the idea of using 319s.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

just linked to this, if you wanted to run 3rd-rail units that were typically 'tied' to certain other SR-lines, you could always model somewhere on the Shepperton branch as that's where a lot of the testing was done. 

There must've been approval/permission to test/commission the new/refurbed units there, as opposed to out on the 'main line'.

• Like 1