Prototype for everything corner.

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

AFAIK all traction motors are DC, but I'm happy to be proved wrong on this matter.  I like the exhaust solution at the Australian factory; stick the nose end out through the wall!

All electric traction types from the Networkers onwards have used AC traction motors.   More recent diesel electric traction also uses AC motors (eg Classes 68, 70, 220/1, 222)

Edited by DY444
  • Informative/Useful 1

In this situation traction motors seem irrelevant! -

Given the stated  ownership and pedigree of Bob White, providing a switchboard with synching equipment if it's required won't be an issue.  Looking at the size of plant this outfit work with, they may well be used for testing purposes and not connected to the grid supply.

The first time I heard of this type of use for locos was a Canadian article back about 1995- 2000 when a loco was lifted off the tracks and run along a street under it's own power to ultimately provide emergency power to the public network during a big freeze. Can't remember exactly where, but they were clearly able to meet domestic supply frequency requirments.

21 minutes ago, jf2682 said:

Montreal during the ice storm of 1998 which took out a lot of the Canadian grid in Eastern Ontario and Quebec.

Specifically Boucherville, a town just outside Montreal. Here's a quite detailed description, including information on how the unit was run to provide power at appropriate frequency:

https://steemit.com/history/@kiligirl/remembering-canada-s-worst-ice-storm-ever-part-5-postscript-what-happened-in-my-home-town

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, pH said:

Specifically Boucherville, a town just outside Montreal. Here's a quite detailed description, including information on how the unit was run to provide power at appropriate frequency:

https://steemit.com/history/@kiligirl/remembering-canada-s-worst-ice-storm-ever-part-5-postscript-what-happened-in-my-home-town

Can't have done the road surface much good:jester:

3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I like the exhaust solution at the Australian factory; stick the nose end out through the wall!

Eh? the whole loco is outside, only cables go through the wall.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I believe it was quite common to use locomotives as emergency auxiliary power supplies in Soviet Russia, especially during winter.  They went in for a lot of community/area centralised heating systems for apartment blocks over there. 

• RMweb Gold
Just now, melmerby said:

Eh? the whole loco is outside, only cables go through the wall.

On closer inspection you are right; the telephoto lens fooled me. 

9 minutes ago, melmerby said:

From that article:

"... the loco went under its own power about 1000ft from the rails, on its own flanges, and left deep grooves in the pavement which had to be repaired afterwards. I'm pretty sure there was a consensus of "who cares" about the pavement - they could fix that in summer in the land of eternal potholes ..."

• Like 3

1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

I suppose that in theory seeing a steam loco and Class 50 together in the 60s shouldn't have been that unusual as there must have been a few months overlap between their introduction and the withdrawal of BR steam, but it's just that I've never seen one before so....

D417 and 8Fs May 68 An unidentified class 50 works through Garstang & Catterall Station on the 1M37 service possibly to Birmingham circa 1968. It is seen passing one of only a few steam locomotives still in use at this time. I Cuthbertson collection

Always seems jarring seeing blue diesels and steam but in some places it will have been common for nearly a couple of years, always love seeing pics like these, fascinating era. Also love pics of steam on incongruous wagons like HAA's and nuclear flasks, anybody got a pic of a freightliner set with steam on the front? That would be great!

Cheers 

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I believe it was quite common to use locomotives as emergency auxiliary power supplies in Soviet Russia, especially during winter.  They went in for a lot of community/area centralised heating systems for apartment blocks over there. 

During the miners' strikes and power cuts of the early 1970s, IIRC a Class 08 (3999) was stabled in the Up bay (now platform 2) at Oxford to provide an emergency power supply for the station. 

• Informative/Useful 1

9 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

Also love pics of steam on incongruous wagons like HAA's

Coalville open day, 5/6/83.

4027 was moving some HAAs around:

1682191023_Coalville1983.jpg.f8286b278411041eb561a75855db23dc.jpg

and there was this combo too, saddle tank 'Progress' and 56052:

1406177445_Coalville1983b.jpg.17f5901c98cc7d683fd49de2eff3af00.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, caradoc said:

During the miners' strikes and power cuts of the early 1970s, IIRC a Class 08 (3999) was stabled in the Up bay (now platform 2) at Oxford to provide an emergency power supply for the station. 

And an EE Type 3, later Class 37, was used in a similar capacity at Bridgend stabled in the old Barry bay.

22 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

I suppose that in theory seeing a steam loco and Class 50 together in the 60s shouldn't have been that unusual as there must have been a few months overlap between their introduction and the withdrawal of BR steam, but it's just that I've never seen one before so....

Don't forget that BR mainline steam and blue liveried locos and stock co-existed for several  years in some parts of the country.  So seeing steam engines next to blue diesels was an everyday sight.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

17 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Don't forget that BR mainline steam and blue liveried locos and stock co-existed for several  years in some parts of the country.  So seeing steam engines next to blue diesels was an everyday sight.

In theory, I was in one of those parts, but somehow failed to notice the blue diesels!

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

And an EE Type 3, later Class 37, was used in a similar capacity at Bridgend stabled in the old Barry bay.

Yeah, but it's like seeing pictures of blue grey coaches with steam engines. I know it must have been fairly common but it still looks slightly odd to my eyes. I think because the Class 50s were the first?? diesel to only ever be in rail blue and seem more modern compared to the Modernisation Plan classes, so it seems a bit jarring to see them next to dirty old steam loco.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Yeah, but it's like seeing pictures of blue grey coaches with steam engines. I know it must have been fairly common but it still looks slightly odd to my eyes. I think because the Class 50s were the first?? diesel to only ever be in rail blue and seem more modern compared to the Modernisation Plan classes, so it seems a bit jarring to see them next to dirty old steam loco.

There is quite a well-known photo of steam-hauled blue and grey coaches; The Liverpool portion of the Edinburgh/Glasgow - Liverpool/Manchester express, from Preston on 3.8.68; the very last steam hauled passenger train on BR. I'm not sure Trev52 of this parish didn't photograph it as well, and put it on the thread he ran here a couple of years ago.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Folks,

One for @LMS2968 here, 22:07 is as near to home as it gets for me although the narrator "deent prerrnaunce Bosscurr reet".

Quite a bit of Blue Grey action in this one including steam hauled Mk2's and LMS porthole stock.

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
LMS porthole stock
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/03/2020 at 20:12, jessy1692 said:

Always seems jarring seeing blue diesels and steam but in some places it will have been common for nearly a couple of years, always love seeing pics like these, fascinating era. Also love pics of steam on incongruous wagons like HAA's and nuclear flasks, anybody got a pic of a freightliner set with steam on the front? That would be great!

Cheers 

James

Not steam, but a single Class 25 looks quite odd to modern eyes, and is probably 35 years or more since it last happened.

25145_1981_06_Attenborough

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

Not steam, but a single Class 25 looks quite odd to modern eyes, and is probably 35 years or more since it last happened.

Looks far too small for a train that length! Good pic

• Agree 2

24 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

Lovely day for a walk. The guard could get out for a stroll and pick some blackberries whilst he waited for the driver to catch up...

• Funny 6

10 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

One for @LMS2968 here, 22:07 is as near to home as it gets for me although the narrator "deent prerrnaunce Bosscurr reet".

Quite a bit of Blue Grey action in this one including steam hauled Mk2's and LMS porthole stock.

Gibbo.

Thanks Gibbo. I covered a lot of that area in 1968 on various railtours. The highlight was a kind driver who let me on the footplate of 4891 for the 9.0am Liverpool Exchange - Glasgow, which had a Black Five on Mondays and Saturdays as far as Preston. I saw him a gain a few weeks later when he arrived with the evening return train, and I was again on the footplate of 5149. We dropped the stock at Kirkdale carriage siding then Light Engine home. I went only as far as Maghull, as getting back to Liverpool from Lostock Hall might he been a problem!

Happy memories!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Titan said:

Lovely day for a walk. The guard could get out for a stroll and pick some blackberries whilst he waited for the driver to catch up...

Saw this done for real in the summer of 64 on the TVR Roath Branch in Cardiff.  A 94xx barely moving with a coal train bound for the docks while the fireman walked alongside filling the loco’s bucket with blackberries.  

• Like 5