Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, keefer said:

I take it that's Peak no.4 as the half-disc was still the same into blue livery!

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/151693-class-44-livery-d444004-into-blue/&do=findComment&comment=3842071

Looks like D9 with those grilles and the half that's missing off D4 is the opposite to D9.

Maybe there was a problem with discs on class 44s

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mark Saunders said:

Not really as there are many miles of tramway, just not freiht using them!

But the driver doesn't have to get out and operate it!:)

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, eldomtom2 said:

A use for an unpowered Kitmaster perhaps?

1692016519_2020-03-2211_27_26-KindleCloudReader.png.06f6252f258b1f3ac7ab9a7969669626.png

City of Truro being moved to a goods yard for road transport to the GWR Museum in 1962.

I wonder how they coupled to it?

4 hours ago, eldomtom2 said:

A use for an unpowered Kitmaster perhaps?

1692016519_2020-03-2211_27_26-KindleCloudReader.png.06f6252f258b1f3ac7ab9a7969669626.png

City of Truro being moved to a goods yard for road transport to the GWR Museum in 1962.

I was thinking models that look like the real thing! 

Regards 

Guy

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, russ p said:

Looks like D9 with those grilles and the half that's missing off D4 is the opposite to D9.

Right enough, hadn't noticed that oops!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, melmerby said:

I wonder how they coupled to it?

Hi Kieth,

When moving locomotives in this way when I worked at Riley & Sons we used a short towing chain with rings at each end. One end is put over the hook of the wagon with the other end having the drawer bar pin through it. The whole would be shunted carefully for if the chain jumped the hook the locomotive, having no brakes, would be away. We generally used a flat truck as a van would foul the overhang of the cab roof on most locomotives.

Gibbo.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Kieth,

When moving locomotives in this way when I worked at Riley & Sons we used a short towing chain with rings at each end. One end is put over the hook of the wagon with the other end having the drawer bar pin through it. The whole would be shunted carefully for if the chain jumped the hook the locomotive, having no brakes, would be away. We generally used a flat truck as a van would foul the overhang of the cab roof on most locomotives.

Gibbo.

I suspect something more reliable would be required for a movement across running lines particularly with a hauled movement like that one.   Using ordinary couplings with various 'ideas' of connecting them to thing to which they aren't designed to connect is an operation fraught with problems should a coupling go slack for any reason

Edited by The Stationmaster
correct typo
  • Agree 1

Once moved a 4-VEP trailer after re-railing from the DWS at West London Jn into Clapham Yard using a Class 73 and a long length of rope through the VEP cab windows (the buckeye was buggered and couldn't be dropped …………………. :rolleyes:

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LMS2968 said:

2968's frames being shunted at Bridgnorth following the boiler's removal, 22/7/14.

DSCF6907s.jpg

That adaptor could be knocked up quite quickly in a typical railway machine shop.

• Agree 1

On 22/03/2020 at 11:56, russ p said:

Don't think I've ever seen a picture of a loco with half a disc missing

On 22/03/2020 at 13:30, keefer said:

I take it that's Peak no.4 as the half-disc was still the same into blue livery!

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/151693-class-44-livery-d444004-into-blue/&do=findComment&comment=3842071

On 22/03/2020 at 13:35, russ p said:

I don't think it applied in the case of the 44s, but some locos fitted with headcode discs could have them folded "up" or "down". The lower half of the disc had a circular glazed hole for the marker light to shine through so the upper portion of the disc could be folded down to cover the lower half and the light. However, on some classes the lower portion of the disc could be folded up and held in the upper clip, which the showed the back of the lower half, including the glazed circular window.

Have a feeling this was on EE designs.         

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Covkid said:

I don't think it applied in the case of the 44s, but some locos fitted with headcode discs could have them folded "up" or "down". The lower half of the disc had a circular glazed hole for the marker light to shine through so the upper portion of the disc could be folded down to cover the lower half and the light. However, on some classes the lower portion of the disc could be folded up and held in the upper clip, which the showed the back of the lower half, including the glazed circular window.

Have a feeling this was on EE designs.         

I think all disc fitted locos could be folded either way , on those pictures the discs are all over 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 22/03/2020 at 06:41, melmerby said:

The switch in the public highway is quite novel to us Brits

I see your switch and raise you a diamond in the road.  At nearly 90 degrees.  On a dual carriageway road.  At a road junction!

• Like 9