LMS 10000 / BR 10001 in black livery - Rails Sheffield

Andy Y

It could well mean that pre order levels for those versions are very low, making the proposed run unviable. I had a similar situation with the Dapol/Hattons BR Green versions of 10000/10001, which I had on pre order, these were delayed until eventually Hattons announced they were not going to be produced.

I was similarly stuffed over the Co-Bo from Hattons - modelling the Derbyshire Peak District I really needed the original wraparound window version - an all over green model with revised windows was a deal breaker :-(

(does anyone do replacement windows for the Hattons model ?)

• RMweb Gold

I was similarly stuffed over the Co-Bo from Hattons - modelling the Derbyshire Peak District I really needed the original wraparound window version - an all over green model with revised windows was a deal breaker :-(

(does anyone do replacement windows for the Hattons model ?)

Do you have a file?

Seriously though, the thickness of the body moulding would make that a fairly involved project.

Although curving the glass would be interesting.

Mike.

• 2 months later...

I didn't have chance to take any photos, but a pair of samples have recently appeared in one of the display cases at Rails. According to the shop staff, there are some minor amendments still to be made before the models go into production, but they both look very good nonetheless. Now where's my credit card...

I didn't have chance to take any photos, but a pair of samples have recently appeared in one of the display cases at Rails. According to the shop staff, there are some minor amendments still to be made before the models go into production, but they both look very good nonetheless. Now where's my credit card...

Photographs in this blog entry: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1535/entry-15800-railsbachmann-lms-twins/

Ill see your 14th June 2011, and raise to 23rd May 2010

You beat me by two days.

I still don't know what's happening with these, are they being only sold in the set? My pre order for one is still showing.

When I was in the shop last year the guy didn't know much about them.

I have the original LMS one on order and I am considering getting the box set with both loco's in.

What were the visual differences between the 2 prototypes when they were first constructed in the black livery other than 10000 having LMS on the side?

thanks for any help with this

Stuart

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Also a price increase for the box set by 20 pounds

the single boxed locos have been increased by 10 pounds as well.

Still way short of the £400 or so for the FIA Trains ....for ONE. A thought ?

The world has changed .We perhaps need to play catch up.

I have on order a black 10001 with small early BR crest (1954 - 1956).  I see they are currently offering only three versions of the LMS Twins, one of which is 10001 with no crest (1948 - 1951) catalogue number 31-999X.

Are there many detail differences between the one I originally ordered & the one currently being advertised?  If not, I will order the advertised model & just add a crest.  I am not concerned if the handrails or the rivet patterns are different!

Yes, the price has gone up to £134-99 - an increase of £26 on the original £109.  Not unreasonable considering the £109 was quoted almost 5 years ago.  I still consider it good value for money, especially if it is as impressive as the NRM/Bachmann prototype Deltic.

By twist of fate, I order the Dapol/Hattons 10000 with early crest before the rails/Bachmann announcement. Once it was announced, I did not cancel my order even though it was cheaper. Years went by, and Hattons released 4 Dapol models, one of which was 10001 with an early crest. Curiously 3 of the 4 models were for the slightly less popular 10001!

About 2 years later, shortly after the Bachmann (non exclusive) late BR ones came out, Hattons put the two BR 10001s in the bargain bin (although still more expensive than the Bachmann late BR ones if £10 cheaper than the yet to be done Rails ones. I promptly cancelled my 10000 early crest order and brought the 10001 early crest instead. At the time I figured I could always get the 10000 in early crest from Rails if reviews were favourable.

Now the Early crest Rails ones are dropped (or at best postponed) and the price has gone above Hattons original price for the LMS ones - although judging from reviews it is a better model too. Meaning that only the Hattons/Dapol 10001 early crest model is the only mass produced early crest twin to be produced. At the time I was seen as being quaint buying my 10001 when there was a better model around the corner, but with hindsight, I,m glad I did.

I'll admit to being a bit hacked off that the early crest pair has been abandoned. This was the one I had on order. No idea how much I'd have to materially alter a green version of either to conform with the 1955 spec but neither have I the enthusiasm for the task.

Never mind, saves me £250 I can't really spare anyway.

Are Kernow still doing the Bullied diesels? They are very high on my list of most wanted models not yet made but it all seems to have been silent for a long time.

When Chris Trerise (Kernow's owner) published his blog a few months ago updating the progress of their models, the Bulleid diesels were advised as still to be produced and are still in the research stage, with Chris's comment that he will have to go to the NRM to research for material, so it sounded as though it will be some time yet. I suspect that like the D600 Warships, it will need a master model to be produced in a bigger scale, due to no prototype surviving and probably limited plans, before tooling can be cut, It is a shame that they have not been advanced, still I have my Silver Fox model of Bulleid 10203, which with the Kernow delay, was worthwhile changing the original Lima pancake motor.

I was in the Rails shop today buying my last track for the layout. Had a good look at the black models in the showcase, and eventually put in an order for 10001 in plain black, it looks superb, and will make my green 10000 feel less lonely!

As for either on them reaching Hunstanton (or at least my fictional layout based on it)......

Still, in my parallel universe, the M&GN never closed in 1959, had some upgrading, and in my timescale saw some diesel work from the Leicester end. 10000/1, class 28, 44, even GT3; all downgrade from mainline duties by newer locos and being used by some Rule or othe (was it Rule 1?).

Stewart

I have on order a black 10001 with small early BR crest (1954 - 1956).  I see they are currently offering only three versions of the LMS Twins, one of which is 10001 with no crest (1948 - 1951) catalogue number 31-999X.

Are there many detail differences between the one I originally ordered & the one currently being advertised?  If not, I will order the advertised model & just add a crest.  I am not concerned if the handrails or the rivet patterns are different!

I think I have found the answer to my original question!

Checking through my extensive collecton of books on BR I started looking through my 'British Railways Illustrated' annuals.  In BRILL Annual No. 8 (Christmas 1999) there is a 19 page article on the LMS Twins by Henry Thomkins from their original design to scrapping.  The numerous photos have very informative captions & show the position of the BR emblem - whether it is early, late, large or small & actual dates.  So I will change my order to the 31-999X model & just add a small early crest for a 1954 to 1956 model.

It's a bit of a shame that apart from the as-built boxed pair the "Twins" have not been made available as matching set unless one removed the yellow panel from the green 10001 as some here have done..

I suppose after seeing the Heljan prototype diesels released in quite quick succession, we may have thought these would be easier than they have proven to be. 

In the end it came down to unfortunate circumstances. The sad loss of Dick Flower early on, the subsequent switch to a wholly in house Bachmann production, the delays that these events caused coinciding with the release of the Dapol version. All this at a time when Bachmann felt it's profit margins were being squeezed.

It will take a little dodge to be able to team up the LMS Twins with the SR Triplets (eventually) but if we ignore some of the finer details that Bachmann/Rails have decided aren't commercially realistic (such as the LMR/SR lamp iron options) and remember that Heljans one-offs weren't entirely flawless, we'll still have a pretty good depiction of the evolution of BR diesel traction. Not forgetting the evolution from Q-kits, via Silver Fox to Bachmann/Heljan.

Back when Rails announced their intention to produce these models, the late Dick Flower invited expressions of interest in the various options.

As things have turned out, four of the five versions I signed up for have been, or are to be produced and I'll do as "Crewlisle" suggests for the other one therefore my own disappointment is minimal.

It's a strange, almost philosophical thought that the initial excitement caused by the announcement of these models has been tempered somewhat, not only by the time it has taken but also by the other unexpected delights we have witnessed in the interim. I hope that the Black and Silver pair will seem as special as they should by the time they arrive.

With all that in mind, I'm off to admire a certain 4-4-2 in the daylight.

RP

Archived