Decorated Samples of Class 101

Nobby (John)

The first vehicles fitted with two marker lights and route indicator were 50210 and 56062. 

Yep your right. I've even got it highlighted in my notes. So disregard my earlier posting. Bachmann has the running number/body style correct.

I've deleted my earlier magumba to avoid confusion.

P

The blue power car version should have a rectifier regulator unit fitted to it, it has the later mod of a small box for the regulators, it also has the wrong exhaust system. The green version has the same box, where it should have a much larger box (tonum panel) and dynamo next too it, it also has the wrong exhaust system.

The first vehicles fitted with two marker lights and route indicator were 50210 and 56062. 

So is it spot on or not?

The green one still doesn't do it for me. The lining looks too thick and the top lining looks too close to the window frames

Still think the Limby has the edge.

Img_1103_zps83aaca21.jpg

My first post on this thread though I have been watching. I like my Lima 101s and with a bit of work they come up pretty well, having looked at the Bachmann blue grey one    I think it looks quite good and definitely the bogie gap and underframe detail and front end are better than the Lima/Hornby model. If I needed more 101s and I could be tempted I would buy one though the price is another factor. 

Here one of my Lima 101s with Hornby motor at work on Llanbourne. 

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-69457700-1407025068_thumb.jpg

Green one looking good to me.  Are you happy with it?

Thanks for sharing.

Yes, very happy. We already have the green Lima model and this latest version shows just how good the body & glazing are on the Lima one. The chassis and motor are where the Bachmann one gains though. I can see me adding the blue version to my fleet soon.

I gave in and bought a green one with speed whiskers. Whilst I'm mostly impressed its annoying that Bachmann have gone back to the awful virtually orange LED's for the interior and marker lights. Whilst a little bit bright they got these right on the 105 and Derby Lightweight but seemingly have gone back to yellow LED's on the Met Cams. Might have to now dig out my warm white surface mounts, especially for the interiors. Don't think I have any small enough for the markers though.

Having got my hands on one and had a chance to give it a look over I find it something of the proverbial curate's egg.

Guttering is soooo much better on the green version compared to the Limby. This to me counters any minor dimensional errors in the window size/positions in creating an impression of a 101.

The close coupling cams are great. First time I have seen them on a DMU.

However the bar is far too long and you cannot simply swap it for a shorter version unless you have one that will maintain the electrical connections.

Including a shorter version would have been a nice nod to the more scale minded enthusiast.

Short Roco type fits perfectly with a Modellers Mecca gangway but you then loose the lights in the trailer car. (My normal method with previous Bachmann offerings)

A rethink of my normal methods is needed.

Previous Bachmann DMUs have allowed the setting  up of mixed units. With this model that becomes more difficult physically and electrically.

The destination box does appear to be too deeply set back from some angles and I find this disturbing. But then I am easily disturbed.

As a long time supporter of continuous improvement I like most of what they have done.

The little niggles do grate, but all in all I rate it quite highly.

Bernard

Hello Bernard

However the bar is far too long and you cannot simply swap it for a shorter version unless you have one that will maintain the electrical connections.

Can I redirect you to  the link above to my Blog.  Bachmann do supply a shorter coupling bar (36-062) - pack of 4 available from lots of outlets at around £6.00 including postage.

Regards  Ray

Hello Bernard

Can I redirect you to  the link above to my Blog.  Bachmann do supply a shorter coupling bar (36-062) - pack of 4 available from lots of outlets at around £6.00 including postage.

Regards  Ray

Yes Ray, I had read that, thanks, very helpful.

It is slightly frustrating that they do not supply one with the unit.

They have done so with some steam locomotives in the past.

I suppose it is just typical of the lack of standards in UK 00 where just about every coach I purchase needs a different approach to get it to couple to another.

Considering the 101, with some very positive improvements, I still give my vote to the 105 as the best DMU so far produced by Bachmann.

By the time they get around to a Gloucester unit they might be near to perfection.

Naughty. Wish listing again.

Bernard

• 2 weeks later...

HELP!!!

Just purchased a blue and grey 101 today. Have taken the four screws out but do you think I can get the body off!! Any suggestions please I would be eternally grateful. Thanks in advance.

Marcus.

4 screws out.

Starting at one end slip something long & thin upwards between body and chassis.

Aim is to release the body pips that register into the downward extensions of the glazing moulding.

See Pic.

post-508-0-48518900-1409163635.jpg 

Hth

Porcy

Many thanks Porcy. Sorry for not responding earlier. Your advice worked a treat. By the time I'd put my Bite Card, RAC membership card and a couple of others in, it came off a treat. Didn't want to pull on it to hard to start with in case there was something else holding it.

It's now decoder fitted and running round on the layout.

Thanks again.

Marcus.

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Just one thing to add, which I found on my DMBS. When it came time to place the body back on to the chassis, I found that I had to work it on from the back to the front. It definitely would not fit back on the other way round no matter how hard I tried! Also. on reaching the cab-end, at first, it just would not go back into place on the chassis - no sure why - until I gave it a really hard 'knock', which resulted in the body finally 'clicking' back into place on that end of the chassis. All of this is not really for the faint of heart!

All is well with that class 101 DMBS now, thankfully!

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

Is there ever likely to be one produced in refurbished white with blue stripe livery?

I'm sure that will depend on how well the current versions sell. I suspect we will see other liveries such as NSE and 3-car variants first, but Bachmann has produced a Class 108 in those colours so why not a Class 101 - eventually.

• RMweb Gold

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but, do we know if Bachmann are considering producing the 4 headlight 'prototype' version of the 101? As a GE section modeller it has to be that one!

Hi, Geoffrey Chaucer. I think that for this we all will have to wait until the announcements to come in March, 2015. Also, regarding the 101, I feel that we will also have to see how well it sells. Hope that this will be of some help.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but, do we know if Bachmann are considering producing the 4 headlight 'prototype' version of the 101? As a GE section modeller it has to be that one!

Hi, Geoffrey Chaucer. I think that for this we all will have to wait until the announcements to come in March, 2015. Also, regarding the 101, I feel that we will also have to see how well it sells. Hope that this will be of some help.

All the best, 

Market65.

I agree but if it's any comfort Bachmann has tooled up the 4 headlight version in N gauge (see Farish 371-502) so it is likely that the same option will also be available in OO. But of course the current versions of the model have to sell well enough for new versions to be made.

I reckon they are bound too - I've recently backdated my Lima one, about 99.5% completed, so a RTR one must already be on the slow boat from China.

Stewart

I agree but if it's any comfort Bachmann has tooled up the 4 headlight version in N gauge (see Farish 371-502) so it is likely that the same option will also be available in OO. But of course the current versions of the model have to sell well enough for new versions to be made.

I'm displaying my utter lack of knowledge here, but are we talking about the pre-101 Met-Camm Lightweights or the earliest Class 101s? (Fingers and toes crossed.)

• RMweb Premium

I'm displaying my utter lack of knowledge here, but are we talking about the pre-101 Met-Camm Lightweights or the earliest Class 101s? (Fingers and toes crossed.)

The Farish model I referred to is an early Class 101. The DMCL is 50160. See Hatton's photos here: http://www.ehattons.com/32923/Graham_Farish_371_502_Class_101_2_car_DMU_BR_blue/StockDetail.aspx

I'm certainly referring to the 79xxx series in East Anglia. We never had any 101's until the dmu reshuffles in the mid-60s.

Stewart

Wonderful - I need them for East Anglia myself. Hopefully they will be developed. Thank you!

Archived