Abandoned Wagons, coaches and rolling stock

18B

Didn't work for me, either, Jamie.  Best I can come up with is the Graces guide entry https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/P._and_W._MacLellan

where it seems they built bridges, piers and other iron and steel things and had a wide export trade - railway wagons and coaches were only a part of their business.

My Nigerian work has all been in the west of the country - never ventured to the east or north.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Unfortunately that link doesn't  seem to work for me.  The interesting thing for me is that my father worked in Nigeria from 1938 to 47 and did a lot of train travel from landing in Lagos to where he worked in Eastern Nigeria.

Jamie

1 hour ago, eastglosmog said:

Didn't work for me, either, Jamie.  Best I can come up with is the Graces guide entry https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/P._and_W._MacLellan

where it seems they built bridges, piers and other iron and steel things and had a wide export trade - railway wagons and coaches were only a part of their business.

My Nigerian work has all been in the west of the country - never ventured to the east or north.

Sorry that the link doesn't work. I found the item by Googling 'Maclellan railway wagons'.

3 hours ago, Darryl Tooley said:

The vehicle nearest the camera appears to be to the same design as that shown on p68 of 'Birmingham Railway Carriage & Wagon Company: A Century of Achievement' ( Hyper, Wheeler & Wheeler, 1995), a bogie goods brake van built for the Nigerian Railway Corporation in 1960.  A quick trawl of the internet reveals a works photo of a similar wagon supplied by Gloucester.

D

I have a copy of that publication too and thats why I thought it might be British made.

• RMweb Premium

In case anyone was wondering, the Shenfield Shark is still there - saw it yesterday (but wasn’t able to get a pic) on my way from Chelmsford to Stratford (up the Hammers!)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

Just spotted this on Google Maps.

Seems to be quite a few abandoned coal wagons in the remains of the sidings to Swansea east dock. They look like HEAs, but hard to tell.

Hopefully the link works

https://www.google.com/maps/search/swansea+east+dock/@51.6223268,-3.8938378,267m/data=!3m1!1e3

I am not much of an expert on wagons, but you get a much clearer view if you choose 3D view and zoom in.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Titan said:

I am not much of an expert on wagons, but you get a much clearer view if you choose 3D view and zoom in.

The location will be Burrows Sidings; there were several HAA (or similar) abandoned on the siding that served the defunct Ford plant for a decade or so. However, the vehicles in the photo seem to be a solitary MEA, with several of the containers used for coal traffic from Wales to Scotland by Russells.

• Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, 25901 said:

Here's a pic  

Swansea Burrows Sidings.

The MEAs to the right will be empties, returming from Onllwyn to Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen. The train has to run to Burrows Yard to run round, as there's no direct route from the N&B to the District LIne. The containers from the aerial view can be seen scattered about; knowing that part of Swansea, I'm surprised the scrap fairy hasn't made a visit.

Sad to see the railway presence reduced to a handful of sidings; the group you've photographed originally had about 16 roads, along with two through tracks, and was only one of several such in the vicinity.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

The MEAs to the right will be empties, returming from Onllwyn to Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen. The train has to run to Burrows Yard to run round, as there's no direct route from the N&B to the District LIne. The containers from the aerial view can be seen scattered about; knowing that part of Swansea, I'm surprised the scrap fairy hasn't made a visit.

Sad to see the railway presence reduced to a handful of sidings; the group you've photographed originally had about 16 roads, along with two through tracks, and was only one of several such in the vicinity.

I went to Burrows sidings a few times in the early 80s, how times change. All the containers in the aerial view look to be on abandoned track, So I guess the whole area is now out of use.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

I went to Burrows sidings a few times in the early 80s, how times change. All the containers in the aerial view look to be on abandoned track, So I guess the whole area is now out of use.

There are just three loops left, along with the remnants of the Ford siding. The Ford siding was obviously laid with recovered material as, roughly where the solitary MEA is visible, there are not one, but two, 'breather joints' of the sort one used to see on CWR.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/09/2019 at 22:28, Fat Controller said:

The MEA rake is indeed the Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen to Onllwyn anthracite rake. The rake and associated spares are dumped at Swansea Burrows Yard today, technically abandoned as the last loaded train from G-c-G was May 2019.  

The Yard is still used to run around the Onllwyn to Immingham coal (HTA wagons) and any aggregate train ex Neath Abbey Wharf have to come here to run around before returning back to Briton Ferry and the mainline.

If you are looking for abandoned wagons in S Wales the old Marshalling (Hump) Yard at Margam Moors/Kenfig is usually full of disused stock.

• Like 1

On 01/09/2019 at 12:11, Colin said:

In case anyone was wondering, the Shenfield Shark is still there - saw it yesterday (but wasn’t able to get a pic) on my way from Chelmsford to Stratford (up the Hammers!)

I passed through last week,  the Shark is still present.

• Like 1

On 18/01/2014 at 15:48, Dan Griffin said:

there is a wooden bodied VVV van in Peterborough west yard, along with three ferry vans, one in each livery carried, dutch, bauxite and railfreight. a bream wagon and a oca wagon full of pea shingle. a southern region brake van at manea that's clocking up 30 years in the siding and the last time I wengt through diss on the train there some wagons stored in a disconnected yard there.

Pretty certain I photographed one of the ferry vans in Westwood yard back in the 1990s. I'll have to check..... (CJL)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, uax6 said:

I believe they are remaining as ferry vans, to act as store vehicles...

Andy g

I would be nice if they could be externally restored store vehicles, rather than the decrepit wrecks so often seen on 'heritage' lines.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1