Abandoned Wagons, coaches and rolling stock

18B

The TOPE mentioned by 'Pendlerail' is still there at Ince Moss near Wigan. It has been there since at least 1999 and by all accounts quite a few years before that. Despite having been there for the best part of 20 years it appears to be in quite good condition but with all the siding connections removed and poor road access I assume it will be cut up on site.

If any one is interested it's number is DB 970159

There was four derailed tank wagons on the Nuneaton-Hinckley line near to where it crosses Watling Street that were there for quite a long time twenty or so years ago. I understand that they have now been removed but does anyone know for how long they were there? I passed the site several times and was surprised that no effort was being made to remove them.

They are from a Toton to Stanlow depot fuel train which derailed either late 1995 or early 1996

• 1 month later...

Not strictly from the UK, but it was at the time of building in 1897:

18272003216_95752d064e_z.jpgMGWR 84, Clifden, Ireland

From my rather dull and vague notes on it:

MGWR 84 was built in 1897 as a 5-compartment third in Broadstone, according to Atock’s standard design for 3rd class modernisation. Seats 60. Two endmost compartments had a half-partition (half-back) between them, and a ladies-only compartment was present at the other end. One of 77 built between 1890 and 1900. “M,” suffix added to Midland stock after GSR amalgamation. Became a second in 1954 when third class was abolished. Became departamental 467A after withdrawal (1964?).

Preserved by GSRPS in Mallow in early-1980s, and saved by private members when the group collapsed. Arrived at Clifden Station House Hotel in 2000-and-something for eventual restoration for their museum (ex-trainshed). Restoration (which probably won't happen) will probably cost about €75,000. 

It's not really much of a shame, I suppose, we already have two others the same and a third which is very similar.

There was the very tattered remains of a GNR (of Ireland, that is) 6-wheeler near my house that I was eager to see, but unfortunately just before I was going to get a proper visit to it last year I had learned that it had fallen apart :(
As bad as it looks, it would have been interesting to see. However, I think the one at Downpatrick and the one in Omeath are similar enough
Edited by Jawfin
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...

When I first arrived in Norfolk, in 2004,I travelled daily by train from North Walsham - Norwich. At the Walsham end of Hoveton & Wroxham station were some long, disused sidings, one of which contained both an ex.LMS brake van and a ER/BR brakevan. Later, the sidings were removed, but one of the van's remain on a length of isolated track that has become part of a boat builder's yard. Travellers on the Bure Valley Railway will have a clear view of it (as do passengers on the 'Bittern line).

Edited by DavidR

Yes walk my Spaniel past them in Beckenham place park regularly. What is the story of these wagons?

CAT

I was told there had been a low speed collision involving 2 engineers trains at that location.

One wagon broke it's back, the other suffered less damage. Both are still there.

• 11 months later...

, and?

The thread has quite happily existed for four and a half years so (mis)named.

Mike.

But it does make searching for things difficult, if not impossible, if people misspell thread titles.

Probably why it has hardly had a reply for three years and everyone has been using a correctly titled thread.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/125660-abandoned-rolling-stock-in-disconnected-sidings/

Jason

• Like 1

Evening

Whilst reading the GUV thread, I wondered what the longest time a wagon has been abandoned for and is still there. Until very recently the GUV at the back of Derby station would have stood a good chance. Any other contenders?

The ones in my loft!

• RMweb Gold

The southern brake van at Manea must be a contender for been there the longest as apparently it developed a hot box on a train. As its totally unfitted must have been there since at least 1990ish but possibly the 80s

Ironically the yard ( Whitemoor) it was originally heading for has been closed ripped up then reopened, wonder if they are still waiting for it!!!

Edited by russ p
  • Like 5

The southern brake van at Manea must be a contender for been there the longest as apparently it developed a hot box on a train. As its totally unfitted must have been there since at least 1990ish but possibly the 80s

Ironically the yard ( Whitemoor) it was originally heading for has been closed ripped up then reopened, wonder if they are still waiting for it!!!

If the brake van developed a hot box and had to be knocked out, then presumably a replacement would have had to be put on the train?

[unless there was more than one brake van in the train, or this brake van wasn't being used in that capacity.]

• RMweb Gold

A loco could have provided in rear or if the gradient was level or falling the train could run at 20mph to a place where it could be terminated.

In the case of manea its level to March

• Like 1

Yes walk my Spaniel past them in Beckenham place park regularly. What is the story of these wagons?

CAT

Those wagons were used to transport Diggers, JCB type digging units to and from engineers possessions.  The Catford loop was under an engineers possession,  the wagons were stabled on the line while work in progress, unfortunately  an engineering train movement in the block being hauled by a class 37 struck the wagons and knocked them off  the track, the wagons have been abandoned ever since

Those wagons were used to transport Diggers, JCB type digging units to and from engineers possessions.  The Catford loop was under an engineers possession,  the wagons were stabled on the line while work in progress, unfortunately  an engineering train movement in the block being hauled by a class 37 struck the wagons and knocked them off  the track, the wagons have been abandoned ever since

I've only ever seen one* - from the train - is the second one 'well' hidden in vegetation or closer to the fence p'raps ? 

* not sure of the diagram but it's the B.R. fabricated version of Bulleid's cast steel well trolley

• Like 1

I've only ever seen one* - from the train - is the second one 'well' hidden in vegetation or closer to the fence p'raps ? 

* not sure of the diagram but it's the B.R. fabricated version of Bulleid's cast steel well trolley

They are definitely both still there, athough much easier to see in the winter when the vegetation dies back.

From what I've seen just after the weeds etc were cut back, the second one is almost in 2 parts having broke it's back in the collision. The other I think has a buffer missing.

Hard to see when passing at speed. Be interesting if the numbers could be found.

• Like 1

Pictures would be interesting as well!

From what I've seen just after the weeds etc were cut back, the second one is almost in 2 parts having broke it's back in the collision. The other I think has a buffer missing.

Hard to see when passing at speed. Be interesting if the numbers could be found.