Abandoned Wagons, coaches and rolling stock

18B

• 2 weeks later...

There used to be a 'Fruit D' and a pair of milk tanks near Finsbury Park station disappearing into the undergrowth about 20 years ago, are they still there?

I'm pretty sure thay have gone. I don't think they were technically abandoned. They seemed to be used in a Builders (?) yard.

Mark Austin

No-one has mentioned the wagon with trees growing out of it that has sat in the bay platform at Maidstone West for well over 20 years....

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Maidstone/@51.2699867,0.5162338,102m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x47ded602f8347067:0xa6f562520cb400cd

link may work - apologies if not!

As I recall that wagon featured in RAIL some years ago It ended up there having suffered a hotbox whilst part of a loaded ballast train in 1965!

• 2 months later...

Couldn't see anything.  Can anyone give more location details?  In the carriage depot?  Or the abandoned yard on other side of ECML?

There's an old electrification wagon in an abandoned siding near Heaton depot in Newcastle. It must have been there since at least the completion of the wiring of the ECML in 1991 or thereabouts. It's some kind of very short wheelbase single bolster wagon with a couple of A-frames mounted on it (which I presume held cable drums). All of the other departmental wagons that were left in Heaton engineers yard (including a very early MK1 corridor coach) were cut up on site about ten years ago.

https://goo.gl/maps/Arvm1

Arp

just caught up with the thread,

In regards to Jamie's post in January (post 35), I remember coming across this a few years ago online, the Kirkgate parcels:

http://www.lmsca.org.uk/stock/br-ccts.php

how long has that carraige been there at the west end of Huddersfield:

(top right of this pic)

http://www.webbaviation.co.uk/gallery/v/Yorkshire/huddersfield/aa04631b.jpg.html

• Like 1

I remember when I was growing up in Basingstoke I remember two wagons in the siding next to the Reading bay platform. Thinking back I think they were lowfits, and they sat around doing nothing for years. However last time I looked they had disappeared...

I like to think they were preserved but I doubt it.

They the only wagons I seen abandoned for certain, apart from a Frighterliner hopper dumped here in Dorchester for a number of months, probably due to a defect or something.

• RMweb Premium

The one at Huddersfield was used as a buffet wasn't it?

I think it was some sort of Childrens play scheme and it was certainly there in the 80's.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

I remember when I was growing up in Basingstoke I remember two wagons in the siding next to the Reading bay platform. Thinking back I think they were lowfits, and they sat around doing nothing for years. However last time I looked they had disappeared...

I like to think they were preserved but I doubt it.

They the only wagons I seen abandoned for certain, apart from a Frighterliner hopper dumped here in Dorchester for a number of months, probably due to a defect or something.

I think they went to MHR not too sure, and if I recall correctly there was some confusion over whether they should have gone to swanage railway or somewhere?

I'm not sure but didn't Preston Station at one point have a couple of abandoned GUV's in the Stations Parcel bay? I think they were in Saltlink livery? Unable to find any pictures but I was sure there had been a couple around the 90's.

Also for almost 20+ years there were the BOC wagons which used to be stored in the sidings to the west of Barnetby Station which were there so lon they rusted to the rails. They all finally were removed by road for disposal end of last year/early this year I believe.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, fascinating photo's. I've just got back from my cycle ride to Howden and coming back home via Holme-Moor, I can tell you that the former NER clerestory carriage body has gone. I'm not sure who has got it or whether it has just been scrapped.

All the best,

Market65.

I think they went to MHR not too sure, and if I recall correctly there was some confusion over whether they should have gone to swanage railway or somewhere?

Well it nice to here there still around.

Thinking about it more, I remember seeing some old wagons in the sidings at west end of Basingstoke's yards. Were they there a long time?

• RMweb Premium

Hi, fascinating photo's. I've just got back from my cycle ride to Howden and coming back home via Holme-Moor, I can tell you that the former NER clerestory carriage body has gone. I'm not sure who has got it or whether it has just been scrapped.

All the best,

Market65.

Is that on of the one's that's being used to re create the NER railcar and trailer.

Jamie

Is that ancient 4 wheeled tank wagon still at the  north end of decoy Yard Doncaster opposite where Carr Loco used to be.

Jamie

No, it has been done up at Livingstone by  Almond valley Heritage Trust http://www.ws.vintagecarriagestrust.org/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=13453

Paul

This was the original when at Tinsley http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/smbptank/e2fb26577

• Like 1

Couldn't see anything.  Can anyone give more location details?  In the carriage depot?  Or the abandoned yard on other side of ECML?

It's to the north-west of the mainline, just at the back of the new flats that were built on the old coal yard. I managed to take a couple of pretty poor photos from my friend's kitchen window last night:

post-1044-0-75134400-1402997137_thumb.jpg

post-1044-0-10000400-1402997169_thumb.jpg

It's sandwiched in a sort of no-man's land between the boundary fence and the new back fence of the housing development, still on a very overgrown siding!

Arp

Well it nice to here there still around.

Thinking about it more, I remember seeing some old wagons in the sidings at west end of Basingstoke's yards. Were they there a long time?

There were some Carflats and other items; I passed one of the Carflats on its final journey on the M3 some years ago. They'd been there for ages, and were falling to bits; the one I saw had broken its back.

They were indeed lowfits and somewhere I have some (old school film type) photos. 

Andy

It's to the north-west of the mainline, just at the back of the new flats that were built on the old coal yard. I managed to take a couple of pretty poor photos from my friend's kitchen window last night:

attachicon.gifIMG_9558.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_9559.JPG

It's sandwiched in a sort of no-man's land between the boundary fence and the new back fence of the housing development, still on a very overgrown siding!

Arp

There were several versions of these cable drum carriers but this looks to be one of those from the flat decked Conflat L - there were quite a lot of these in the North East. http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/conflatl/e17ee6b3f

Paul Bartlett

• RMweb Premium

Not quite sure if this fits in this thread, but it certainly looks like it was abandoned at some time!

seen on the end of the parcels vans at Crewe today.

Cheers,

phil.

post-4971-0-04447600-1403110739_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-98131900-1403110747_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-33920300-1403110759_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-44225800-1403110768_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The Shark Brake in Dutch livery that has been dumped in the siding next to Platform 1 at Shenfield for as long as I can remember was mentioned on Anglia Gen a few weeks back with regard to being removed. Not sure if it's been moved yet, I'll have a look on Sunday when I go past!

• 1 month later...