Announcement: new BRM Managing Editor

SteveCole

That does sound interesting.

A very brave decision considering the market appears to be fairly saturated already.

I have had Model Rail from the days when it first appeared in Rail Enthusiast and thinking of taking BRM instead. In fact I downloaded the digital version of BRM for the first time over the weekend, so a possible convert! There is a limit to the amount of magazines one can afford to purchase especially if you follow more than one hobby.

Hi CK and PT,

Indeed, yet it depends on quality and content, from what I have been told, both should be very good indeed and well worth it....Id best not say more at this time.

True there is lots of choice, yet with the correct approach I think that there is room for one more..

Kind regards,

CME

• RMweb Gold

New magazine?!!! Pitched between RM & MRJ?!!.

Blistering Barnacles !!!.

Recently gave an assurance to the domestic authorities that I would reduce my monthly magazine intake....Damn!!

This is going to prove tricky....

Rob

Recently gave an assurance to the domestic authorities that I would reduce my monthly magazine intake....Damn!!

She told me the other day exactly the magazines she's stopped you buying - at least you won't have to stand on tip toe every time you reach up for a magazine of the shelf at W.H.Smith !!

Brian R

• RMweb Gold

She told me the other day exactly the magazines she's stopped you buying - at least you won't have to stand on tip toe every time you reach up for a magazine of the shelf at W.H.Smith !!

Brian R

Fortunately I am normally accompanied by my good friends, Major General Orpington - Cleavage and the Very Reverend Dick Thrust, who assist in retrieving said publications from those dizzy heights.

At least I have annual subscription of Rubber and Plastics weekly to fall back on.....so to speak...

Rob

Ben,

you have done extremely well for yourself in the years I have known you and no one could be happier for you than me. You are and always have been a very personable young man with a vast railway knowledge and I wishj you every success in your new position with Warners.

Just one downside, all those nights watching "Owls" can't really be beneficial to you and I was expecting you to outgrow such bad habits as you grew older.

Kind Regards,

Derek.

Fortunately I am normally accompanied by my good friends, Major General Orpington - Cleavage and the Very Reverend Dick Thrust, who assist in retrieving said publications from those dizzy heights.

At least I have annual subscription of Rubber and Plastics weekly to fall back on.....so to speak...

Rob

I actually did have a subscription for Rubber & Plastics weekly, would never read it in public though. Strictly office material.

• RMweb Gold

I actually did have a subscription for Rubber & Plastics weekly, would never read it in public though. Strictly office material.

Back in the '60s, I am convinced I once saw, in a certain part of London town, a magazine called Rubber Nurse. This is second only to a computer magazine called Dragon User in its obscurity of content.

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps Ben, to whom I wish every success, will persuade Warners to get the magazine out of its wretched sealed bag? I suppose it stops people reading it in WHS but it also stops me from buying it. I'm sure I'm not alone in buying magazines for articles that interest me after browsing through them. That usually leads to me buying at least a couple of them each month but I'm afraid BRM is rarely one of them and I'm sure it would be if I knew what nuggets it contains.  

• Administrators

Perhaps Ben, to whom I wish every success, will persuade Warners to get the magazine out of its wretched sealed bag? I suppose it stops people reading it in WHS but it also stops me from buying it. I'm sure I'm not alone in buying magazines for articles that interest me after browsing through them. That usually leads to me buying at least a couple of them each month but I'm afraid BRM is rarely one of them and I'm sure it would be if I knew what nuggets it contains.  

The current issue (April) isn't bagged and the next edition (May - on-sale next Thursday) isn't bagged either. Hopefully you'll be able to have a flick through and decide to buy BRM.

Thanks for the best wishes - they are much appreciated. Interestingly, experience shows that bagged issues usually sell more copies at newsstand than standard issues, so more people must be enticed by them than are deterred, and people realise they are getting something extra for their money. However, as Coombe Barton rightly says, they are a necessity when magazines have extras such as supplements. We would get many more complaints if supplements were missing from large numbers of magazines across the country. Readers soon walk away if they don't get the extras they are promised! Perhaps the unbagged issues (April and May) will persuade you to give BRM a try, even when it is bagged! We also post the contents of the magazine on RMweb every month to help you decide if it's worth buying.

Ben published my first ever article in Model Rail back in 2008 in his First Edition as Editor, now last Month he had my Glen Roy as his first Month in charge of BRM, (it was already pre booked, no bribery was instigated).

Please have a flick through next Months as there is a really good O Gauge Layout in there, expertly photographed by Andy York, well worth a look.

Thanks again Ben for supporting the individual modeller, long may it continue.

Andy, alias Bodge :sungum: or Bodgit :O

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the best wishes - they are much appreciated. Interestingly, experience shows that bagged issues usually sell more copies at newsstand than standard issues, so more people must be enticed by them than are deterred, and people realise they are getting something extra for their money. However, as Coombe Barton rightly says, they are a necessity when magazines have extras such as supplements. We would get many more complaints if supplements were missing from large numbers of magazines across the country. Readers soon walk away if they don't get the extras they are promised! Perhaps the unbagged issues (April and May) will persuade you to give BRM a try, even when it is bagged! We also post the contents of the magazine on RMweb every month to help you decide if it's worth buying.

I, personally, don't like bags - never have - because they prevent me from gauging whether articles are pitched at a suitable level for me (or otherwise relevant).

However, I can remember a few years back - when one edition of a well known electronics magazine had a lot of articles about how to use some LED driver board, which was supposed to be attached to the front cover of every copy.

The trouble was that it was nowhere to be seen - and, when challenged, the magazine publishers merely issued a statement that they'd try to send out boards to readers who really wanted them, subject to availability.

For some reason, a number of branches of a major newsagent chain seemed to have loads of unsold copies - and a number of frequent readers (including me) decided that this particular issue wasn't worth bothering with.

Huw.

The current issue (April) isn't bagged and the next edition (May - on-sale next Thursday) isn't bagged either. Hopefully you'll be able to have a flick through and decide to buy BRM.

I do already buy it occasionally when I know it includes articles I'm interested in - often a specific layout or sometimes when a friend has bought it- but there are probably other editions that I would go for. I did browse the April edition and will do the same with May next time I'm in W.H.S.

• 3 weeks later...

Only just found this post, congrats Ben, from someone who grew up two minutes walk away from Wadsley Bridge station.

Thanks, much appreciated. With a username like that I might have to abuse my new admin powers and ban you though! UTO!

Only kidding; where did you live? We might know each other already.

Cheers

Ben

Archived