Temeraire

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

Just an update on progress thus far, all 7 roads laid on the traverser and all seem to line up okay with the two roads leaving it. Most of the platform road is in place and most of the small in fills for the pointwork throat cut. Now I have completed the traverser I have taken it down and put up the other scenic board to continue the track laying across the two boards. Camera wasn't around when the light was still good enough for pics but maybe I'll get a couple tomorrow.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all

And so, 48 days since the plywood was purchased track laying has been completed!

20_Tracklaid_160414.jpg.8a95e9fb1d567519a3e668eec0c3eb92.jpg

21_Tracklaid2_160414.jpg.dac11e0b7431cad7b4e5264cd0606a7e.jpg

22_Traversertrack_160414.jpg.229e9d68dc284790adc3c40376356c15.jpg

I need to cut the tracks at the baseboard joint in the centre and pack the layout away for the weekend as the 'outlaws' are visiting for a possible BBQ on Saturday so the conservatory is required! After that its on with the wiring.

Edited by Temeraire
  • Like 12

Hi Ian,

Just found your thread and would like to say What an Interesting layout you have got and operationally Very nice   :good: 

Did you get a chance to do any modelling over the weekend?.

Look forward to your next updates and will be watching with much interest.

Best Wishes

Dan :thankyou: 

• Like 1

Hi Ian

You seem to be proceeding at Warp speed (I think I would still be at the "Pencil and Paper stage"). The layout is looking very nice, do like the track plan. Think I will have to put DCC sound in my 33/1, so can bring it with the 4TC for a play in the summer months. Regards Nigel

Edited by Melangoose
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian

You seem to be proceeding at Warp speed (I think I would still be at the "Pencil and Paper stage"). The layout is looking very nice, do like the track plan. Think I will have to put DCC sound in my 33/1, so can bring it with the 4TC for a play in the summer months. Regards Nigel

Hi Nigel

On the early shift or couldn't sleep? A 33/1 + 4TC would be most welcome at an exhibition! :good:

Unfortunately not Dan but normal service has been resumed tonight with a start made on the wiring.  ;)

Hi Ian

I am soz to hear that you didn't get any modelling time over the bank holiday. Wiring eh .. Best of luck (not one of my favourites .. Much prefer ballasting).

Hope all goes well :good: 

Best Wishes

Dan   

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,

Its been a week since I updated and evenings this week have been about wiring which was completed tonight apart from a socket on the traverser.

23_Countrywiring_250414.jpg.a64095e3744debaf0c411c64df3811d6.jpg

Country end board showing droppers and their connection to a DCC bus.

24_Centrewiring_250414.jpg.d43ad2845412a6d3b36119e14ea8ac98.jpg

Centre baseboard wiring. All that's needed here is a cable to connect to the traverser and wires down to the controller which will be positioned under this board in the centre of the layout.

26_Brace_250414.jpg.36d5a46687e29fb7c60bee27c4731aa4.jpg

Centre board now erected complete with bracing and the end plates in situ to form a shelf for stock boxes and the controller etc. These additions to this baseboard stiffen the whole layout up.

25_Readytest_250414.jpg.1c7739850ad4748d5a40cefd5c71873f.jpg

Both scenic boards now erected complete with a connecting cable fitted to enable me to continuity test all roads/rails. This proved to be successful with all roads showing the correct connections and no shorts! I put the boards up diagonally across the conservatory in the hope that I could fit all three, but unfortunately the window needs to be about 25cm further out for the traverser to fit!

Over the next few days the plan is to clean up all the rails, connect a controller and have a test run. However, this may not happen until after the weekend as tomorrow I'm heading off to the Mid-Hants to ride behind 50027 and Sunday I'll be playing with Swiss trains at the Epsom show (I'm an emergency operator on Rhatia!).

Edited by Temeraire
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

it gets to the Exhibition Circuit soon.

Thanks Andy but not too soon! However, I do have a potential invite pending which gives me about a year :O  to get it in some sort of order, mind you I have had the first trains running over the last couple of nights. :sungum:

Forgot to say a video may well appear once YT has done its thing. ;)

Edited by Temeraire

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see something run and it prompted me to look back at where the platforms were going to be. I guess from the paper plan there's just one? This makes the second track in the loop so you'd really need a trap, as Beast spotted, between the point right on the FY entrance and the one directly after it. Now the clearance is a bit too tight but it would muck up your geometry so you could 'dummy' one made out of rail or move that second point back 3 inches to get one in. The other option would be the loop being a siding but then it would require a shunter authorising all moves on the loop and they'd be at slow speed as then they wouldn't motor up any of the points off it.

The red mark is where I mean, the yellow one would be the alternative if the three sidings were also controlled points but then each of them would have a trap so the red location is more likely.

post-6968-0-88553600-1398757589.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

Blimey you certainly don’t hang about Ian, very neat and tidy wiring. Good work.

Nice to see some action at Tidworth. I feel it won’t be too long before we see some Hoover action....

Funny isn’t it as I was never really into class 33s but the more I see them on RMweb the more I want one! Doesn’t fit in with my layout.....

I look forward to your next update.

• RMweb Premium

Just found this thread, Really like the idea, How big is it btw, or have I missed it, will follow this :)

Cheers fella

The scenic section is made up of two 1.4m baseboards with the traverser again 1.4m so 4.2m in total.

• RMweb Premium

I feel it won’t be too long before we see some Hoover action....

Thanks Alex

There should have been some by now but the memory card in the camera was full once the 33 got to the siding! SWMBO has now cleared off all the old photos so I'll have another 'test' later maybe. ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,

Unfortunately SWMBO and daughter out tonight and took the camera. :mad: 

So instead of making videos I ordered all the point motors and DCC controls plus the platform edging and a flippin' catch point! So once I get back from Guernsey on Thursday evening there should be a parcel from Merseyside waiting for me. :good:

• Like 2