Metropolitan Bo-Bo EP sample

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Gold

An interesting train for Sarah Siddons (prototype for anything department)>>

Looks like Mk.IId's 

Its been confirmed that its four Mk IId's and a Mk IIe.

The tour was 5th Sept 1982 and repeated 19th Sept 82.

• 2 months later...

Images are on the latest Gaugemaster newsletter. For August/September delivery.

Thanks Ian, checked the news section on Gaugemasters site and surprised that 3 of the models are expected this month - John Hampden; Sherlock Holmes (preserved) and Wartime No 1. Heljan certainly seem to have sorted out their production blockage, three new 'oo' gauge models in 2 months - whew

• RMweb Gold

This is one I really don't need.I have no passenger stock to run it with and I imagine that unless by some miracle some appears,there won't be any....no,I don't kit build

But I will buy.Why? Because once I got on the wrong train at Baker Street in March/April 1960 .Intending to get to Paddington,I got on a Met. train formed of compartment stock and had to get out at Finchley Road when I realised my mistake.You can guess the rest.As the song goes,"The Memory Lingers On".I remember it went like the wind and the compartment stock was of a bygone era.

• Like 1

Dan - my money is on the LT Museum grabbing SS for a 'Special' release.

This info may help you decide which model(s) to order for your time period....some are quite short!

A little research and reference to K R Benest's book Metropolitan Electric Locomotives indicates that the two models in Metropolitan livery seem correct:-

Number 20 finished in newly delivered livery with no nameplate therefore approx. 1922 to 1928 with footplate side sills in maroon.  Nice picture on page 31 of Benest's book.

Number  9 in post 1928 livery with tree-part bronze nameplate which basically remained unchanged until LT took over in 1933.

Also from the book:-

Number 1 was painted grey in Oct 1944 and repainted LT maroon in Nov 1954 (all bronze nameplates were removed for the war effort),

Number 8 was painted maroon (from grey) in Mar 1956 and fitted with a new aluminium one-piece nameplate and then scrapped in Jan 1962.

Number 5 was painted maroon (from grey) in Aug 1955 (also with new nameplate), and removed from service in Jan 1962 and based at Acton works on shunting duties.  In 1972/3 it was repainted and used in a rail tour together with No. 12, and then in 1973 transferred to the LT Museum.

Metropolitan Maroon and LT Maroon were different.  Some reports say that early Met Maroon was actually closer to Midland Lake but that it darkened over the years.  LT retained the Met Maroon until repainting in grey.  Post-grey LT Maroon was probably the same as No 5 is now.  I suspect however that the Met and LT models use the same maroon.

A look back at post #173 (above) will give you a history of each and the very limited periods each was in service in the versions offered.

I notice No 12 Sarah is not mentioned.......

They do look very good but for multiple operation you would have to go with LT Nos 5 and 8 circa 1956 to 1962....you could just squeeze in some Panniers as well then....

Edited by Jeff Smith
  • Like 1

That is the wartime livery, some of them retained that livery until about 1960 and some until they were scrapped. Not all members of the class carried the grey livery.

Hi

Apologies for bumping/replying to an older post- am only just catching up. Have been doing a bit of research about these locos in connection with a small writing project I have in progress so have been looking a lot at them. I would, respectfully like to dispute/correct your comment above re the grey livery. Firstly some background, Benest reveals that initially it was suggested at the Chairman's Conference that the wartime livery should be matt black and instructions were issued to Acton Works to paint the locos thus. However this did not happen (I shall have a further nose around the archives at Acton to see if I can establish a reason) as when the Chairman went to inspect the subsequent repainted loco- No 20- on October 5th 1942 it was discovered to be in Service Grey. Benest reports that the application of the livery to this loco and subsequent grey locos differed mainly in the description of the numbers and letters. The Chairman seemed to approve however and gave his formal approval for the grey livery to be applied instead. Most locos received the grey with nos 3 and 5 being unknown. Additionally No 17 was withdrawn on October 10th 1943 without receiving grey.

As the need to retain the locos post war became apparent it was decided to retain both the names and the pre-war Maroon livery. Both generally coincided with the overhaul programme but there was a desire to get the names back on as quickly as possible. This meant that four locos were still in grey when they received their new plates- the first being No 8 on October 5th 1953 in addition to Nos 6, 11 and 12. These received lined maroon in January 1956, May 1956 and December 1955 respectively. No 9 was by now a service loco (as March 23rd 1950) and was not reunited with the 'John Milton' name.

Post war restoration to Maroon started with No 16 (incidentally one of the last two grey repaints too) in December 1953. This featured front numbers only and had LT bullesyes in the previous number position on the bodysides. London Transport lettering was also not carried. The next four to emerge- No18 in late 1953/early 1954, No 14 in June 1954, No 10 in August 1954 and No 1 in November 1954 - differed from No16 in that the number was restored in place of the bullesyes- and all four still omitted the London Transport fleetname. A further change came with No 4 in January 1955 when it appeared with a bullesye motif on a plate at the end above the destination board. No 2 in March 1955 was similarly adorned. Both still omitted the bodyside London Transport lettering. The next loco repainted- No 3 in July 1955- received what became the 'standard' post war LTE lined maroon- with the fleetname restored to it's usual previous position, although not mounted on a board as in the grey livery. All remaining locos received this version with the earlier versions receiving it at a subsequent date.

One further 'oddity' was No 9 which on repainting from grey in September 1957 received unlined Maroon with 3 numbering. No 9 was used by this time as a service loco which worked the quarterly stores train on the District from Ealing Common- where it was the depot shunter- to Little Ilford Sidings at East Ham. Not all locos received the LTE maroon- No 17 withdrawn on October 10th 1943, No 19 withdrawn March 12th 1948, No 15 withdrawn on September 18th 1951 and No 20 withdrawn on April 26th 1954.

Hopefully the above makes sense and is of some use/interest. As others have mentioned it is well worth getting a copy of Ken Benest's "Metropolitan Electric Locomotives" 2nd edition to get a comprehensive history of these fine (and their predecessors) locos.

Edited by Natalie

I would have been very tempted with No 5 or 8 had I not scratch built No 5 in P4 a couple of years ago (post #155).  When someone takes delivery and is intending to convert to P4 or EM I would be very interested to know how easy/hard this would be.  I wonder if Heljan has made provision for this?

Received an 'order processed' notification from Hattons for 'Sherlock Holmes' about half an hour ago. Elementary my dear Watson. Can't use the model on my layout for area and location, but had to have such an iconic underground power loco from a bygone age, and will run it no matter what.

Edited by rembrow
  • Like 2

Received an 'order processed' notification from Hattons for 'Sherlock Holmes' about half an hour ago. Elementary my dear Watson. Can't use the model on my layout for area and location, but had to have such an iconic underground power loco from a bygone age, and will run it no matter what.

I broke down and ordered a Holmes from Hattons as well.  It will look just dandy on my mock Metropolitan station diorama with my LT Pannier, 3 plank wagons and brake vans (and the Mike Pett Holmes and Watson on the platform!).

At least i get the benefit of not having to pay UK VAT, but the price doubling to Canadian Dollars still hurts plenty!!

Stephen

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I imagine only a select few can find "justification" for the purchase of one of these.I suspect the twinge of "I don't really need it do I ?" will be a short - lived blip of conscience. My ( eventual ) reasoning will be....I'm likely to be one of the few on this forum who had a short trip in an LT stock train hauled by one whilst in everyday service.Sorry if I'm repeating myself....it's the age thing ....reliving one's youth.

• Like 3

Justification - For acquiring Sherlock Holmes..

(1) Its a Study in Scarlet... (Maroon if one were to be more precise)

(2) There is no RTR dreadnaught stock currently available for it to pull -

but if we all get one then someone who owns a model train company will know there is a real demand out there and make some...

(3) It will run beautifully on an Innsbruck styled Tram track,

(4) It will look terrific in a cabinet where it will make for an interesting talking point amongst one's 'Canadian' friends.. (who will never understand..)

(5) For those who can't afford the new S stock - It will fulfill their urge to go LT along with ... (please feel free to fill in the blanks!)

(6) It looks kind of scary.. especially emerging from a fog bank.. (memo to self - get some dry ice and test this out).

(7) It would be more than a 'Bohemian Scandal' if one were to miss this opportunity and later crave one and find that they were all sold..

(-8-) ....

Please add to this list...

Edited by Bill
  • Like 2

Justification - For acquiring Sherlock Holmes..

(1) Its a Study in Scarlet... (Maroon if one were to be more precise)

(2) There is no RTR dreadnaught stock currently available for it to pull -

but if we all get one then someone who owns a model train company will know there is a real demand out there and make some...

(3) It will run beautifully on an Innsbruck styled Tram track,

(4) It will look terrific in a cabinet where it will make for an interesting talking point amongst one's 'Canadian' friends.. (who will never understand..)

(5) For those who can't afford the new S stock - It will fulfill their urge to go LT along with ... (please feel free to fill in the blanks!)

(6) It looks kind of scary.. especially emerging from a fog bank.. (memo to self - get some dry ice and test this out).

(7) It would be more than a 'Bohemian Scandal' if one were to miss this opportunity and later crave one and find that they were all sold..

(-8-) ....

Please add to this list...

(-8-) The Voice of Terror says I must get one

(9) Otherwise the Scarlet Claw may get me some foggy night.

(10) Or the Lady in Green might appear to me :O